Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Overseas holidays allowed from 6 July (without quarantining on return)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Check your travel insurance.

Or if you can't get travel insurance due to government advising against all but essential travel, at least try and get/renew a European Health Insurance Card. The EHIC is free, you apply online, it entitles you to free or discounted state-provided healthcare within the EU (plus a few other European countries). You can still apply during the EU withdrawal transition period. It's no substitute for travel insurance obviously, but may well be the next best thing.

Make sure you apply through the official site only, as there's a few cowboy agencies who will try and charge you for applying.

Full details on the NHS site:

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/he...r-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

*EDIT* Hmm... having said all that, 'the EHIC service is currently unavailable'. Not sure if that's tied in with the advice not to travel, or if the site's down for maintenance or what. Gah!

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The over 50's can travel with the peace of mind and knowledge that SAGA now offer emergency medical cover and repatriation if you fall ill with coronavirus while on your trip on all travel insurance policies, as just part of the broad range of cover offered. :thumbsup:

(Other travel insurance policies are available.)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Or if you can't get travel insurance due to government advising against all but essential travel, at least try and get/renew a European Health Insurance Card. The EHIC is free, you apply online, it entitles you to free or discounted state-provided healthcare within the EU (plus a few other European countries). You can still apply during the EU withdrawal transition period. It's no substitute for travel insurance obviously, but may well be the next best thing.

Make sure you apply through the official site only, as there's a few cowboy agencies who will try and charge you for applying.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/he...r-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

*EDIT* Hmm... having said all that, 'the EHIC service is currently unavailable'. Not sure if that's tied in with the advice not to travel, or if the site's down for maintenance or what. Gah!

It finishes on December 31st so probably not available to renew.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
More confusing mixed messages.

We can open pubs, restaurants, shops and then go on holiday,

but can’t

Send our kids to school, have a game of squash or badminton, go to a health club?

Stay alert. Don’t go to the beach as it isn’t earning the economy much money, but by all means get on a flight to Benidorm, get bladdered for 2 weeks meeting people from various nationalities, then return home. Meanwhile let’s lose our shit because people had a day at Bournemouth beach.

The government wants you to send your kids to school, badminton and health clubs are INDOORS I’ve seen people play badminton outdoors on the lawns and there is a PT down there with exercise bikes and free weights albeit OUTDOORS, I think the indoor but is the key[emoji106]

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The xenophobic 52% wont be going abroad anyway. To scared by the weird languages and food. WHAT IS WRONG WITH A CAMPER VAN IN THE RAIN!

I think there’s a lot wrong with camper vans in any weather ! That’s probably cos I think camping as a concept is ridiculous!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The government wants you to send your kids to school, badminton and health clubs are INDOORS I’ve seen people play badminton outdoors on the lawns and there is a PT down there with exercise bikes and free weights albeit OUTDOORS, I think the indoor but is the key[emoji106]

Are flights, trains, restaurants and hotels not indoors?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The over 50's can travel with the peace of mind and knowledge that SAGA now offer emergency medical cover and repatriation if you fall ill with coronavirus while on your trip on all travel insurance policies, as just part of the broad range of cover offered. :thumbsup:

(Other travel insurance policies are available.)

You sir are a git ! I turned 50 during lockdown so couldn't go on my trip to Amsterdam to celebrate. I couldn't go out to dinner. I couldn't even go to the pub. And now you make me realise I qualify for SAGA holidays. If I had an ignore list I'd have to add you :wink:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I fully appreciate your situation and have wished you and your wife well in pasts posts but please stop trying to argue all the time mate [emoji106]

Sorry if you feel I'm arguing, and I made no mention of my/our situation?

I was purely asking, on an open forum, why you felt air travel is now "safe" - if you don't wish to answer that's fine, but please don't accuse me of arguing with you. I would have asked the same question of anyone who had made the same statement.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Sorry if you feel I'm arguing, and I made no mention of my/our situation?

I was purely asking, on an open forum, why you felt air travel is now "safe" - if you don't wish to answer that's fine, but please don't accuse me of arguing with you. I would have asked the same question of anyone who had made the same statement.

I feel its safe as the medical experts are saying it safe to do so with precautions. I'm not medically trained so can only trust what the experts tell us which is what we have been doing all along. Not sure if any NSC users are professionally trained to the level to make public decisions on the current state of the pandemic.
On that basis i will be booking trips away for the rest of the year unless they tell us otherwise.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lots of concerns about flying to Europe at present. Will travel insurance be valid, will you be able to enjoy the break (restaurants, bars operating near normal etc), will flights schedules be near normal, sitting on a plane for 2/3 hours with a mask on, no easy toilet access with kids. Etc Etc. I can understand why the Government is trailing but practically is it too late for this Summer I wonder.

I agree that Le Shuttle sounds a bit more attractive

Travel insurance - wherever people travel, existing or new policies, I think the bottom line will be that all covid-related cover or claims will never be covered. That will include all future strains etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I feel its safe as the medical experts are saying it safe to do so with precautions. I'm not medically trained so can only trust what the experts tell us which is what we have been doing all along. Not sure if any NSC users are professionally trained to the level to make public decisions on the current state of the pandemic.
On that basis i will be booking trips away for the rest of the year unless they tell us otherwise.

This.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You can still get travel insurance, even this week existing insurers have contacted me to renew at no extra cost over last year.

Good advice re the EHIC cards.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just booked my mates wedding in Malta middle of September after it being cancelled last month.
Bought annual insurance in November when I went to Amsterdam so assume I'll still be covered

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can still get travel insurance, even this week existing insurers have contacted me to renew at no extra cost over last year.

Good advice re the EHIC cards.

I'm sure you can get travel insurance but check what it actually covers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here