Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] P$$s Poor Again at home! No PASSION!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I wish the Albion first team did.

images.jpeg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Calling [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION].

I respect your overview on such Albion topics. What do you make of our lack of Albion home wins over the 5 seasons, particularly in Potter’s (no BCD) games?

Short term we are on the receiving end of criminally failing to replace Burn with either a new CB, recalling a CB or promoting one of our huge stock of development CBs. We don't have an option to play 3/5 at the back and both Lamptey and Cucurella are too deep. Veltman is good in a three or as a right back but is never a CB in a 2 CBs in a back four set up. He had Watkins read a few times today but ultimately made the mistake that lost the game.

With Cucu and Lamps pushed back we have no attacking pace. Then the opposition just needs to cut off Maupay and job done.

Long term we have an even bigger issue. The stats don't lie.

Hughton had 38 home PL games winning 13 (win ratio 34%) and scoring 43 at 1.13 goals per game. Potter's had 51, won 12 and scored 52 for a home win percentage of 23% and goals of 1.01 per game.

We win less and score fewer at home under Potter with a better side. That's a trend with over two years of data per coach. I go to football to jump up and celebrate a goal and I go much more to home games (though I do go away) as do most. The risk is this current pile of centre back induced crap is happening just as people are being asked to renew, with a backdrop of never having been that good at home under GP.

Yes we are still 10th. Yes Potter is better away. Yes Potter has a go against the bigger teams. But goals and wins at home are what keeps the majority of fans happy, not nice little 10 yard passes. We have no pace, no finishing and lots of meaningless possession and eventually this will catch up with us.

We have been unlucky with injury and Covid though. We very rarely seem to use the same players two games running.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I was more disappointed by the lack of noise in the North stand & lack of support for Ukraine 🇺🇦

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Two and a half very poor performances. Shit happens :shrug:

Some of the ludicrous bed wetting nonsense on NSC tonight is laughable, however. Player X, recently rated a £50 million by some should suddenly never be allowed to play for the club again? OK, mate ???

I don't know how to turn things around because I'm not the manager. If we go on a ten run losing streak (quite possible) I expect Potter to go. But I really don't think this is likey. I'd rate it 15%, about the same chance as heavy snow in Faversham during the next two weeks.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I was more disappointed by the lack of noise in the North stand & lack of support for Ukraine 🇺🇦
NW corner of north a banner "no war" went up before ko and plenty on w@nker signs direct that way from.others near by

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Potter didn't hang around after the final whistle. Normally he walks around win, lose or draw applauding the fans. Maybe wanted to throw the tea Urn Mullery style when they walked into the dressing room

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Short term we are on the receiving end of criminally failing to replace Burn with either a new CB, recalling a CB or promoting one of our huge stock of development CBs. We don't have an option to play 3/5 at the back and both Lamptey and Cucurella are too deep. Veltman is good in a three or as a right back but is never a CB in a 2 CBs in a back four set up. He had Watkins read a few times today but ultimately made the mistake that lost the game.

With Cucu and Lamps pushed back we have no attacking pace. Then the opposition just needs to cut off Maupay and job done.

Long term we have an even bigger issue. The stats don't lie.

Hughton had 38 home PL games winning 13 (win ratio 34%) and scoring 43 at 1.13 goals per game. Potter's had 51, won 12 and scored 52 for a home win percentage of 23% and goals of 1.01 per game.

We win less and score fewer at home under Potter with a better side. That's a trend with over two years of data per coach. I go to football to jump up and celebrate a goal and I go much more to home games (though I do go away) as do most. The risk is this current pile of centre back induced crap is happening just as people are being asked to renew, with a backdrop of never having been that good at home under GP.

Yes we are still 10th. Yes Potter is better away. Yes Potter has a go against the bigger teams. But goals and wins at home are what keeps the majority of fans happy, not nice little 10 yard passes. We have no pace, no finishing and lots of meaningless possession and eventually this will catch up with us.

We have been unlucky with injury and Covid though. We very rarely seem to use the same players two games running.

Thank you, I couldn’t agree more on literally everything.

Regarding Potter’s 23% in 51 games, I’d be interested to know the home win percentage for the first 50 EPL games of every other EPL manager.

Home football (goals and wins) means so much to punters, it always has done, it’s why 750,000 attend stadia each match-week.

Kids go home excited, everyone else goes home with that warm glow.

No guarantees of course, but 23% is gut wrenching.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
But i agree with lack of support. I try, but instead of roaring team on it was moaning and groaning. I do my fair share groaning BUT not whilst match is on. I support the team.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The only good thing about today was the result wasn't as bad as last week

We look a shadow of what we were just a few weeks ago, hopefully a blip.

Second half so much possession but zero end product, 80th min get one feeble shot from Neal on target. Poor...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Potter didn't hang around after the final whistle. Normally he walks around win, lose or draw applauding the fans. Maybe wanted to throw the tea Urn Mullery style when they walked into the dressing room

Potter doesn't throw tea urns or anything else.

Over a long term season the "not too high or low" is probably quite useful but in odd games he and the team look really devoid of passion.

You can have a bit of a sort out without having to be Mike Bassett. Look at some of Pep's, er, pep talks on the Man City All or Nothing, Graham looks like he's going to give them an Alan Bennett style withering look.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think there is passion in some players. Dunk and Maupay for example.

It’s more Potter’s style, if you look at Dyche or Gerrard, they were both roll your sleeves up players who were highly committed on the pitch - and this rubs off on their teams.

I think it’s the way Potter has us playing. Home crowds want to see determination and desire - I just don’t see Potter as the type of manger who can provide that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Nobody can deny our home form has been poor, possibly nearing awful. I worry about Potter on this. There’s plenty of things he gets right but it’s a serious worry that he seems to set the team up the same home and away. That would be fine if we got a similar outcome but our performances and results are like night and day. Obviously Potter and the staff are aware of this- it’s very clear, so what’s being done? Where are the risks at home? Why do we never go gung ho? Why do we never play three up front? Why do we never just stick to playing direct football? Why do we never make multiple early subs? We do all those things away. All the time. So what is going on?

I’m not surprised supporters turning up, are booing and are leaving early. Compared to away supporters they’ve had pretty much nothing to celebrate for ages.
I’d hate to be a season ticket holder who doesn’t go away.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Would also like to say that we look totally unbalanced playing 4 at the back. We need to return to the 5 which then gives Lamptey and Cucurella the chance to bomb forward rather than hang back

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Would also like to say that we look totally unbalanced playing 4 at the back. We need to return to the 5 which then gives Lamptey and Cucurella the chance to bomb forward rather than hang back

What game were you watching. We did have 5 at the back.

D

Deleted member 2719

Are home form was much better during covid and having no fans ….. oh hang on

We had no gaspers and moaners?

I just want to know are the fans that pay to watch live going to back our boys and not attack our boys?

Stick together in tougher times, don't you.

Remember the tough times?

We are nowhere near those days.

Bedwetters wanting failure, tend to piss me off.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What game were you watching. We did have 5 at the back.

No. No we didn't

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...Premier-League-2021-2022-Brighton-Aston-Villa

positions.JPG

Two centre backs. Lamptey pushed up a little more than I remembered, but he should do with his pace. Had very little ahead of him though and Cucurella deeper (too deep).

Back four with one higher pushed full back and one sitting back (and, to boot, the wide players isolated so that we were good at getting it wide but not much else).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We had no gaspers and moaners?

I just want to know are the fans that pay to watch live going to back our boys and not attack our boys?

Stick together in tougher times, don't you.

Remember the tough times?

We are nowhere near those days.

Bedwetters wanting failure, tend to piss me off.

No one is really getting on the players backs but 180 minutes of home football never looking like we'd score is hardly going to set the atmosphere up to max.

We have a reactive crowd at Brighton (most teams do) and there's literally nothing for us to react to at the moment.

We've been mostly hopeless at home under Potter with and without crowds.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No. No we didn't

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...Premier-League-2021-2022-Brighton-Aston-Villa

View attachment 145526

Two centre backs. Lamptey pushed up a little more than I remembered, but he should do with his pace. Had very little ahead of him though and Cucurella deeper (too deep).

Back four with one higher pushed full back and one sitting back (and, to boot, the wide players isolated so that we were good at getting it wide but not much else).

This looks far more secure to me, three defenders on average closer together. Ramsey and McGinn shielding.

We always look vulnerable to the counter, to one stray pass gifting the opposition a goal.

It’s not as if high-stake ‘rock n roll’ football that’s reaping a stack of goals at the other end.
46A156A0-9801-407C-A96A-BBAF99A916C9.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here