Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owners rename Hull City AFC

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
How long will it be before a club owner in the ever increasing chase for money, sells off a clubs naming rights. American Express City ?. Far fetched, maybe not.They used to stand on the terraces of Llansantffraid & sing, were the famous Total Network Solutions & gonna win the league.

New York Red Bulls

It's not a misuse of the word, since I've explained that I see focusing on the Tigers as a commercial change, and both of our clubs have made changes to our clubs in the past for commercial reasons. I have never claimed the changes were identical, merely comparable. Therefore for us, supporters of clubs who have made changes for commercial reasons, to criticise another club for making a similar if different change is in my opinion hypocritical.

How you're free of course to argue that it isn't, but arguing that the term is wrongly used just makes you look like an idiot. All the more so since you've decided to bring intelligence into the equation. An arrogant move at the best of times, but very ill-advised if you're going to do so before saying something stupid.

Good grief.

:facepalm:

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Blimey, I make a point, and you completely overlook it - neither Brighton nor Palace have changed their names. Sod it, I've said it in plain English already, I can't make it plainer. This isn't a commercial decision, it's an egotistical one, based on a whim disguised as a commercial decision, benefitting... well, who knows?

Very well, if we follow your logic - 'Crystal Palace is irrelevant and lousy'. The club needs a strong identity for the Premier League, one which reflects the culture of the area.

Therefore, good luck in the Premier League this coming season, Crystal Palace Arsonists.

I agree with you that we haven't changed our names. I'm not overlooking that point, but I'm asking why that is substantially different to the changes we have made. Our badges for example, surely as much a part of the history of our clubs, as well as our nicknames. Why is HCAFC becoming HCTFC any more of a significant change than us going from playing in claret and blue to red and blue, or you going from dolphins to seagulls, and changing your club crest to include a seagull? I don't see how it's significantly different. It's just a change, and if we're being honest in many ways less of one for Hull (who already are the Tigers) than our changes were for us.

I just don't know that it's reason to mock, and even if it were that we have much of a leg to stand on

dolphins1.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree with you that we haven't changed our names. I'm not overlooking that point, but I'm asking why that is substantially different to the changes we have made. Our badges for example, surely as much a part of the history of our clubs, as well as our nicknames. Why is HCAFC becoming HCTFC any more of a significant change than us going from playing in claret and blue to red and blue, or you going from dolphins to seagulls, and changing your club crest to include a seagull? I don't see how it's significantly different. It's just a change, and if we're being honest in many ways less of one for Hull (who already are the Tigers) than our changes were for us.

I just don't know that it's reason to mock, and even if it were that we have much of a leg to stand on

View attachment 45909

I honestly believe you are the most stupid palace poster I've seen on here, and in a field of high competition that's saying something. The general consensus is totally against your opinion and I don't think it has anything to do with your affiliation. You do keep intentionally missing the point. And no-one seems to be mocking Hull, posters have expressed disbelief and opposition too the Hull chairman's decision.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

View attachment 45909

The answer has already been explained - and you're still not seeing it.

The Brighton nickname was instigated by the fans - not the manager nor the club. I would also query why your whole 'claret-and-blue' to 'red-and-blue' came about; I believe that was also on the whim of Malcolm Allison for reasons he may have taken to the grave.

The Albion's decision to change the badge was a reflection of the fans' new nickname - not the cause of it (as it was in your case). Incidentally, that Dolphin crest has never appeared on a club shirt.

So upon reflection, if there's mocking to be had, it's only being done by us, because it was your club - not your fans - who changed the nickname and the club colours.

Banned
May 19, 2013
I honestly believe you are the most stupid palace poster I've seen on here, and in a field of high competition that's saying something. The general consensus is totally against your opinion and I don't think it has anything to do with your affiliation. You do keep intentionally missing the point. And no-one seems to be mocking Hull, posters have expressed disbelief and opposition too the Hull chairman's decision.

The general consensus eh? I best shut up then. No place on a message board for a view which challenges the general consensus. Because if there's one thing I've learnt from looking at NSC, it's that the general consensus has never yet turned out to be wrong.

Truly it must be difficult for a man of your dizzying intellect to engage with mere mortals such as myself. I can only apologise for not being able to engage at your level.

This reminds me of when I slapped my daughters legs for running out in a road to an ice cream van causing a car to skid and crash into another car.

After much tears I tried to explain to her why I was so angry with her and why I slapped her legs and asked her if she understood why, she replied "Yes daddy, because I like Ice Cream"

:ffsparr:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This reminds me of when I slapped my daughters legs for running out in a road to an ice cream van causing a car to skid and crash into another car.

After much tears I tried to explain to her why I was so angry with her and why I slapped her legs and asked her if she understood why, she replied "Yes daddy, because I like Ice Cream"

:ffsparr:

You slapped your daughter on the leg? Are you ready for the consequences of saying that on NSC? :lolol:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

View attachment 45909

You seem to be a little confused about the leap from nickname to clubname. All 92 clubs have nicknames and some have, historically, changed from time to time. Clubs have even changed their names in the distant past, but no team has gone the dreaded step to add the nickname to the clubs official name, until today.

Banned
May 19, 2013
The answer has already been explained - and you're still not seeing it.

The Brighton nickname was instigated by the fans - not the manager nor the club. I would also query why your whole 'claret-and-blue' to 'red-and-blue' came about; I believe that was also on the whim of Malcolm Allison for reasons he may have taken to the grave.

The Albion's decision to change the badge was a reflection of the fans' new nickname - not the cause of it (as it was in your case). Incidentally, that Dolphin crest has never appeared on a club shirt.

So upon reflection, if there's mocking to be had, it's only being done by us, because it was your club - not your fans - who changed the nickname and the club colours.
Ah I see. So once again, everything Brighton have ever done is perfect and rational, but other clubs have erred again and again.

Silly me, I should have known. It's always the answer on NSC :)

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The general consensus eh? I best shut up then. No place on a message board for a view which challenges the general consensus. Because if there's one thing I've learnt from looking at NSC, it's that the general consensus has never yet turned out to be wrong.

I am going to go away from the general consensus of just calling you thick due to the fact you are a Palace fan.

I can see your point - in essence both Palace and brighton have made changes to their crest/image in an effort to improve the corporate image. Even though Brighton changed to Seagulls due to the fans, there were probably some fans that were against it at the time. Also, by changing to suit the fans it shows Brighton were aware of the corporate image and wanted to keep the fans (customers) happy and keep them spending their money through the gates.

I think the difference is that with Hull, they are changing from HCAFC to HCTFC whereas both our clubs stayed as CPFC and BHAFC.

It all depends on your definition of the clubs identity. Some would say that by changing from Hull City AFC to Hull City Tigers is actually taking a note of their identity by including their nickname. In my opinion if this had been bought around by a vote by the fans then there would be no issue, its the fact that the owner has decided this for them that is the major problem.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I hope the Hull fans boycott and protest...because this is the thin end of
the wedge I fear.

Banned
May 19, 2013
You seem to be a little confused about the leap from nickname to clubname. All 92 clubs have nicknames and some have, historically, changed from time to time. Clubs have even changed their names in the distant past, but no team has gone the dreaded step to add the nickname to the clubs official name, until today.

I appreciate the difference, but can I ask why it is dreaded? What substantial difference do you see from this change? Hull are already usually referred to as either Hull, Hull City or The Tigers. I suspect they will continue to be referred to as Hull, Hull City or The Tigers.

Is it really that big a deal?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think that's pretty harsh.

I see the point Psalm is making. After all look at the URL for the club. Surely the fans should sue the club for IP infringement given that the nickname was created by us.

I also understand the broader point - this could open the floodgates. Cardiff shifting to red; Hull City becoming HCT - next you'll see a club like Wimbledon move to Milton Keynes and get away with it.

As with all walks of life, we'll all just whine about it on social media and then do sod all about it (with rare exceptions.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here