Owners rename Hull City AFC

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The Brighton Seagulls will be the new name officially adopted by the club in the Championship

Owner Tony Bloom has confirmed their intention to re-brand Brighton & Hove Albion by dropping the '& Hove Albion' and putting the emphasis on 'Seagulls'.

They said one of the reasons for the change is to give the club a stronger "brand identity" on the international stage.

"The '& Hove Albion' part is irrelivant," he said.

"My dislike for the word 'Albion' is because it is common.

"Albion is also associated with West Brom, Albion Rovers and many other clubs. Also, "Hove" is stupid. Nobody knows where Hove is. And I don't like ampersands either.

"In the commercial world, the shorter the name, the better. The more it can spread quickly.

"It is about identity. The Albion is a lousy identity. Brighton & Hove Albion is so long."

"I'm also thinking of changing the white parts of our kit to red. Because I fancy a change."

IMAGINE what would happen to NSC if this was in The Argus. People would lose their minds!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I appreciate the difference, but can I ask why it is dreaded? What substantial difference do you see from this change? Hull are already usually referred to as either Hull, Hull City or The Tigers. I suspect they will continue to be referred to as Hull, Hull City or The Tigers.

Is it really that big a deal?

Yes. It's pointless re-branding making them a laughing stock and it won't make a bit of difference on the pitch. The Crystal Eagles, sounds shit doesn't it.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Yes. It's pointless re-branding making them a laughing stock and it won't make a bit of difference on the pitch. The Crystal Eagles, sounds shit doesn't it.

Given that they're a club that sings that god-awful "you're getting mauled by the Tigers" song (complete with hand actions) I don't think that they should be worried about this making them a laughing stock.

The Crystal Eagles would be bizarre, since it splits Crystal Palace, but I've seen us referred to in the press as the Crystal Palace Eagles before. It's unusual, since we are normally referred to a Crystal Palace or the Eagles, but I've seen it.

I'm just not convinced that this will change much of substance for Hull, or that it is that big a deal. Agree with those who mention that it is the lack of fan involvement that's the issue though. If the Hull fans aren't happy with it (and I've not looked) then they should stand up to it. But as a Palace fan I'll stick to mocking them for their god-awful songs.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton & Hove SEAGULLS imminent then!

Nooooooooooo..................................!!!

American Matchday Experience.......

Thurs pm - Check Seagulls Calendar
Friday am - Book Seagulls Direct Coach £10
Friday PM - Change into Seagulls Pyjamas and go to bed
Sat Morning - Kellogs Crispy Cornflakes in Seagulls bowl and tea in Seagulls mug
Sat 11.45 - Change in to Seagulls Replica top and get Seagulls coat from cupboard
Sat 12.30 - Board seagulls bus with £800 season ticket in hand
Sat 1.15 - arrive at amex for matchday experience go into club shop buy programme £5.00
Sat 1.30 - Swipe card through entrance and buy Seagulls hot dog & Low alcohol Budweiser £9.00
Sat 1.55 - Buy another Low alcohol Budweiser £5.50
Sat 2.15 - In seat now watching LED screens for adverts tempting me to buy electricity, lager, cars, phones and more seagulls stuff especially on line .
Sat 3.05 - Watch 45 mins of football interrupted by more advertising
Sat 3.52 - Buy seagulls crisps and chocolate highlighted by even more adverts some in sound now.
Sat 5.55 - Leave ground to the sound of more adverts grabbing Seagulls hamburger on way out to eat whilst waiting for Seagulls transport to my drop off
Sat 11pm - Access my seagulls TV or internet account £15 per month so I can watch goals and highlights and find out how I can highlight next weeks matchday experience with a clapper

PS we did win 1-0

And then I rolled over, opened my eyes, and said to Mrs Barber 'I've just had the most wonderful dream' :lolol:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Given that they're a club that sings that god-awful "you're getting mauled by the Tigers" song (complete with hand actions) I don't think that they should be worried about this making them a laughing stock.

The Crystal Eagles would be bizarre, since it splits Crystal Palace, but I've seen us referred to in the press as the Crystal Palace Eagles before. It's unusual, since we are normally referred to a Crystal Palace or the Eagles, but I've seen it.

I'm just not convinced that this will change much of substance for Hull, or that it is that big a deal. Agree with those who mention that it is the lack of fan involvement that's the issue though. If the Hull fans aren't happy with it (and I've not looked) then they should stand up to it. But as a Palace fan I'll stick to mocking them for their god-awful songs.

Replacing AFC with Tigers is a little bizarre too. Anyway, our opinions are split so I'll leave it there.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I see Psalms point, in that I don't think there's that clear a distinction between name changes and other changes (shirts, nicknames, badges etc) - but i reckon it's just a matter of where you personally choose to draw the line as being an 'acceptable' change, and one that is 'selling your soul'.

For my money - 'Tigers' is beyond laughable (but I suspect that most HC fans would completely agree with that as well) so I have no problems at all looking down my nose at Hull. The club that is, not the fans.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

The problem is it is not your choice it is one for the Hull fans and initial indications re they are not happy this has been forced on them, if they were all happy with the change you would have a point as it would have fan and club agreement.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It will be interesting to see if other clubs follow suit. For me, it all seems a bit "Milton Keynes Dons".

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
And now we head over to the 2 Bit Stadium to watch the Crystal Meths take on the Manchester Patriots.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You seem to be a little confused about the leap from nickname to clubname. All 92 clubs have nicknames and some have, historically, changed from time to time. Clubs have even changed their names in the distant past, but no team has gone the dreaded step to add the nickname to the clubs official name, until today.

One has. MK Dons. Which re-enforces the point you are making that no self respecting club has gone down that road. Yet.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm not overlooking it, I'm just saying its not that different. Why is the end of the club name particularly more sacred than the badge say, or the shirt? Hull City will still be Hull City. We've both made commercial decisions that have changed our clubs, so I don't see that we're in any position to mock Hull for doing the same.

The press already routinely refer to clubs either through the start of their names (ignoring the FC OR AFC) or their nicknames, so it won't even sound much different. The only time you'll notice it will be when the abbreviation is used. Presumably HCTFC rather than HCAFC.

Laugh away at Hull all you want, I just think its a bit hypocritical is all.

Look, if you are gonna come on here and post sensible, well thought out arguments you can bloody well google off back to the BBS, got it?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
1002338_10151763694329914_1744127832_n.jpg

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Blimey Psalm you're right. Not seen this before. Awful!

[yt]tgS1RFk1cU8[/yt]

:facepalm:What a load of bollocks, I can't believe they are all willing to make themselves look like a such bunch of fannies. They deserve the shitty name change just for that. Have some self respect you ****wits even the Always Ultras aren't THAT tinpot!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports