Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our goalkeeper options next season, and beyond

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
If we are looking at a new keeper for next season and rumours are that Caoimhín Kelleher wants to leave Liverpool are true then we should certainly be looking at him. He's going to cost a large chunk of cash though as he's still got 3 years on his contract there, but I've always been very impressed whenever I've seen him play.
I'd much rather a proven keeper. Gavin Bazunu is seen as the better young Irish keeper than Kelleher. It would be risky paying a large chunk of money for an unproven keeper. Someone like Uğurcan Çakır would be a better option at this stage.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Interesting conversation about the goals Steele has conceded.

My view is that all the Brentford ones were questionable defending rather than goalkeeping. How anyone thinks the first one, (the bullet header) was gettable is beyond me.

A possible argument could be made that he should be claiming the free kick. Though I think that's harsh. It had enough pace on that I don't think he was getting there. To me, again, that one is up to his defence to deal with.

The one I think Sanchez would have saved was Harrison's for Leeds.

But all considered, I think Steele has seen off Sanchez for this season at least and in my view has the rest of the season to audition for the role of first choice next season.

It's a remarkable improvement. Six months ago I argued that he was one of the weaker back up keepers in the division. Now he's a key player in a European qualification charge. Huge credit to him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Brentford are the most aggressive side seen at the Amex for years. Not their tackling but their physicality in attacking the opposition goal. When they attacked there were often nine or ten of their team in our half. And their set pieces are the same, very quick and direct movements towards the goal with impressive timing. We’re not a ‘slow’ team to defend but we were (at times) overwhelmed by their massed ranks. Don’t think jet-lag helped our lads either. Steele did ok. Thomas Frank has got a very good system going there.
Agree, but this is when you need to be a little tougher. The whole straight run and overload on the third goal was really poor, and showed a little bit of poor preparation on top of the poor defending.

We need to get this right tonight.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'd back Sanchez to be our Number 1 next season. He's going to win us the FA cup. If we can get Ben to come back home it'll do him the world of good.
This being the ' Ben ' who after the Chelsea game when leaving the Amex gave some Albion fans the middle finger? No thanks!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good goalkeeping. Not exceptional. Just what would be expected of a decent keeper. Steele is doing a good job - but he is not some magical wonderful upgrade on Sanchez.
Caught every cross
Made some very good saves, closed down to force a miss.
Distribution was top drawer.
Clean sheet.
Cheer up!

edit: I just saw on the match day thread you followed it on the radio…mustn’t have looked as good on there then.:lolol:

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
With RDZ making a very bold announcement that Sanchez would be in goal for the semi-final, would be a very strong indication to me at least that our goalkeeping options for next season will be these two at 1 and 2. Which way round, who knows.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Caught every cross
Clean sheet.
Cheer up!

edit: I just saw on the match day thread you followed it on the radio…mustn’t have looked as good on there then.:lolol:
His distribution was as good as you'll see from any goalkeeper in PL matches. Made a lot of bold, and well executed passes.
I understand that such features are enhanced on the radio.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
I’m just pleased that we have two good keepers and either could start a high profile game. When were we last in this situation?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Caught every cross
Clean sheet.
Cheer up!

Highlights are available. Radio Sussex commentators very professional and knowledgable too - so, yes, it is possible to get a good sense of the game from skilled radio reporters. Should discussion of football and the Albion be restricted to those who were at the match then, do you think?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Highlights are available. Radio Sussex commentators very professional and knowledgable too - so, yes, it is possible to get a good sense of the game from skilled radio reporters. Should discussion of football and the Albion be restricted to those who were at the match then, do you think?
Highlights are available - what 15mins into the second half when you replied to me?

I just give an opinion at HT that Steele had an exceptional first half, you replied to definitively say he didn't, without having seen a thing, but it's me restricting having a discussion or having an opinion - Don't think so GT, you just made yourself look a bit daft that's all.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Caught every cross
Clean sheet.
Cheer up!

Who was a calming influence throughout.

His saves were all steady, and it would have been disappointing if any of those had gone in. The tip over the bar was very good though. Even the near miss in the first half, Steele was out so quickly, the forward was forced to shot a milli-second earlier, which may have made the difference.

Handling exceptional.

Sanchez is a very good goalie as well, but on current form you could not drop Steele.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here