Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen Garvan (merged)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Used to be good but if can't get in their midfield how will he into ours? Not seen him play in over a year though and then mainly on the telebox and through an Ipswich fan ex flatmate

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
All we need are players that can do it Gus' way.

We don't need the best players, just the best team.

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
This has bloom written all over it.... Let's really f@ck palace up. Bid on all their players and unsettle them!!! Genius

I knew there would be some kind of revenge lined up !

Revenge? Lol. If we sell him to you for a profit on what we paid for him (250k) then it'll be the 2nd time this pre-season we've f***ed you over, he was awful for us last year! He's a decent passer with a sweet left foot but aside from that he offer's nothing, slow, can't tackle, can't head, gets dominated far to easily by more athletic players. Oh, and he runs like a girl! One of the Burley signings that got us into the position we were in, your welcome to him.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Used to be good but if can't get in their midfield how will he into ours? Not seen him play in over a year though and then mainly on the telebox and through an Ipswich fan ex flatmate
In fairness, they do have Danns & Ambrose - two of the best CMs in the league. (Hopefully not the case by the end of the window)

Has plenty of Championship experience, still young enough for Gus to mould him into a player that suits our system. Could be a decent signing if there's any truth in the article.

marshman

Jun 23, 2011
Garvan

I have the dubious pleasure of working with 5 palarse season ticket holders. Mixed reaction to the transfer. One comment usless twat take the money and run... Others saying cultured left foot and would work well in Gus Poyets sytle of football. They all say he cant tackle and was rubbish for them in their relegation scrap....

Eastbourne

Jun 4, 2011
Some more promising quotes

"Dougie has said he's looking to play a more attractive style of football this season which would suit Garvan, therefore I cannot see us selling him, especailly for as little as £250k. Some Palace fans seem to have written him off already which I think is a bit unfair. We played some very rigid, defensive football last year (i'm not compaining - needs must and all that,) but it was a system that really didn't suit his style of play. I think he's definately got talent and in the right system could become a very good player for us."

"Freedman made it clear he rates Garvan, just not in the style of play we were forced to use last season. He has also said he wants to change that style of play. I would think this implies he sees a role for Garvan next season. It would be hard to see what could have changed his mind as the players have all been away, but we'll have to see."

Although some are still saying "take the money and run a mile"

From the sounds of the first two it doesn't sound like they'll let him go, and id imagine they'd be especially loath to sell him to us.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
bit rich considering your main man turned from a superstar to a possible bench warmer for you over night.
Don't get me wrong, Murray was a superstar last season but possibly wouldn't of been Gus' plans this season after the swap in divisions, I don't know tbh . Garvan has got lots of experience in the Championship so it's a little different.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Well they have got to pay Glenn & his agent his signing on fee and first months wages pretty soon. They won't see too much if any of the £250K fee after that!

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011

Er, maybe because our midfield is better than your's? You're star man has left and you're other decent midfielder, Bridcutt, was on trial with us in the summer but didn't make the grade. Ambrose, Danns, Zaha and Marrow would all walk into you're team. Get over yourselves, you pissed a very poor League One, The Championship is a massive step up.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He's too cultured a player to be in a Palace side. No wonder their fans can't see his abilities, they don't understand tippy tappy FLAIR like Brightonians do. Garvan has a wicked left foot, is great on the ball and delivers an awesome corner.

Snap him up.

Eastbourne

Jun 4, 2011
Just spoken to two Palace aquaintances:

"A promising young player with a very good left foot, but a terrible right one. He can shoot and pass better than everyone apart from Ambrose, but he's the slowest and worst tackling player we've got. He'll start some games for us next year when we look to pass the ball a bit more, and stop playing with two defensive mids"

"What he said, but he wont go to you. We bought him for £250k only last year, and we'd want much more than that to sell him. He's not actually that bad, but not quite good enough for us (yet). Hope he starts to show his potential, but not with you. Probably a decent signing for you if you got him, but I spoke to Dougie at fans forum a month or so ago and he said he'd be a vital player next year when we're not in a scrappy battle"

I asked how much we'd have to pay to get him, but no reply yet

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
This has bloom written all over it.... Let's really f@ck palace up. Bid on all their players and unsettle them!!! Genius

I knew there would be some kind of revenge lined up !

f*** it lets just buy danns that would piss them off big time:)

Tinycox

Jun 18, 2011
Portslade
Exclusive: Brighton bid for Palace midfielder
Thursday, 23 June 2011

By Richard Cawley
OWEN Garvan could be on his way out of Crystal Palace - after Brighton made a £250,000 bid for the Irish midfielder.
The South London Press understands that the Seagulls have tabled an offer for the 23-year-old, who moved to Selhurst Park for an undisclosed fee from Ipswich last summer.
Get tomorrow's South London Press for the full story.

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011
Strange one this.

An honest Palace perspective here.

Garvan, on his day can be a very tidy player. Good left foot with an excellent range of passing. He tends to go missing in games, and that would be his biggest weakness. There is no real defensive side to his game, and so needs support in the middle.

He scored a few screamers and put in one or two shifts. By and large I was disappointed with him as I believe that he has potential.

Not a player that you will want in a scrap (relegation or otherwise), however, in a confident team he could flourish.

Personally I wouldn't sell for less than £500k, because I believe that if we (Palace) can get off to a good start next season, he could have a much better season.

However, if the offer was £500k up front - I feel that money could be better invested than in Garvan.

I'll watch this one with interest.

Last edited:

Eastbourne

Jun 4, 2011
He's too cultured a player to be in a Palace side. No wonder their fans can't see his abilities, they don't understand tippy tappy FLAIR like Brightonians do. Garvan has a wicked left foot, is great on the ball and delivers an awesome corner.

Snap him up.

That's what I've been told, but apparently he's poor off the ball. They reckon we'll need a lot more than £250k to get him, and that they don't need to sell anyone. Apparently he's happy at the club despite not playing much.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
That's what I've been told, but apparently he's poor off the ball. They reckon we'll need a lot more than £250k to get him, and that they don't need to sell anyone. Apparently he's happy at the club despite not playing much.

Probably will take more as they've only had him a year and are short of players in the middle. Not bad for an initial bid though. He may be happy now but if he's offered first team football and Gus poyet at the Amex I think he'd want to come.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Er, maybe because our midfield is better than your's? You're star man has left and you're other decent midfielder, Bridcutt, was on trial with us in the summer but didn't make the grade. Ambrose, Danns, Zaha and Marrow would all walk into you're team. Get over yourselves, you pissed a very poor League One, The Championship is a massive step up.

Problem you're going to have is that Ambrose and Danns aren't going to be with you next season, without out them you will have an average (at best) midfield. You may well need him so I wouldn't be to smug if I were you!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here