Our next gold [was: first, second etc...]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
81kg men's judo: nothing.

Great Britain's Euan Burton gave after crashing out of the judo in the first round of the men's 81kg class.

The 33-year-old, who has been ranked as high as fourth in his weight division, loses in abrupt fashion as he is beaten by Ippon in his first contest to Canadian Antoine Valois-Fortier.

After the fight a teary Burton told BBC Sport: "I feel like I have let myself down, I have let my mum and dad down, I feel like I've let everybody I've ever trained with down."

Don't forget the country Euan, you've let the whole sodding country down.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
81kg men's judo: nothing.

Don't forget the country Euan, you've let the whole sodding country down.

At least he mentioned his Dad... very topical that at the moment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lovely stuff in the handball. Just got dicked 41-19 by Sweden.

Useless. Bring them all home FFS.

Oh.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lovely stuff in the handball. Just got dicked 41-19 by Sweden.

Useless. Bring them all home FFS.

Oh.

5Live are putting a big positive spin on this, thus...

They lost 41-15 to France, so they scored 4 more and conceded 3 fewer. And Sweden are better than France.

(In fairness we did have no chance in the handball, as most of us knew. Some of the other stuff is a bit shithouse though.)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Where are all the pundits who were confidently predicting 22-23 golds for us before the games?
They've all gone very quiet. The pressure is growing...no gold after 5 days. You have to get gold on the board early ( Nicole Cooke...2nd day 2008 ) to allow that momentum to grow. We are already two down on last time, so thats a minimum of two bonus golds needed.
Its difficult to see swimming, rowing, yachting and cycling matching Beijing results so enormous pressure on the track athletes.
First gold will come in rowing ( Grainger + partner, I hope )....after that who knows. I am now expecting a total of about 15 golds ( and I sincerely hope I'm wrong )

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
5Live are putting a big positive spin on this, thus...

They lost 41-15 to France, so they scored 4 more and conceded 3 fewer. And Sweden are better than France.

(In fairness we did have no chance in the handball, as most of us knew. Some of the other stuff is a bit shithouse though.)
Indeed. I thought France were hot favourites for the gold in the men's?

The biggest disappointment has been in the pool where British Swimming had targetted six medals, and yet we'll get 2 or 3. No pressure, Becky A.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Looking good in the badmint.....oh

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The biggest disappointment has been in the pool where British Swimming had targetted six medals,.

The difficulty with this kind of statement, is that all those pesky other countries target those medals too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The difficulty with this kind of statement, is that all those pesky other countries target those medals too.
It's not my statement, but actually no they don't - that's the point. But even if you're right, you might want to take that up with British Swimming just in case they hadn't realised?

The USA, Chinese and Aussies might have designs on medals in all or most swimming events, but none of the others do. The Dutch, French, GB, South Africa and so on are targetting medals in events where they have strong swimmers, not just making up the numbers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not my statement, but actually no they don't - that's the point. But even if you're right, you might want to take that up with British Swimming just in case they hadn't realised?

The USA, Chinese and Aussies might have designs on medals in all or most swimming events, but none of the others do. The Dutch, French, GB, South Africa and so on are targetting medals in events where they have strong swimmers, not just making up the numbers.

Well obviously.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyway, Croatia v Serbia in the handball is looking a bit tasty. Wouldn't it be lovely to see a spot of TROUBLE in the crowd to liven it up a bit more? :jester:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Anyway, Croatia v Serbia in the handball is looking a bit tasty. Wouldn't it be lovely to see a spot of TROUBLE in the crowd to liven it up a bit more? :jester:

I wonder if any of them have managed to sneak in a FLARE or two.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We're going to end tomorrow with 2 golds (Glover/Stanning and Wiggins), book it.

And don't forget there's always Andy Murray.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You have to get gold on the board early ( Nicole Cooke...2nd day 2008 ) to allow that momentum to grow.

I don't see why this would make one iota of difference personally.

If I was competing in Judo on day 8 I wouldn't CARE if we had a gold yet.

'Team GB' is only a team in as far as we add up the medals. THATS IT.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
And in reality the medal system is a load of crock that people get behing for willy waving purposes against other countries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports