Our next gold [was: first, second etc...]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just catching up and I see I missed one of our 'golden generation of swimmers' who was strongly fancied for a medal who went for qualification this morning.

Yes, World Championship silver medallist Ellen Gandy went out in the heats of the 200m butterfly.

Adrian Moorhouse: "You can't doubt Ellen's commitment as she went off very quick. She was one of our medal contenders, but has had a nightmare."

We're having a shocker in the pool.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am now expecting a total of about 15 golds ( and I sincerely hope I'm wrong )

Think you will be wrong. Think we will do well to get 10!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He's conspiring to stuff it right up.

Yep World no.1 doesn't even reach the final. Still he obviously didn't get chance to practice on the course. Hang on though it's in England :(

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yep World no.1 doesn't even reach the final. Still he obviously didn't get chance to practice on the course. Hang on though it's in England :(

He's only ridden the course 3000 times. How is he supposed to compete with that disadvantage?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's only ridden the course 3000 times. How is he supposed to compete with that disadvantage?
At least he had the good grace to look heart brokenly shell shocked by it all.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hannah Miley should spark a gold rush tonight.

Sorry, I meant the other one - 7th place and crushing disappointment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hannah Miley - 7th place and crushing disappointment.
She'd better be.
Any reference to Rio, and I will not be happy.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
We need darts.

Micahel Jamieson and Andrew Willis just qualified for the final of 200m Breaststroke with 1st and 3rd best times respectively. Surely in with a chance tomorrow evening!

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
81kg men's judo: nothing.

Don't forget the country Euan, you've let the whole sodding country down.

Yeah I did notice that he didn't mention anything about the rest of the country apart from the people that came down to support him. Well if he wasn't representing the rest of the country he should have stayed at home.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Looking good for the golf..........in 2016. Still as compensation the Aussies are supposed to be the masters of swimming and it's not going too good for them.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Positive thinking, people:

Five-time Olympic rowing gold medallist Steve Redgrave is confident of seeing British success at Eton Dorney, starting today: "I think we are going to win seven medals over the next four days and it could even be better than that. We are almost guaranteed four golds and if everything goes extremely well it could be five.

"Waiting around those last two or three hours before a race is hell. When you are out in the boat you are in your zone and it is sheer hell for those watching.

"The atmosphere has been wonderful here. Every crew that comes off the water says they are great. With 1,000m to go, there is a wall of noise. If our crews need an extra person in their boat, there are a few thousand of them here."

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Today is the day it all starts looking good.

Sincerely hope so but beginning to get uneasy vibes about these games. Lots of near misses and hard luck stories. All the pressure on rowing, yachting and cycling to deliver the bulk of medals again.
GB swimmers seem delighted to reach finals....." 7th in Beijing...5th in London....I'm delighted and looking forward to Rio etc etc etc "....we can't seem to take that extra step onto the podium.
I disagree with the statement that early golds don't matter....they do. Success breeds success. We all see the medals table, including the athletes. It lifts everybody to see us high in the table ( not 21st )
We need to start winning some ' surprise medals ' ( a la gymnastics ) not just focussing on the bankers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports