Our man in Germany talks Hyypia

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
According to a poster on the BBS:

'When he took over as team manager at Leverkusen he was working alongside someone else who was responsible for coaching. It was during this period that Leverkusen did quite well. As soon as Hyppia took sole control it all went to shit pretty quickly'

(That coach being Sascha Lewandowski, who is now Leverkusen's manager)

Win ratio while working with Lewandowski was 54%; win ratio when working alone was 51%, including the dreadful run at the end which led to his dismissal.

Personally, I'm in the "quite excited, but aware it's a risk" camp, but it's simply not true to say, as the poster on BBS does, that he didn't have success without Lewandowski. Just by way of comparison, Oscar's win ratio in the league was 41%.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

'When he took over as team manager at Leverkusen he was working alongside someone else who was responsible for coaching. It was during this period that Leverkusen did quite well. As soon as Hyppia took sole control it all went to shit pretty quickly'

They took that from reading his Wikipedia article, not from insider knowledge. We can only hope that Hyypia develops a successful relationship with his new assisstant and back room staff.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Win ratio while working with Lewandowski was 54%; win ratio when working alone was 51%, including the dreadful run at the end which led to his dismissal.

Personally, I'm in the "quite excited, but aware it's a risk" camp, but it's simply not true to say, as the poster on BBS does, that he didn't have success without Lewandowski. Just by way of comparison, Oscar's win ratio in the league was 41%.

Was just about to type almost exactly that.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not getting at the blog poster, but anyone can write a blog - with or without an agenda. What somebody posts -isnt necesserily true or without their own spin on things.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We're loose! It's beginning to sound like the cat we got from Raystede. She was the most loving, affectionate thing when we went to look at her, loved being picked up etc. Once we got her home she would go nuts if you ever tried to pick her up. She pulled an absolute blinder at 'the interview' but turned out to be a bit of a disappointment in the long term (see also Garcia, Oscar).
Mrs G is at Raystede as I type, collecting two feline additions to the Gariani residence...! They both performed well at interview too....

I like to think, however, that we conducted a rigorous selection process in choosing from a high-calibre list and that "Ethel" and "Doris" will prove a great success.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
I'm not getting at the blog poster, but anyone can write a blog - with or without an agenda. What somebody posts -isnt necesserily true or without their own spin on things.

He is a bilingual football writer for the German version of BBC World Service and resides about 20 miles from Leverkusen, so he carries some weight.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
so, from different articles we've heard that:

1. Hyypia struggled to change games where plan A wasn't working - worryingly like Gus / Oscar at times.
2. Hyypia was unable to motivate the team at key points - Gus v Palace, Oscar v Derby.
3. Hyypia often spoke about problems (too honestly) with the press - like Gus
4. Hyypia at times was too friendly with the players - Dean Wilkins?
5. He tends to be conservative - defensive? - both Oscar and to a lesser extent Gus were criticised for this.

Let's hope he's learnt a lot from the stint at BL then, eh?

The big question is whether he can build a team. Taking over an existing squad is one thing - but there is team building to be done. Fingers crossed.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A lot will depend on the players we can bring in.

From the Argus "Working closely with the chairman and our scouting team, Sami will narrow the work the team has already been doing, and identify those specific players he wants to bring in. Providing those players are available and within our budget, we will do our best to get them.”

I just remember when Bloom was questioned about last seasons transfermarket and saying that Oscars targets were unrealistic.

Fingers crossed that Bloom has got it right, but I can't help thinking that Hughton would have been better suited to us.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

The day anyone takes any notice of an agenda-driven BBS sour-face is the day to give up on football.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

From the Argus "Working closely with the chairman and our scouting team, Sami will narrow the work the team has already been doing, and identify those specific players he wants to bring in. Providing those players are available and within our budget, we will do our best to get them.”

I just remember when Bloom was questioned about last seasons transfermarket and saying that Oscars targets were unrealistic.

Fingers crossed that Bloom has got it right, but I can't help thinking that Hughton would have been better suited to us.

I don't get the Hughton comment. I know a couple of Norwich supporters and they have nothing good to say about him.

For all the comments on Hyypia's time at Leverkusen, he still had them in fourth place when he left (and they had been as high as second at one point). This is in a league which had the best two teams in Europe from the previous season. Hardly disastrous, is it?

He will have learnt from his time managing Leverkusen and I'm sure will change things that didn't go well there. It won't guarantee success but it is ridiculous people are reading articles like this and suggesting we made the wrong choice.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I must say when I read that I has a Deju Vu moment.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I found that article very concerning. As others have said, it suggests that the appointment of his 2nd in command will be vital to our success next season. That and plugging the enormous gaps in our first team squad.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't get the Hughton comment. I know a couple of Norwich supporters and they have nothing good to say about him.

The trouble is with the Norwich job the owners upset the apple cart for themselves by threatening to sack him before the Christmas period last season.

Bearing in mind he got them to a respectable 11th the season before, and he got Newcastle promoted back up in one season. He knows the English game inside out and is always highly respected by the players he had managed. Even the Newcastle fans were disappointed about his dismissal and that says something.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I found that article very concerning. As others have said, it suggests that the appointment of his 2nd in command will be vital to our success next season. That and plugging the enormous gaps in our first team squad.
That's what worries me. It's the biggest squad rebuilding time since moving to the Amex and we have given that to an inexperience manager in Hyypia. Something just doesn't sit right with me with him in charge now. I never wanted him as my choice of manager but i hope he proves me completely wrong.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The big question is whether he can build a team. Taking over an existing squad is one thing - but there is team building to be done. Fingers crossed.

Let's hope he is up to the task. Maybe he'll get some help from his mates in Liverpool? We have to remember that Poyet took nearly two years to create his squad-will SH get that long? Things are different now-Poyet didn't have to compete with clubs receiving 60 odd Million quid in parachute payments to keep their Premier League teams intact.

It's a massive gamble by Tony Bloom and I don't know how I feel about the appointment. One minute I think that if SH as a manager matches SH the player in ability and commitment we'll be OK, then I get nervous and wonder if it'll all end in tears.

Regardless, we all need to get behind the club because this season is massive for us and TB and co. need to get it right this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here