Overlooked vegetables

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Kohlrabi should not be left out.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I love Kale, you don't see that about as much as you used to.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Nonsense.

My parents used to have a grocery and greengrocery shop in Worthing, and my father used to boil beetroot on occasion to sell. The smell of it cooking always made me feel sick - very different from how it eventually turns out to taste - and I have barely been able to face it since.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
celeriac makes a beautiful coleslaw dish.

Celeraic was going to be my suggestion. Good in coleslaw or remoulade, very good mashed or roasted or in stews.

I'd also say cauliflower, obviously brilliant in cheese sauce or curries, but also excellent raw and roasted and is my favourite side veg in a roast or stew (as long as it's not boiled to b*ggary

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I love Kale, you don't see that about as much as you used to.

I love kale, too.

But my own favourite vegetable, much to many other people's disgust, is Brussel Sprouts.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I love kale, too.

But my own favourite vegetable, much to many other people's disgust, is Brussel Sprouts.

I like the odd sprout here and there, but a warm and nasal-hair-singeing memory i have is of the sprout curry a colleague brought the leftovers in for lunch for me and one other workmate to share. Our office was phone-centred, air-tight soundproofer, but i tend to think the stench of our reverberating honkers was both felt and tearjerkingly sniffed in the open-plan office adjacent to ours. 3 men crying both with laughter and self-repulsion and fear of pending visitors was a joy to be one of.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Go on their website and tell them you don't want it in your box. We did. Never seen it since. :thumbsup:

I ditched Abel and Cole a while back, to be honest. I haven't opened my own farm with mutated peas and illuminous cabbages, but i tended to like buying a bit more in my local Turkish grocers that was more bargainsome and varied and i didn't have to worry about finding the box tampered with - or urinated upon - on my urban doorstep.
if i restart my relationship with them, probably when i resuburbanise, then i'll very surely untick kohlrabi though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Celeraic was going to be my suggestion. Good in coleslaw or remoulade, very good mashed or roasted or in stews.

I'd also say cauliflower, obviously brilliant in cheese sauce or curries, but also excellent raw and roasted and is my favourite side veg in a roast or stew (as long as it's not boiled to b*ggary

The humble cauliflower- raw or lightly steamed, not boiled to death as per old fashioned school dinners- is a hugely underrated vegetable.

I am right back into a bit of cauliflower love lately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here