Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Overseas holidays allowed from 6 July (without quarantining on return)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Or if you can't get travel insurance due to government advising against all but essential travel, at least try and get/renew a European Health Insurance Card. The EHIC is free, you apply online, it entitles you to free or discounted state-provided healthcare within the EU (plus a few other European countries). You can still apply during the EU withdrawal transition period. It's no substitute for travel insurance obviously, but may well be the next best thing.

Make sure you apply through the official site only, as there's a few cowboy agencies who will try and charge you for applying.

Full details on the NHS site:

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/he...r-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

*EDIT* Hmm... having said all that, 'the EHIC service is currently unavailable'. Not sure if that's tied in with the advice not to travel, or if the site's down for maintenance or what. Gah!

Just had another go at renewing my EHIC card. Maybe the site WAS just down for maintenance first time round, cos it let me go all the way through the renewal process quite happily. No reason to suppose it won't also work for new applications - you can put your partner and kids under 18 on the same online form. Here's that link again

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/he...r-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

And here's a bonus Martin Lewis link

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/free-ehic-card/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking at the Easyjet site, Gatwick flights to cities such as Amsterdam in August, just a few quid. Copenhagen also, but care’s required as some countries aren’t yet letting travellers in.

Berlin to Ibiza placeholders have been added as well! I love the island and the idea of going when there are **** all tourists is really appealing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
BA have cancelled all LGW flights up until 8th September.

Many have been moved to LHR and automatically rebooked but if you have something booked it is worth checking.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Many have been moved to LHR and automatically rebooked but if you have something booked it is worth checking.

This fits in with their earlier, mooted long term plans. Once much smaller, it makes sense that they only operate from T5 HQ.

EasyJet is the reliable Gatwick option.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We have the first two weeks of September booked off work, and nothing booked yet. Think I will wait until mid-August and see what the situation is like then, and if ok will book something late.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Was to fly mid-Aug, looks like its been ditched completely. At least now I can ask for refund, no intention of flying anywhere. I'll let others experiment...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was to fly mid-Aug, looks like its been ditched completely. At least now I can ask for refund, no intention of flying anywhere. I'll let others experiment...

Fair enough! I'm just happy to be going away. I did cost up EasyJet flights but there wasn't much in it and at least I have some confidence that BA will run this flight having moved it.

I hear also that LGW are being used to run these flights from LHR which is some consolation than the alternatives I guess..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
70% of brits not interested in foriegn holidays under the current cloud of covid 19 allegedly
Regards
DF

When families have spent a few hours on the beach with their neighbours “doing balloons” on one side and crapping into KFC boxes on the other, I’m sure they’ll have a rethink.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We have the first two weeks of September booked off work, and nothing booked yet. Think I will wait until mid-August and see what the situation is like then, and if ok will book something late.

The risk there is of course pricing - the LGW flights that have now moved to LHR have gone up considerably in price. I guess they are certain they will run these so want to maximise revenue. Just yesterday my flight was still about £120 - under the LHR route it is now £297

Depends on what Easyjet etc do though I guess

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well I'll be going somewhere safe in the UK for my summer holiday. The Leicestershire area looks nice, anybody been?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
We are flying out on August 30th with BA, luckily enough I chose LHR departures even though Gatwick is my main choice for the exact reason that I didn’t see BA staffing Gatwick for a few flights.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Interesting.

As an aside, I wonder if EasyJet will benefit from Covid? Obviously it’s a long term thing but they’re a great airline imho, strategically they now have U.K. and EU bases and are well positioned at Gatwick and also the new Berlin airport. And overall they seem very much on the front-foot at the moment.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Interesting.

As an aside, I wonder if EasyJet will benefit from Covid? Obviously it’s a long term thing but they’re a great airline imho, strategically they now have U.K. and EU bases and are well positioned at Gatwick and also the new Berlin airport. And overall they seem very much on the front-foot at the moment.

Dont know everything but I know about 1000 heads are going

Stands/Newcastle bases are gone

LGW is losing 1 plane from airport

Routes being cut

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here