Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our man in Germany talks Hyypia

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
According to a poster on the BBS:

'When he took over as team manager at Leverkusen he was working alongside someone else who was responsible for coaching. It was during this period that Leverkusen did quite well. As soon as Hyppia took sole control it all went to shit pretty quickly'

(That coach being Sascha Lewandowski, who is now Leverkusen's manager)

Lewandowski is the CARETAKER manager, they've actually hired Roger Schmidt from Red Bull Salzberg who, according to his Wikipedia page, "starts prior to the 2014–15 season".

This suggests that Lewandowski maybe on a Caretaker Contract until the end of this month (on the basis that the German transfer window opens on 1st July), then goes back to his Youth Team Contract from that time. You wonder whether Schmidt will bring in his own Youth Team Coach, or whether Lewandowski would be looking to join Hyypia.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
According to a poster on the BBS:

'When he took over as team manager at Leverkusen he was working alongside someone else who was responsible for coaching. It was during this period that Leverkusen did quite well. As soon as Hyppia took sole control it all went to shit pretty quickly'

(That coach being Sascha Lewandowski, who is now Leverkusen's manager)

Well he is wrong Lewandowski took control for 5 games only at the end of the season. Granted he turned it around and won 4 of 5.He did not want the managers job and has taken his role with the youth team again.
In addition to say it went shit pretty quickly is wrong.
Leverkusen were 2nd at Christmas. 4 defeats, 1 draw and 12 wins and the only side to take any points from Bayern Munich in the 1st half of the season. They also made the next stage of the champions league and were still in the German cup. His league win ratio at this time alone was a pretty useful 70%.
2nd half of the season they struggled. They could not replace much of the quality 1st 11 with players of similar quality and were found wanting by PSG in the champions league and had a few rough spells. The 1st being a 3 game losing run which was followed by being a run of 3 undefeated.
He then went on a run where they lost the 6 in a row and he was sacked.
I think it is important that Hyypia can bring in 2 coaches that are experienced and can assist him throughout the season.

It is important to remember for some managers it does not work perfectly. Rodgers struggled at Reading but has done wonders since at Swansea and Liverpool. Y

I don't know whether he will be able to get us promoted or how it will pan out but i am willing to give him the chance to build a team here and judge him on what he does at BHA.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I said this was a risky appointment and you think Bloom & Barber would have learnt from the Oscar debacle, this doesn't augur well for the new season

What, that getting us into the playoffs debacle? Or did you have another one in mind- the playoff collapse excluded?

Every managerial appointment is risky and no chairman/owner gets it right every time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He doesn't paint a perfect picture of him does he.

"he seemingly failed or lacked the ability to motivate his side at pivotal moments."

"His tactical knowledge is growing, although he has a conservative tendency, and his naivety was surprising for a man of his footballing experience."
TBH you can level both comments at Gus and Oscar.

They would also appear to sit in the 'history written by the winner' camp, as you could label those comments to most managers.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Lewandowski is the CARETAKER manager, they've actually hired Roger Schmidt from Red Bull Salzberg who, according to his Wikipedia page, "starts prior to the 2014–15 season".

This suggests that Lewandowski maybe on a Caretaker Contract until the end of this month (on the basis that the German transfer window opens on 1st July), then goes back to his Youth Team Contract from that time. You wonder whether Schmidt will bring in his own Youth Team Coach, or whether Lewandowski would be looking to join Hyypia.

They are supposed to have had a falling out which is why Lewandowski moved down to Youth coach

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As others have said, the appointment of his No. 2 is going to be crucial because - regardless of Hyypia's ability - there is just so much squad rebuilding to do, and it will take up so much of Hyypia's time.

If Lewandowski doesn't want to come to the Albion then fair enough, but it would appear getting the pair of them would make a lot of sense. Lewandowski has shown he can be an effective caretaker, given good support to Hyypia and enjoys developing young players.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They are supposed to have had a falling out which is why Lewandowski moved down to Youth coach

Who is THEY, Schmidt and Lewandowski or the club's board and Lewandowski?

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
I've said for two season now that we need someone like Ian Holloway to get us out of the championship, I hope he (hyypia) proves me wrong.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
TBH you can level both comments at Gus and Oscar.

They would also appear to sit in the 'history written by the winner' camp, as you could label those comments to most managers.

Although Oscar had a very weakened team and we never saw the finished article in the season we had with him.

I have no high or low expectations next season and I will just take it as it pans out.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Tried and tested. Available. Good.

Pick any two. Not too many teams get to pick three.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Christ, just ONE opinion on someone from Germany and people are doubting him already before he has even started the bloody job.

How do you know he hasnt learnt lessons from Bayer ? Also, he was at Bayer for a while so the friend to the players issue will stem through that. Here, he wouldnt have worked with our lot before so he certainly wouldnt be mates with them straight away, if at all.

Lets wait until pre-season is over, some new faces have came in and lets see how we start the season, thats how we will see if its working or not.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Christ, just ONE opinion on someone from Germany and people are doubting him already before he has even started the bloody job.

How do you know he hasnt learnt lessons from Bayer ? Also, he was at Bayer for a while so the friend to the players issue will stem through that. Here, he wouldnt have worked with our lot before so he certainly wouldnt be mates with them straight away, if at all.

Lets wait until pre-season is over, some new faces have came in and lets see how we start the season, thats how we will see if its working or not.

That's the wonders of NSC. The pram is forever empty.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Seemed an odd choice to me and not exactly one of the high profile applicants they were bragging about. Still think Sherwood would of been a better appointment if the plan was to go for another rookie manager.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

100 Percent this
goodpost_zpsbd3a44cc.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here