Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our man in Germany talks Hyypia

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
This sort of thing is often difficult for somebody moving directly from playing, to managing, a squad of players. He was having to manage players who were his team-mates month previously.

Working with a completely new set of players, who don't know him personally, is unlikely to see the same kind of issues.

Good point. And not just a new set of players, a new set of players many of whom he has brought in himeslf.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Seemed an odd choice to me and not exactly one of the high profile applicants they were bragging about.
Love this sort of comment. Admittedly he isn't Pele or Jose Mourinho but I think it is fair to say that SAMI HYPPIA is relatively "high profile" within the world of football...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Christ, just ONE opinion on someone from Germany and people are doubting him already before he has even started the bloody job.

How do you know he hasnt learnt lessons from Bayer ? Also, he was at Bayer for a while so the friend to the players issue will stem through that. Here, he wouldnt have worked with our lot before so he certainly wouldnt be mates with them straight away, if at all.

Lets wait until pre-season is over, some new faces have came in and lets see how we start the season, thats how we will see if its working or not.

Completely agree with this. Talk about over reaction.

So, presumably the views of the board are completely irrelevant because one person says a few things criticising Hyypia. Nobody guaranteeing he's going to be a success but at least give him a chance before writing him off. He isn't even being officially unveiled until Thursday and already some people on this thread are saying he's rubbish!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Christ, just ONE opinion on someone from Germany and people are doubting him already before he has even started the bloody job.

How do you know he hasnt learnt lessons from Bayer ? Also, he was at Bayer for a while so the friend to the players issue will stem through that. Here, he wouldnt have worked with our lot before so he certainly wouldnt be mates with them straight away, if at all.

Lets wait until pre-season is over, some new faces have came in and lets see how we start the season, thats how we will see if its working or not.

Don't forget ONE person from Canada wrote something criticising Paul Barber before he joined us.

Barber has been deemed evil ever since.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Win ratio while working with Lewandowski was 54%; win ratio when working alone was 51%, including the dreadful run at the end which led to his dismissal.

Personally, I'm in the "quite excited, but aware it's a risk" camp, but it's simply not true to say, as the poster on BBS does, that he didn't have success without Lewandowski. Just by way of comparison, Oscar's win ratio in the league was 41%.

This is the most sensible post I've encountered on the thread. It has far more sense than the article, which appears as though it was written by Eeyore. The only thing that I'll take from it is that he had problems motivating players during the low spell. That is a challenge for managers to reflect on, in order to overcome in the future. Let's hope he's learnt and can adapt if confronted with a similar barren spell. Of course, the best response is to avoid a barren spell in the first place.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Love this sort of comment. Admittedly he isn't Pele or Jose Mourinho but I think it is fair to say that SAMI HYPPIA is relatively "high profile" within the world of football...

in the pub on friday i told a few of my mates about sami joining brighton

they said "joining who"

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
in the pub on friday i told a few of my mates about sami joining brighton

they said "joining who"

You are Selhurst Celtic of message board infamy playing 'the long game' and I claim my £5 in Luncheon Vouchers now piss off back to the BBS and stay there. Cheers.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You are Selhurst Celtic of message board infamy playing 'the long game' and I claim my £5 in Luncheon Vouchers now piss off back to the BBS and stay there. Cheers.
Whoops. Check Loco's location and think again.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Whoops. Check Loco's location and think again.

Give me some credit Moshe! What do you want to put your location as today? Berne? Lichtenstein? We're overrun with undercover Palace on here, I think even Ernest's a season ticket holder in the Arthur Waite.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Give me some credit Moshe! What do you want to put your location as today? Berne? Lichtenstein? We're overrun with undercover Palace on here, I think even Ernest's a season ticket holder in the Arthur Waite.
:smile: Fair enough, I'm sure there are plenty of the smeggy ones undercover on here.

I do know for a fact, however, that Loco has only ever been to Selhurst Park in the away end, and probably not since about 1983...!!!

(I'm also not surprised that the German bloke he spoke to in the pub knew more about Sami Hyppia than he did about BHAFC...)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Bouncing an old thread with interest. It's worrying how accurate that blog is from a journalist on Sami's appointment.

Some interesting views from posters also at the time.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Bouncing an old thread with interest. It's worrying how accurate that blog is from a journalist on Sami's appointment.

Some interesting views from posters also at the time.

yes many thanks for bouncing this...gives me a chance to have ago at cheeky monkey .I missed his comments in june....have been accused of some serious stuff in the past but never ever has anyone gone that far... with 38 years of seriously hating palace under my belt... I demand an apology! Ps ... only made it over for two games so far this season but we won six points and sami waved to me !

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bayer have started well this season, but they seemed to only played the lower clubs: http://www.bayer04.de/B04-DEU/de/_site_index.aspx

I think the German fixtures may be arranged in such a way that it gets more difficult as the season goes on.

But Albion have had quite an easy fixture list so far. Until Spurs and Bournemouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here