Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Outbreak of laryngitis in the north stand?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Nearly. I’m just annoyed it’s not loud enough.
It's never going to be unless the west join in.

It's pretty rare i hear the away end singing loudly.
Same amount of fans and a much lower percentage of "Werthers originals suckers" in the away end.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
Who is denying the North lead the singing in the stadium.

All i'm hearing is feeble excuses as to why the West doesn"t join in.
Numerous people in this thread, who seem to think the North is the same as every other stand despite being behind the goal, being allowed to stand and having a self delcared ultra group (cringe)
It's never going to be unless the west join in.

It's pretty rare i hear the away end singing loudly.
Same amount of fans and a much lower percentage of "Werthers originals suckers" in the away end.
Just isn't true though. How many times have people complained about the away end sucking the ball in? Hardly an accusation ever leveled at the North stand

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The WSU does join in if the whole of the North are singing, no disrespect to the fans under the police box but sometimes it sounds like there are about 20 singing.
This. And today the WSU started the West Stand / North Stand sing and were ignored by the North.

Let’s face it, the real story is there are too many egos in the two singing groups to ever join in with each other, let alone another stand’s song, lots of pensioners on cheap tickets and too many willing to put their tickets on the exchange for a tourist. There’s just a lot of self interested deflection on this thread.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
This. And today the WSU started the West Stand / North Stand sing and were ignored by the North.

Let’s face it, the real story is there are too many egos in the two singing groups to ever join in with each other, let alone another stand’s song, lots of pensioners on cheap tickets and too many willing to put their tickets on the exchange for a tourist and there’s just a lot of self interested deflection on this thread.
I think it was @Wrong-Direction posted a few weeks back and mentioned a group of teenage lads just standing there under the police box taking the piss out of those singing. It was also mentioned they stare at their phones and not join in with songs.
This doesn’t really help in the so called singing section

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think it was @Wrong-Direction posted a few weeks back and mentioned a group of teenage lads just standing there under the police box taking the piss out of those singing. It was also mentioned they stare at their phones and not join in with songs.
This doesn’t really help in the so called singing section
Yeah he did and that’s disgraceful too. Never see that sort at an away game funnily enough.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The WSU does join in if the whole of the North are singing, no disrespect to the fans under the police box but sometimes it sounds like there are about 20 singing.

Numerous people in this thread, who seem to think the North is the same as every other stand despite being behind the goal, being allowed to stand and having a self delcared ultra group (cringe)

Just isn't true though. How many times have people complained about the away end sucking the ball in? Hardly an accusation ever leveled at the North stand
Never heard that...
When have the away end "sucked the ball in"?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Let’s face it, the real story is there are too many egos in the two singing groups to ever join in with each other, let alone another stand’s song, lots of pensioners on cheap tickets and too many willing to put their tickets on the exchange for a tourist. There’s just a lot of self interested deflection on this thread.
Mainly by you.
I think you"re just grumpy at the result and trying to blame it on the North stand, rather than the players.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That’s probably true at home but no one had a problem with more difficult songs in Amsterdam
I agree with much of what you say in this thread, but comparing any part of our home support with the absolute top percentile of loyal fans who got tickets to that game is simply ludicrous. Plus even if every one of the 1,000 there knew all the songs word for word, that amounts to about 1 in 30 people at the Amex.

Maybe it would also help if those who come up with the chants at away games consider actually sharing those with us mere mortals who only go to home games so we could join in?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Never heard the alleged moans of the away end "sucking the ball in"
Hang on, I didn’t say that.
You quoted my post and another by someone else, I was responding to the top part which I thought was your response to my post

Try reading your post #109 again

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Part of the problem is that most football songs are too rambling, too esoteric, and too complicated to ever catch on around the stadium. You need something simple and anthemic which is why the only two chants that get picked up around me in East Upper are 'Albion, Albion' and SBTS. I’ve no real idea what the other songs are. They’re indistinct and quiet, and seem too 'laddish' for the stadium at large. Think of how Blue Moon or I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles or You’ll Never Walk Alone get picked up by much of the crowd at their stadiums. Simple and anthemic. SBTS is our equivalent.

This is very true. Been sitting in Eeast Upper near the south for years and don't have a scoobie what most of the songs are. Just can't hear 'em.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I agree with much of what you say in this thread, but comparing any part of our home support with the absolute top percentile of loyal fans who got tickets to that game is simply ludicrous. Plus even if every one of the 1,000 there knew all the songs word for word, that amounts to about 1 in 30 people at the Amex.

Maybe it would also help if those who come up with the chants at away games consider actually sharing those with us mere mortals who only go to home games so we could join in?
That wasn’t quite my point but I didn’t put it over clearly.

I’d like the simpler, better known songs for home games, for the reasons you state but a wider range away.

Atmosphere isn’t just singing though. Getting in the ref’s ear, putting off away players could all be better. We’re too nice.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Pensioners get cheap tickets everywhere except West lower where there aren’t any concessions.
Anybody else you want to moan at today?
it’s a pity I can’t ignore you.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
asThat’s probably true at home but no one had a problem with more difficult songs in Amsterdam
Well we’re talking about the crowd at home — specifically today.

I wasn’t in Amsterdam but I have been to numerous away games in England. Proportionally more singers tend to follow the team away. On top of that, there are fewer children, and I’d say that proportionally more away fans have 'lunched well' than at the home stadium.

If you’ve had a few looseners pre-game, whether alcohol or something less legal, I think it seems as if everyone is euphorically singing along with the garbled stuff about what we do everywhere we go and running the Palace out of town and paying people’s benefits, blah blah. But.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here