Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] P$$s Poor Again at home! No PASSION!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think we started a downward spiral after Boo-gate, and Potter's public rebuke of the home support following. He made it clear he values the away support more.

And the team continues to not perform at home.

And so the spiral of negativity continues.

10 goals in 13 home games and no win since Sept, not great

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yup.

Genuinely overheard this from Villa fans on the train in. After a little moan about how far the ground is from the town centre (about the same as Aston from New St :wink: ) they went on to say "I like it though. It's a NICE ground" (my emphasis). Genuinely, our reasonableness loses some home advantage. Away fans like coming and keep (Burnley aside) packing out the away end, the media like it and keep moving our kick offs and we're all together so very, very nice. No one would ever say that about Selhurst or Anfield. Even Spurs found a way to keep a modern ground with great sight lines intimidating by building a HUGE Kop, sticking their hospitality, virtually unsegregated, on top of the away fans and keeping the footprint in one of the biggest shitholes in the whole of England. Us? We've got a duckpond and your local beer.

Bit ungrateful, that. It took us ten years to get that! Dick Knight is out, Tony Bloom out too? ???

Look, I've been watching the Albion since 1969. Brighton was never, and isn't a 'footballing' town. Just because we had little squits like PPF having it large for five minutes in the 80s doesn't mean we have traditions. The like of him flounced off when we built a comfy stadium, making only occasional appearance when other middle aged men with red faces are likely to be abroad.

When I grew up my next door neighbour had a Brighton season ticket in the West Stand (only place you could get one at one point). He had a car sticker that said "Don't follow me, follow the Albion". That's our tone.

And now we are punching above our weight. Some times we can look, sadly, at Liverpool and think, "It would be great to be like them". But we ain't. We are different. I like to think better in some respects ??? More civil.

As for Palace, Sellhurst intimidating? Spotty teengers and those old enough to know better, dressed in black? Do me a favour. Carefully positioned TV microphones could make my bath night sound like the second coming of Spartacus :shrug:

So....how would you change everything? With unlimited amounts of Saudi money and massive bungs to all and sundry we could relocate round the back of Brighton Station and build a gothic cathedral of hate, and let PPF in with his youngers for a fiver a piece (a bit like at Wet Sham) to bring the atmos. But back in the real world.....

I fear that if (when) we lose six in a row the Samaritans are going to be inundated with people on speed dial. :facepalm:

:wink:

I agree that not building an intimidating North Stand, was a mistake, by the way. I wonder what the thinking was? It may have something to do with the fact that everything was planned around Dick Tight's budgets. If you recall we were going to start with a 15,000 capacity till (I suspect) Tony Bloon whispered that he'd make it a bit bigger, nudge nudge, say no more. And after ten years playing in front of 5000-8000, who knew if we could even put 15000 bums on seats?

But it is what it is. Innit.

I'm proud of my club (and I don't normally do pride). I can't think of how to 'change everything', or even anything, frankly. And don't want to. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think we started a downward spiral after Boo-gate, and Potter's public rebuke of the home support following. He made it clear he values the away support more.

And the team continues to not perform at home.

And so the spiral of negativity continues.

Do you think that when the loyal and noisy away fans attend at the Amex they sulk or even boo? Or is it a special brand of entitled home supporters who continue to fume at Potter's criticism?

Blaming Potter for an outburst that most of us (apart from the congenital Potter-outers) have forgotten for the downward spiral deserves some nine inch nails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txRYlZhziwc

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bit ungrateful, that. It took us ten years to get that! Dick Knight is out, Tony Bloom out too? ???

Look, I've been watching the Albion since 1969. Brighton was never, and isn't a 'footballing' town. Just because we had little squits like PPF having it large for five minutes in the 80s doesn't mean we have traditions. The like of him flounced off when we built a comfy stadium, making only occasional appearance when other middle aged men with red faces are likely to be abroad.

When I grew up my next door neighbour had a Brighton season ticket in the West Stand (only place you could get one at one point). He had a car sticker that said "Don't follow me, follow the Albion". That's our tone.

And now we are punching above our weight. Some times we can look, sadly, at Liverpool and think, "It would be great to be like them". But we ain't. We are different. I like to think better in some respects ??? More civil.

As for Palace, Sellhurst intimidating? Spotty teengers and those old enough to know better, dressed in black? Do me a favour. Carefully positioned TV microphones could make my bath night sound like the second coming of Spartacus :shrug:

So....how would you change everything? With unlimited amounts of Saudi money and massive bungs to all and sundry we could relocate round the back of Brighton Station and build a gothic cathedral of hate, and let PPF in with his youngers for a fiver a piece (a bit like at Wet Sham) to bring the atmos. But back in the real world.....

I fear that if (when) we lose six in a row the Samaritans are going to be inundated with people on speed dial. :facepalm:

I agree that not building an intimidating North Stand, was a mistake, by the way. I wonder what the thinking was? It may have something to do with the fact that everything was planned around Dick Tight's budgets. If you recall we were going to start with a 15,000 capacity till (I suspect) Tony Bloon whispered that he'd make it a bit bigger, nudge nudge, say no more. And after ten years playing in front of 5000-8000, who knew if we could even put 15000 bums on seats?

I'm proud of my club (and I don't normally do pride). I can't think of how to 'change everything', or even anything, frankly. And don't want to. :shrug:

At no point did I blame Tony Bloom. I pointed out that other clubs in this division don't lay out the red carpet for their visitors.

The reasons for the ground being where it is are numerous and well documented. The reasons for it being HOW it is? Well Martin Perry sat across both regimes.

I'm slightly surprised that you mention "Brighton" isn't a footballing town. Portslade, Hangleton and Knoll, Whitehawk, Moulsecoomb, Hollingbury, Bevendean and Woodingdean are, as are large parts of Lancing, Hastings, Burgess Hill, Littlehampton et al.

We were always the County team and the miserable buggers in the West Stand at the Goldstone were always the outliers. The idea that we were somehow followed by a gang of St Pauli style alternatives or those who made Brighton look like it was helping the police with their enquiries is - well - ludicrous.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The only good thing about today was the result wasn't as bad as last week

We look a shadow of what we were just a few weeks ago, hopefully a blip.

Second half so much possession but zero end product, 80th min get one feeble shot from Neal on target. Poor...

Tho good to hear the gallows humour kicking in in the North:

(altogether now, to the tune of 'f**king useless')

'Shot on target do do dodo' :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At no point did I blame Tony Bloom. I pointed out that other clubs in this division don't lay out the red carpet for their visitors.

The reasons for the ground being where it is are numerous and well documented. The reasons for it being HOW it is? Well Martin Perry sat across both regimes.

I'm slightly surprised that you mention "Brighton" isn't a footballing town. Portslade, Hangleton and Knoll, Whitehawk, Moulsecoomb, Hollingbury, Bevendean and Woodingdean are, as are large parts of Lancing, Hastings, Burgess Hill, Littlehampton et al.

We were always the County team and the miserable buggers in the West Stand at the Goldstone were always the outliers. The idea that we were somehow followed by a gang of St Pauli style alternatives or those who made Brighton look like it was helping the police with their enquiries is - well - ludicrous.

Quite

Luckily the thought has never crossed my mind.

But if you think the Portslade massive have always been the equivalent of the Anfield Kop you're possibly....mistaken.

Yes, all those towns are footballing towns. Portslade, etc. Until very recently, Arsenal, Chelsea and, yes, Manchester United footballing towns. :shrug:

As mentioned passim, when I was at school everyone 'supported' a division 1 club, with our little team-themed school bags: Leeds, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. Some of us went up the Goldstone, but growing up with a third tier club....well. Little pot bellied centre forwards for Chester, Workington and Gillingham. Not exactly MOTD was it?

But you didn't answer my question. What should we be doing differently?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ever since Bloom took over at Union our signings have dropped considerably and the ones we do make benefit Union not BHA. No reason why the latest Pole we signed couldn’t play for us this season as he’s good enough to play for Poland or why Undav didn’t make the switch in January to try and score a few more goals to push us up the table if he’s been scouted as PL quality.

If Undav had joined us in Jan and USG blew the title....it would have been very bad. Our need to rocket up the table right here right now has to be balanced with the greater good.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

“….. when other middle aged men with red faces …. “

:lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But you didn't answer my question. What should we be doing differently?

The ship has sailed.

We should have developed the ground with a bigger, deeper North Stand and used the greater ticket numbers available behind the goal to discount the price of them. Away fans should be in a corner with a minimal gap on both sides to the home fans. Decent pies and nice booze in our end, small concourse, shit food and bad lager in theirs.

Bits and pieces of this happen all over. As I mentioned, Spurs have managed to design a new stadium with a Kop and safe standing, most clubs in the 92 have poorer facilities for away fans and teams than home ones. Southampton generate their home atmosphere via proximity to away fans and their away concourse is shocking for a modern ground.

The AITC campaigns in deprived local schools are massively commendable but are they backed with the offer of continuous cheap tickets or are we looking to offload those to DFL financiers from Haywards Heath? The latter will certainly provide you with immediate cash flow but are they "sticky"?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The ship has sailed.

We should have developed the ground with a bigger, deeper North Stand and used the greater ticket numbers available behind the goal to discount the price of them. Away fans should be in a corner with a minimal gap on both sides to the home fans. Decent pies and nice booze in our end, small concourse, shit food and bad lager in theirs.

Bits and pieces of this happen all over. As I mentioned, Spurs have managed to design a new stadium with a Kop and safe standing, most clubs in the 92 have poorer facilities for away fans and teams than home ones. Southampton generate their home atmosphere via proximity to away fans and their away concourse is shocking for a modern ground.

The AITC campaigns in deprived local schools are massively commendable but are they backed with the offer of continuous cheap tickets or are we looking to offload those to DFL financiers from Haywards Heath? The latter will certainly provide you with immediate cash flow but are they "sticky"?

Indeed it has. And so, also, has the opportunity for recrimination. It is what it is.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

If you look at the eventual stadium build, the end stands are essentially those revealed to the footballing world when 1,000 Albion fans rammed into Hove Town Hall in November 2001 (time flies).

Genuinely I met DK several times a year in those years, I think the concept was his. He was very confident and single-minded in his artistic/design abilities, from his profession.

Perry was more a construction guru and do-er.

Years later, KSS Architects followed that brief.

As a main stand kind of guy, I think DK overlooked the raucous side of generating an atmosphere.

Both DK and later TB had an obsession with giving visiting supporters literally everything home supporters have.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Indeed it has. And so, also, has the opportunity for recrimination. It is what it is.

Not entirely.

If we can build new lounges, Premier League Ready media facilities, add new seats so that everyone can now (in Covid) get closer to their fat neighbour, add a school shelf. move the Brasserie, lose an important car park and direct Palace fans round a made up one way system then we can do most of it, other than making the North Stand actually decent.

And we could certainly prioritise discounted tickets to deprived local schools over the DFLs but that would, admittedly, likely result in even greater losses that would need to be supported, in the short term (though, as I said, maybe not in the long term). We may do this but it doesn't seem like it

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The ship has sailed.

I notice ordering in the away teams local ale in didn’t last long under Paul Barber [emoji23]

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Do you think that when the loyal and noisy away fans attend at the Amex they sulk or even boo? Or is it a special brand of entitled home supporters who continue to fume at Potter's criticism?

Blaming Potter for an outburst that most of us (apart from the congenital Potter-outers) have forgotten for the downward spiral deserves some nine inch nails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txRYlZhziwc

Okay. So how often does Potter show his appreciation for the home support, vs the same for the away support? And how often does he shoot off down the tunnel on the final whistle at the Amex?

I like to clap the team off. But that is fast becoming a vanishing tradition.

My view is that Potter has made this home/away thing worse. Dumb. Especially when we can't get a result at home.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Blaming Potter for an outburst that most of us (apart from the congenital Potter-outers) have forgotten for the downward spiral deserves some nine inch nails

There was a pre-match interview on bbc radio before the Burnley match where Potter praised the away fans (which is fair), then referred to the home fans as "more varied" with a clear restraint in his voice. I don't think it's only the 'special brand of entitled home supporters" who still hold on to the aftermath of the Leeds game.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That, for the first time in PL history, away wins were more common than home wins in last season (with no crowds) indicates that the home fans is the decisive factor on whether you have a home advantage or not. Good home fans appears to create good home teams, rather than vice versa.

But I suppose that is a sensitive subject.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Okay. So how often does Potter show his appreciation for the home support, vs the same for the away support? And how often does he shoot off down the tunnel on the final whistle at the Amex?

I like to clap the team off. But that is fast becoming a vanishing tradition.

My view is that Potter has made this home/away thing worse. Dumb. Especially when we can't get a result at home.

I'm in West Upper and I leave before the end. Watching Potter's full time antics is not remotely of my concern.

However, since there is clearly a tide here....

PotterOUT!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here