Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our next gold [was: first, second etc...]

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Just catching up and I see I missed one of our 'golden generation of swimmers' who was strongly fancied for a medal who went for qualification this morning.

Yes, World Championship silver medallist Ellen Gandy went out in the heats of the 200m butterfly.

Adrian Moorhouse: "You can't doubt Ellen's commitment as she went off very quick. She was one of our medal contenders, but has had a nightmare."

We're having a shocker in the pool.

patton who won a bronze in beijing says we're doing great in terms of what their world rankings are, pb's and making finals

so no, we're not having a shocker at all

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Happy Gold Day everybody!! They are going to come thick and fast for Team GB today....as others have already pointed out.

I would enjoy a gold in the swimming the most (chance at 7.30 tonight), though I guess that's not as likely as the dressage, cycling or rowing today.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
at approx. 10.40am tomorrow, Anna Watkins and Katherine Grainger will take Gold for GB in the Womens Double sculls - nailed on!!

they go friday

and i take it bozza is fishing with his neg posts

we've probably had more unexpected success than failure so far!

the only decent chance we've had at gold so far was cavendish in the lottery of road racing and the dynamics of the event cost him

people should get a grip and not assume that making a final means a great chance of a medal

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
also it's worth bearing in mind we had just 2 gold medals after day 6 in beijing.

if we don't get at least 2 today on number 5 that would be a bit of a shocker

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
At least we try, I'd be a bit pissed off if I'd been in the crowd for this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19072677

Olympics badminton: Four pairs charged with not trying

The Badminton World Federation has charged eight Olympic doubles players with "not using one's best efforts to win a match".
Four pairs of players - two from South Korea, one from China and one from Indonesia - could be disciplined.
Constant errors, including players serving into the net, took place.
All four pairs had already qualified for the last eight, and they have been accused of wanting to lose in an attempt to manipulate the draw.
At Wembley Arena on Tuesday night, fans jeered the women's doubles match between China's Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli and South Koreans Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na .
The longest rally in the first game lasted four shots, with match referee Thorsten Berg coming on to the court at one point to warn the players.

South Korea won the Group A match, which lasted 23 minutes, 21-14 21-11.
Both pairs were already through to the quarter-finals with the winners to face China's Tian Quing and Zhao Yunlei. The two Chinese pairings can now only meet in the final.
Korea's coach Sung Han-kook said said: "The Chinese started this. They did it first. It's a complicated thing with the draws. They didn't want to meet each other in the semi-final, they don't want that to happen.
"They (BWF) should do something about that."
But Yu said the Chinese decided to preserve energy ahead of the knockout stages.
She said: "Actually these opponents really were strong. This is the first time we've played them and tomorrow it's the knockout rounds, so we've already qualified and we wanted to have more energy for the knockout rounds."
A later match between South Korean third seeds Ha Jung-Eun and Kim Min-Jung and Indonesian pair Meiliana Juahari and Greysia Polii was played out in a similar atmosphere.
Referee Berg returned to court and brandished the black card, signalling disqualification, but it was rescinded and the match resumed when the Indonesians protested.
Analysis

Both pairs had also already qualified for the knockout stages, with the winners of Group C to play Yu and Wang and the Korean pairs to face each other if Ha and Kim lost.
The Koreans won 18-21 21-14 21-12 and did not comment before leaving the court, but Polii said: "I don't know what happened. If that's the game, we have to accept all the things.
"Either they want to trust us - we play bad or we play good. Our control is only to play as good as we can."
Gail Emms, a badminton Olympic silver medallist for Great Britain in 2004, who was at the event for BBC Sport, said: "I'm furious. It is very embarrassing for our sport.
"This is the Olympic Games. If badminton wants to save face they should disqualify the two pairs and reinstate the pairs that came third in the group.
"This is something that is not acceptable. The crowd paid good money to watch two matches."
The International Olympic Committee said it had "every confidence" in the badminton federation to "deal with the issue appropriately and take any necessary measures".
China's Olympic sports delegation has begun an investigation into the matches, state media reported. The country's Olympic Committee opposed any behaviour which violated "sporting spirit and morality", a spokesman said.
Further action could be taken based on the results of the investigation, the spokesman said in a report published by Xinhua news agency.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
well i hope you won't be moaning if we fail to match the 19 golds from beijing and don't have our greatest games ever

still a lot of events to come where we have a great chance that we didn't get gold in beijing

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
well i hope you won't be moaning if we fail to match the 19 golds from beijing and don't have our greatest games ever

still a lot of events to come where we have a great chance that we didn't get gold in beijing

Are you stupid? I'm not moaning at all.

Should I have put a comedy smilie after each post so the less intelligent could get it?

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
lol you've been moaning after most events we haven't won!

and now it was all a joke

righto!

tbf i was right when i said you must be fishing

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth

righto!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

righto!

I haven't moaned once, just stating facts, gently ribbing those "woe is us, Team GB are rubbish" merchants with some gallows humour.

Apologies for it being too subtle for you. I'll use lots of smilies from now on. :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

righto!

attachment.php

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
they go friday

and i take it bozza is fishing with his neg posts

we've probably had more unexpected success than failure so far!

the only decent chance we've had at gold so far was cavendish in the lottery of road racing and the dynamics of the event cost him

people should get a grip and not assume that making a final means a great chance of a medal

So who are the pair going at 11.50 today then?

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
So who are the pair going at 11.50 today then?

glover and stanning in the pairs

jamieson is also a gold medal chance tonight in the 200 breaststroke while pooley in the road race and the mens 8s rowing are also outside chances for gold today but will hopefully medal

given we have wiggo as well hot fav, if we only take 1 gold today then i'm joining the campaign of doom!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Happy Gold Day everybody!! They are going to come thick and fast for Team GB today....as others have already pointed out.

I would enjoy a gold in the swimming the most (chance at 7.30 tonight), though I guess that's not as likely as the dressage, cycling or rowing today.

Isn't it time for some political comment about we only do well in sports for the rich? (Equestrian, Rowing,Sailing)

Just wondering :whistle:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
glover and stanning in the pairs

jamieson is also a gold medal chance tonight in the 200 breaststroke while pooley in the road race and the mens 8s rowing are also outside chances for gold today but will hopefully medal

given we have wiggo as well hot fav, if we only take 1 gold today then i'm joining the campaign of doom!

Lol..I think an exciting day ahead

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Good news in the darts: :clap:

There's a standing ovation from the home crowd watching the individual women's archery competition at Lord's as Great Britain's Amy Oliver pulls off a huge upset to beat world number one Deepika Kumari of India.

Oliver, who is the last GB archer left in the event and only qualified 57th of 64 women in the ranking round, beat her teenage opponent 6-2. Good arrows!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here