Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Overlooked vegetables

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Marrow is ok, but a little watery, so definitely needs help. Butternut squash is possibly the daddy here, IMO. Bit of olive oil, and roasted with roast dinner of your choice. Dreamy.

What about samphire? A true culinary TREAT, though not so much forgotten as barely known.

Not sure what to do with Samphire to cook it. Had a holiday last year in Norfolk and they were selling it for £3 a bunch when you could pick it yourself for free 200 yds away

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am up for everything so far except the spaghetti squash that I may continue to overlook.

How about cima di rapa? It is Italian for turnip top and easy to grow here. It is fast maturing and when the plant flowers you get a greeny, yellow head similar to broccoli. It makes a wonderful pasta dish using orecchiette (little ears) as the pasta and adding garlic, olive oil and parmesan. Its a Puglian dish from Southern Italy and easy to replicate here with allotment vegetabes.

So get growing and prepare your little ears pasta with turnip heads. It only takes 40 days to maturs from seed.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I've never overlooked a vegetable but I did once spy on a pomegranate.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Late crops this year so only just got our first pickings of Autumn sown broad beans off the allotment tonight. Aside from fresh sweetcorn, this has to be my favourite veg, whether raw or lightly steamed and smeared with marg and black pepper. It's certainly the one I look forward to most.

But for overlooked I'd go for Kohlrabi too. I've only ever grown it, not really seen it sold and it's lovely grated raw in a salad. Strange how it doesn't seem to be that well known or liked.

Like others here, I love beetroot too, but not into spoiling it's great flavour by pickling it. Love to eat it boiled or chopped up into thin slices, brushed with olive oil and then roasted to make beetroot crisps. The kids love 'em!

For best value grown I'd go for perpetual spinach. Isn't cheap to buy in the shop and we get bagfuls of the stuff off the plot for most of the year and it's especially good as soup to go with eba or pounded yam.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Swede (but not the appalling version they served for school dinners though)

More beetroot.

And sprouts.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Steam it for four minutes.

Best served with fish.

Or boil for about three, drain and then sautée for 30 seconds with olive oil, pepper and a small knob (wahey) of butter. Agree totally with the serving suggestion. Fish at the far (Lagoon) end of Shoreham harbour sell it in summer if you can't be arsed to find your own.

Butternut squash roasted with thyme & olive oil on 180 for about 40 mins is superb with lamb and braised leaks great with pork belly.

Romanescu cauliflower roasted with garlic is also a regular with us.

Sadly the kids won't touch any of the above hence a freezer full of frozen peas.

Asparagus is highly overrated and makes your piss stink.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Or boil for about three, drain and then sautée for 30 seconds with olive oil, pepper and a small knob (wahey) of butter. Agree totally with the serving suggestion. Fish at the far (Lagoon) end of Shoreham harbour sell it in summer if you can't be arsed to find your own.

So does the fishmonger next door to the fishing museum on Brighton beach.

Actually, so does Morrison's. And the greengrocer on Fiveways.

Asparagus is highly overrated and makes your piss stink.

Asparagus isn't the problem; it's making sure your Hollandaise sauce is right.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So does the fishmonger next door to the fishing museum on Brighton beach.

Actually, so does Morrison's. And the greengrocer on Fiveways.

Excellent. I live in West West Hove* So Fish is the nearest and the cheapest. The one time Sainos had it they were charging something ridiculous. Might as well have had a sign that said "stupidly expensive because Nigel Slater mentioned it and you're never going to forage"

*Portslade

Asparagus isn't the problem; it's making sure your Hollandaise sauce is right.

If your sauce doesn't split your piss smells normal?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Excellent. I live in West West Hove* So Fish is the nearest and the cheapest. The one time Sainos had it they were charging something ridiculous. Might as well have had a sign that said "stupidly expensive because Nigel Slater mentioned it and you're never going to forage"

*Portslade

If your sauce doesn't split your piss smells normal?

Don't recall an asparagus scented waterfall in our latrine; just the usual battery acid-laced cottaging stench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here