Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our Squad

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Is JFC injured?
As for the OP, you sir are going on my ignore list. Your incessant negativity bores me. Do you really think that the club didn't try to get a player or 2 in to cover injuries/suspensions. GP stated that there wasn't anybody available better than we had, so just accept it. We have what we have, and that'll be it.

This.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is JFC injured?
As for the OP, you sir are going on my ignore list. Your incessant negativity bores me. Do you really think that the club didn't try to get a player or 2 in to cover injuries/suspensions. GP stated that there wasn't anybody available better than we had, so just accept it. We have what we have, and that'll be it.

Far from being negative I am very positive and believe that we will qualify for the play offs easily. Until we threw away 2 points at Forest and again last night I was convinced that we could still go for automatic. We didnt drop 2 points last night against a good side just a well organised negative defensive operation. I dont understand why we could not sign any players. Gus said none were available better than we had but we didnt need any better than our starting XI but better than the subs we could bring on to replace anybody who wasnt having a good day, they didnt need to be world beaters.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Had we won I doubt this post would exist, then again ???

That is exactly right because had we won it wouldn't have been relevant as the squad would have been good enough but we didnt and the squad proved again that it isnt. I am not sure however, where the fault lies, is it Gus not finding the players or the money not being available I dont know. what I do know is the squad isnt strong enough

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I can't comment on the quality in the depth of your squad, but it looks at the very least 'okay', key is though that it certainly has a decent amount of experience which is invaluable at this stage of a champ season...

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
CMS does not unlock organised and deep Championship defences, so he was no loss last night.

None of those suspended / injured is a critical attacking loss.

The OP is correct .... still a thin squad quality-wise, especially when it comes to match winners / game changers.

disagree slightly, CMS would have given them something different to think about, Maybe freeing up space with his running about and letting the ball players do what they can

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
to all my critics please supply an answer. Last night we looked like we wouldn't score even if the game went on for another hour so out of our existing fit players who could Gus have had on the bench and brought on to unlock this very efficient defensive formation and how would they have done it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Noone, dear god.

This has to be a joke, surely it's a comedy fishing trip.

There can't actually be people that have watched Brighton play football, and think Noone is the answer.

Beggers belief.

happygull

Dec 28, 2011
I think that last night shows how poor and shallow our squad is as we were crying out for somebody to come on and unlock them and showed what a poor decision it was to let Noone go and not replace him.

Poor ?? ..... best squad I have seen at the albion in the 40 years I have been supporting them

Shallow ?? ..... do you not understand club finances ? we just recorded a loss of 9.1 million last year, we have injuries so you deal with life without them, not just splash out of more players to cover and record more losses.

Finally, get over noone, yes nice chirpy lad, a little tricky but once teams learnt his ways he was very limited and very little end product, just like Cardiff are finding after his first 10 games

you sir need to take a dose of happy pills and get in the real world and get behind the team you claim have your support

fingers hovering over the ignore user button :albion2:

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
to all my critics please supply an answer. Last night we looked like we wouldn't score even if the game went on for another hour so out of our existing fit players who could Gus have had on the bench and brought on to unlock this very efficient defensive formation and how would they have done it.

for me personally i'm with you, Orlandi for SD (can't tell you difference that could/would make) was the only one i could see happening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've answered your own question. They were an effective defensive unit.
Swapping Vicente for Orlandi and varying the points of attack might have helped.
But then Vicente wouldn't have been there to be denied by a stunning save.

How many games of us not shooting or threatening the opposition goal, do you need to watch, until you realise last night's attacking performance was great, and 'just one of those things'.

Kicking the ball into row z, or continually running until you've run out of grass certainly won't unlock anything.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Noone? Noone has been rubbish for Cardiff for the last three or four months, and has become a bit part player in their squad. Their fans general opinion seems to be "Nice skills, tricky, but final ball lets him down constantly".

By coincidence, that is exactly what he was (and would have continued to be) in our squad.
This. Revisionist histories aside, whatever the questions that have been asked of the Albion this season I'm not sure Noone was the answer to any of them (apart from 'Who did we sell at just the right time?' :D).

Now I feel mean. Sorry Nooney :D

I was surprised not to see Orlandi come on yesterday though, was there any rumours of slight injuries or anything?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My point was not Noone but the fact that he was sold and not replaced therefore we had 1 less option from the bench.

Why replace the third winger when 95% of the time we only play with one.

Anyway Orlandi and SD came in after Noone left, unless you are suggesting Noone is better than both of them.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
That is exactly right because had we won it wouldn't have been relevant as the squad would have been good enough but we didnt and the squad proved again that it isnt. I am not sure however, where the fault lies, is it Gus not finding the players or the money not being available I dont know. what I do know is the squad isnt strong enough

I agree.

Is suppose the immensely generous TB had to draw the line in the sand somewhere, already having subsidised £8m per annum trading losses and £100m of capex.

Shame that P'boro managed to obtain £3.25m of that limited kitty, on £1m max of talent. The difference would have helped nicely on real quality.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Putting together a squad and tinkering with it after ees complicated.
No million for Noone then maybe no Orlandi or Lopez. At least they can cross the ball.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think our biggest let down last night was our balls into the box from wide positions for Ulloa to attack, they were generally poor. This was so disappointing after our 2nd half performance against Forest.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How long have we known that they would be out for the season and how long ago did Noone leave to not be replaced and we have not made amends, Was Simeon Jackson the only option?
I listened to Tanno's press conference prior to the Charlton game, he told us that Poyet had worked continuously up until 25 minutes before the deadline to get someone in. Whilst I agree that we're light on attackers, I don't think it was for want of trying on the clubs part. Annoying and potentially costly, but what can you do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think our biggest let down last night was our balls into the box from wide positions for Ulloa to attack, they were generally poor. This was so disappointing after our 2nd half performance against Forest.
Each time the wide man was having to get round at least 2 Charlton players, with at least a further 6 in the box.

Plenty of opportunities came our way last night, Buckley, Calde, Upson (might have been Greer), to name 3.
Had any one 'easy' chance gone in the game would have been a cake walk.

As said the were well organised, came for a point and bloody nearly went home with 3, that's football, and of all people Craig Noone wasn't going to change that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here