Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Overlooked vegetables

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've got a steady crop of Swiss chard brightening up my dinner plate. Piece of piss to grow, looks lovely, versatile and delicious. Hail chard!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I love Kale, you don't see that about as much as you used to.

You should try living over here. Kale - boerenkool - is a national winter staple in the Netherlands, best mashed up with potatoes and lots of milk and butter as stampot. Love it.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Can't think that leeks or courgette are overlooked but those are the two main ones eaten in our household

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
baked-spaghetti-squash-garlic-butter-4575.jpg
1288030000_spaghetti-squash.jpg

Spaghetti Squash - use in place of ordinary spaghetti, or on its own with garlic butter

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Page three and no one has mentioned ASPARAGUS yet

Good call. This veg is given the correct reverence in Germany though; the spargel saison is an important period in the calendar.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Good call. This veg is given the correct reverence in Germany though; the spargel saison is an important period in the calendar.

In our house, we always call asparagus Spargel - we're kind of crazy, in a boring way. My six months of living in Marburg is to blame. Mmmm Federweiss...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Marrow is ok, but a little watery, so definitely needs help. Butternut squash is possibly the daddy here, IMO. Bit of olive oil, and roasted with roast dinner of your choice. Dreamy.

What about samphire? A true culinary TREAT, though not so much forgotten as barely known.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I know this is no directly vegetable-related message, but as a vegetarian, i tend to think i have the right to say that any foodstuff i mention is fundamentally a vegetable. Recently, partly thanks to a jaunt to Sicily and everything there being pistachio-infected, i have been making some nice meals with crushed pistachio rice at its base. Frying the smashed nuts with some garlic and then coating the cooked rice in it has been utterly yummy. Slithers of mushroom and some sweet pepper pieces and some broccoli i had with it the other day and it was well nice.
I'll tire of it i am sure and pick on a new nut to accompany it, but at the minute i am pistachio mad.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What about samphire? A true culinary TREAT, though not so much forgotten as barely known.

Shudder. Gives me bad memories of what should have been an awesome summer living in Newquay, when in fact I spent I 12 hours a day, 6 days a week in a tiny sweaty kitchen. Nice stuff though

Beans is my contribution. Not Heinz or anything like that but Borlotti beans. Lovely in soups, stews, casseroles and cassoulets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here