Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] P$$s Poor Again at home! No PASSION!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nope.

As I pointed out to [MENTION=4667]Munkfish[/MENTION] these are the actual average positions taken from player GPS. March is playing just behind Maupay and there is no left wing back in front of Cucurella. When I played centre back if I'd have been that wide consistently I would have been hooked. Potter made no substitutions other than Welbeck. He was clearly happy about where our defenders were positioned, despite the massive gaps.

A proper 3 CB / 2WB gives no space up the middle and allows the wide players to attack and defend. We basically parted the red sea in the middle, while they allowed Lamptey to have our own half and their corner flag but not the space in between.

Gerrard 1 - 0 Potter

You're wrong.

Gerrard 2 - 0 Potter.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If Burn is still here March doesn’t play. This is my mine gripe. Every time Potter seems to be getting somewhere the suits making the transfer decisions do odd things- not signing players in positions we are short, selling an in form player, signing players and loaning them out. Signing a striker and loaning them straight back to the club we’ve just signed them from!
Sometimes it just feels a bit like Potter is saying ‘what exactly are you expecting me to do with this?’.

Ever since Bloom took over at Union our signings have dropped considerably and the ones we do make benefit Union not BHA. No reason why the latest Pole we signed couldn’t play for us this season as he’s good enough to play for Poland or why Undav didn’t make the switch in January to try and score a few more goals to push us up the table if he’s been scouted as PL quality.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Nope.

As I pointed out to [MENTION=4667]Munkfish[/MENTION] these are the actual average positions taken from player GPS. March is playing just behind Maupay and there is no left wing back in front of Cucurella. When I played centre back if I'd have been that wide consistently I would have been hooked. Potter made no substitutions other than Welbeck. He was clearly happy about where our defenders were positioned, despite the massive gaps.

A proper 3 CB / 2WB gives no space up the middle and allows the wide players to attack and defend. We basically parted the red sea in the middle, while they allowed Lamptey to have our own half and their corner flag but not the space in between.

Gerrard 1 - 0 Potter

But they are the average positions taken over the 90. First half we had a back 3 with March as left wing back. Second half back 4 and March playing on the right. March is showing in the middle on the GPS stats which clearly shows the change.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But goals and wins at home are what keeps the majority of fans happy, not nice little 10 yard passes.

One home win in five months. With two weeks until our next home games againt liverpool and Spurs, there's a very good chance it will become one home win in 6 months (And that being a sparsely attended 8pm boxing day televised kick off). From the same manager who managed one home win in the 12 calendar months of 2020.

Probably not particularly profound, maybe a little obvious, but his home record will harm his legacy. Any discussion about his place in the list of best Brighton managers this, plus his inability to beat palace, will be used to argue him down the list. As a long-time STH who rarely ever goes to away games, I certainly feel like I'm not as enamoured with him as some of our more travelled fans.

I have the answer, we need two managers: one for home games and one for away games.:D

Nah. What we need to do is replace all the seats at the amex with red ones, and to be more welcoming to away teams and supporters, remove all the Albion branding and replace it with our opponent's logos etc. Then everyone in the east and west stands need to wear either neutral clothing or away team colours. Then, the team need to get a coach with dark tinted windows and be taken on a two hour drive around sussex and the surrounding areas on their way to the amex. So we can trick Graham and the boys into thinking they're playing away.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Probably not particularly profound, maybe a little obvious, but his home record will harm his legacy. Any discussion about his place in the list of best Brighton managers this, plus his inability to beat palace, will be used to argue him down the list. As a long-time STH who rarely ever goes to away games, I certainly feel like I'm not as enamoured with him as some of our more travelled fans.

But still - pretty consistently been 8th-12th this season. Which is what he has been asked to do.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
We Need to shoot .. End of ! If we continue to try and walk the ball in at every opportunity instead of chancing a shot that gets deflected etc , then will always struggle to score and win . Yesterday we had 3 or 4 opportunities for this . Villa get one in the first half that they take .
Its not rocket science .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One home win in five months. With two weeks until our next home games againt liverpool and Spurs, there's a very good chance it will become one home win in 6 months (And that being a sparsely attended 8pm boxing day televised kick off). From the same manager who managed one home win in the 12 calendar months of 2020.

Yup.

Nah. What we need to do is replace all the seats at the amex with red ones, and to be more welcoming to away teams and supporters, remove all the Albion branding and replace it with our opponent's logos etc. Then everyone in the east and west stands need to wear either neutral clothing or away team colours. Then, the team need to get a coach with dark tinted windows and be taken on a two hour drive around sussex and the surrounding areas on their way to the amex. So we can trick Graham and the boys into thinking they're playing away.

Genuinely overheard this from Villa fans on the train in. After a little moan about how far the ground is from the town centre (about the same as Aston from New St :wink: ) they went on to say "I like it though. It's a NICE ground" (my emphasis). Genuinely, our reasonableness loses some home advantage. Away fans like coming and keep (Burnley aside) packing out the away end, the media like it and keep moving our kick offs and we're all together so very, very nice. No one would ever say that about Selhurst or Anfield. Even Spurs found a way to keep a modern ground with great sight lines intimidating by building a HUGE Kop, sticking their hospitality, virtually unsegregated, on top of the away fans and keeping the footprint in one of the biggest shitholes in the whole of England. Us? We've got a duckpond and your local beer.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Firstly, let's deal with that "Cucurella in a back three" one final time, because he wasn't. Here is the side by side positioning.

View attachment 145543

Cucurella's average position is wider than Cash who is playing right back. It's an authentic left back position and therefore not part of a conventional back three, which to me means three centre backs. Veltman is also too wide but more in line with Mings than Digne. March, meanwhile, is playing "number 10" and is nowhere near where the BBC graphic, that I suspect you've both checked, has him playing.

In fact [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] has already pointed out the flaw in our tactics and how Gerrard easily overcame them. Villa are much more compact. They've mostly ceded width (though if you look, Digne is pushed up on Lamptey, cutting his ability to use his pace) knowing we can't convert crosses from open play very often, and have pace and skill centrally to expose the huge gap between Dunk and Veltman.

The reason that we're even having this debate is because Veltman is terrible at playing in a conventional centre back pairing and his average position is where he should be in a back three / five, where he's better.

The more you look at those two diagrams, the more you see that Stevie G has done a very basic number on us. The same one that almost every visiting manager has, sit compact and hit on the break. With good finishers and more pace in his side he's done it remarkably effectively.

The irony will be that when we play Liverpool at home this will look different and we probably have more of a chance. They have their own way of playing and there is potential for Lamptey to get behind their advancing full backs. This is why Potter is still lauded by so many - because as bad as his tactics are against average compact sides at home, they are great away and against teams who have a go.
Your posts in this thread have been absolutely bang on, top bombing!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But still - pretty consistently been 8th-12th this season. Which is what he has been asked to do.

I don't see that as a counter argument. Russell Slade was brought in to keep us up. He did what he was asked to do. Same can be said about so many of our managers. Some didn't. It's why Hyypia won't be near the top of the list. But doing what you've been asked to do doesn't push you up the list of best managers (when what you've been asked to do is a reasonable possibility with the tools at hand).

I'm not calling for him to go, or arguing that he's bad. I just struggle to feel as passionate about him as the travelling fans who see the more successful side of his work - the goals, the wins.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Firstly, let's deal with that "Cucurella in a back three" one final time, because he wasn't. Here is the side by side positioning.

View attachment 145543

Cucurella's average position is wider than Cash who is playing right back. It's an authentic left back position and therefore not part of a conventional back three, which to me means three centre backs. Veltman is also too wide but more in line with Mings than Digne. March, meanwhile, is playing "number 10" and is nowhere near where the BBC graphic, that I suspect you've both checked, has him playing.

In fact [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] has already pointed out the flaw in our tactics and how Gerrard easily overcame them. Villa are much more compact. They've mostly ceded width (though if you look, Digne is pushed up on Lamptey, cutting his ability to use his pace) knowing we can't convert crosses from open play very often, and have pace and skill centrally to expose the huge gap between Dunk and Veltman.

The reason that we're even having this debate is because Veltman is terrible at playing in a conventional centre back pairing and his average position is where he should be in a back three / five, where he's better.

The more you look at those two diagrams, the more you see that Stevie G has done a very basic number on us. The same one that almost every visiting manager has, sit compact and hit on the break. With good finishers and more pace in his side he's done it remarkably effectively.

The irony will be that when we play Liverpool at home this will look different and we probably have more of a chance. They have their own way of playing and there is potential for Lamptey to get behind their advancing full backs. This is why Potter is still lauded by so many - because as bad as his tactics are against average compact sides at home, they are great away and against teams who have a go.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Liverpool at home our opportunity for a result in the next 3 months, because quite deliberately TAA/Robertson (rewards > risks in 90% games) are pushed 30 metres upfield. Every team, even Norwich ffs target the wilderness behind TAA. Whereupon Potter will described as a genius …. for doing exactly the same as 18 other managers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Burn is still here March doesn’t play. This is my mine gripe.

Strange point to make. March was by some distance, our best performer yesterday :shrug:

He created two massive chances, which would have seen us take a positive result from the game, but were pissed away by MacAllister and Welbeck. The Welbeck one in particular was an outstanding bit of wing play, wasted by a horrible horrible miss.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Strange point to make. March was by some distance, our best performer yesterday :shrug:

He created two massive chances, which would have seen us take a positive result from the game, but were pissed away by MacAllister and Welbeck. The Welbeck one in particular was an outstanding bit of wing play, wasted by a horrible horrible miss.

I was responding to a post about Cucu playing LCB not criticising March.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I think we started a downward spiral after Boo-gate, and Potter's public rebuke of the home support following. He made it clear he values the away support more.

And the team continues to not perform at home.

And so the spiral of negativity continues.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Yup.

Genuinely overheard this from Villa fans on the train in. After a little moan about how far the ground is from the town centre (about the same as Aston from New St :wink: ) they went on to say "I like it though. It's a NICE ground" (my emphasis). Genuinely, our reasonableness loses some home advantage. Away fans like coming and keep (Burnley aside) packing out the away end, the media like it and keep moving our kick offs and we're all together so very, very nice. No one would ever say that about Selhurst or Anfield. Even Spurs found a way to keep a modern ground with great sight lines intimidating by building a HUGE Kop, sticking their hospitality, virtually unsegregated, on top of the away fans and keeping the footprint in one of the biggest shitholes in the whole of England. Us? We've got a duckpond and your local beer.
Do we still stay in a hotel the night before home matches ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here