Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Albion] Outbreak of laryngitis in the north stand?

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
So Sheffield United outsang the North for 90 minutes did they?

Maybe if you spent your time singing, rather than judging rhe volumes of the North, it woukd make the difference?

I was replying to your point about the limitations of the North generally, not just about the noise today. Sheffield United were very quiet today, it was flat all round

I do sing tbf, not many people around me do. I just don't think the North do a very good job of leading/creating an atmosphere a lot of the time, when it absolutely should.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I wonder whether some of the issue is post-COVID weā€™ve seen a fairly hefty upheaval in season tickets (people stopping, new people starting, people moving, formerly shared tickets now not in the mix anymore), and as the North is cheaper many of the new faces (who by definition donā€™t sing so much) have found themselves in there which dilutes the atmosphere?

I also wonder if some of the new chants are trying to be a bit too clever. I heard the Joao Pedro chant for the first time today and couldnā€™t understand a word of it (as someone in the north end of WSL). It similarly took ages for the Caicedo one to catch on beyond the bit where his name was sung. By contrast, the Mitoma, Gilmour and Gross ones caught on quickly.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Perhaps a drum is required šŸ¤”
Go Away GIF

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I could pick half a dozen posts to quote but Iā€™ll just say this instead. In every football club in the top four divisions I can think of the home ā€œendā€ leads the singing and everyone else round the sides joins in. Sound wonā€™t project from the back of the WSU back to an end, it has to start there and go round like a wave.

Nevertheless Iā€™m in G block of WSU and atmosphere in there and H is often every bit as good as any time Iā€™ve been in the North. I go in there every home cup game and itā€™s blatantly true that either side of the goal ignores the other one. You can hear them just fine.

If the north wasnā€™t supposed to lead the singing then standing shouldnā€™t be allowed in there. It isnā€™t tolerated anywhere else.
You're talking shit
When the west upper can be bothered, the noise carries just fine.

You"re just picking at the one group of fans that do continually try to make an atmosphere.

Concentrate on trying to improve the noise coming from your stand first

DarrenFreemansPerm

ā­ļøā­ļøā­ļøā­ļø
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
WSU. No team ever in the history of football has had the singing led from the top tier of the main stand.
Right, but considering the size of the NS, and the 15000 or so of you sat in absolute silence do you not think itā€™s a tad hypocritical to be throwing shade at the NS. Why not, rather than taking shots, move to the NS and actually contribute?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You're talking shit

You"re just picking at the one group of fans that do continually try to make an atmosphere.

So the singing should be led by fans near the press box and not by the people who are allowed to stand up so they sing louder?

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
You're talking shit

About three separate groups actually. And they try by all intentionally singing over each other for some reason.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I was replying to your point about the limitations of the North generally, not just about the noise today. Sheffield United were very quiet today, it was flat all round

I do sing tbf, not many people around me do. I just don't think the North do a very good job of leading/creating an atmosphere a lot of the time, when it absolutely should.
Typical west stand attitude.
The north stand aren"t as good as the exact same number of diehard away fans.

They must be the problem...
Whilst i'm sitting on the halfway line, humming along to Sussex by the Sea....
So the singing should be led by fans near the press box and not by the people who are allowed to stand up so they sing louder?
The singing is led by the North stand.
You appear to be annoyed, that it isn't loud enough to rouse the West Stand to join in.

The first 15 minutes was plenty loud enough.
Exactly what was asked for.
The fact is that it failed to ignite, because the West Stand sit on their hands, picking holes in what the North stand are doing..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Right, but considering the size of the NS, and the 15000 or so of you sat in absolute silence do you not think itā€™s a tad hypocritical to be throwing shade at the NS. Why not, rather than taking shots, move to the NS and actually contribute?
Weā€™re in a group of 7. Not only would everyone have to agree but weā€™d have to find 7 Werthers suckers sat near each other in the north to replace. And most of my other mates are in WSU too.

Atmosphere is just fine where we are anyway but I canā€™t imagine someone starting a song in WSU and be heard under the scoreboard. I donā€™t sit with Brian f***ing Blessed.

Can you name another club in the country where fans standing at one end of the ground are tolerated (or have safe standing) and where the team kick to that end in the second half but theyā€™re not expected to lead the atmosphere?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Typical west stand attitude.
The north stand aren"t as good as the exact same number of diehard away fans.

They must be the problem...
Whilst i'm sitting on the halfway line, humming along to Sussex by the Sea....

The singing is led by the North stand.
You appear to be annoyed, that it isn't loud enough to rouse the West Stand to join in.

The first 15 minutes was plenty loud enough.
Exactly what was asked for.
The fact is that it failed to ignite, because the West Stand sit on their hands, picking holes in what the North stand are doing..
Nearly. Iā€™m just annoyed itā€™s not loud enough.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Part of the problem is that most football songs are too rambling, too esoteric, and too complicated to ever catch on around the stadium. You need something simple and anthemic which is why the only two chants that get picked up around me in East Upper are 'Albion, Albion' and SBTS. Iā€™ve no real idea what the other songs are. Theyā€™re indistinct and quiet, and seem too 'laddish' for the stadium at large. Think of how Blue Moon or Iā€™m Forever Blowing Bubbles or Youā€™ll Never Walk Alone get picked up by much of the crowd at their stadiums. Simple and anthemic. SBTS is our equivalent.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Weā€™re in a group of 7. Not only would everyone have to agree but weā€™d have to find 7 Wethers suckers sat near each other in the north to replace. And most of my other mates are in WSU too.

Atmosphere is just fine where we are anyway but I canā€™t imagine someone starting a song in WSU and be heard under the scoreboard. I donā€™t sit with Brian f***ing Blessed.

Can you name another club in the country where fans standing at one end of the ground are tolerated (or have safe standing) and where the team kick to that end in the second half but theyā€™re not expected to lead the atmosphere?
Who is denying the North lead the singing in the stadium.

All i'm hearing is feeble excuses as to why the West doesn"t join in.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Deluded fanbase if you thi k we ever apart from around 10 times we've ever created a atmosphere, nigels up the road worked with their board,sadly barber doesn't want similar

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Part of the problem is that most football songs are too rambling, too esoteric, and too complicated to ever catch on around the stadium. You need something simple and anthemic which is why the only two chants that get picked up around me in East Upper are 'Albion, Albion' and SBTS. Iā€™ve no real idea what the other songs are. Theyā€™re indistinct and quiet, and seem too 'laddish' for the stadium at large. Think of how Blue Moon or Iā€™m Forever Blowing Bubbles or Youā€™ll Never Walk Alone get picked up by much of the crowd at their stadiums. Simple and anthemic. SBTS is our equivalent.
Thatā€™s probably true at home but no one had a problem with more difficult songs in Amsterdam

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here