Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our goalkeeper options next season, and beyond

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Dare I say it, because it might be considered heresy, but back in the day (pre RDZ) Sanchez used to ping out some pretty decent long passes out to the wide players too.
I said this on another thread and think a lot of people, seemingly most, have forgotten that Sanchez is good with the ball at his feet. I think he's actually better than Steele.

The reason Steele is playing is because he follows instructions about how and when to use the ball. So it's more tactical as opposed to ability, in my opinion. As well as being a massive kick up the arse to Sanchez in general.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I said this on another thread and think a lot of people, seemingly most, have forgotten that Sanchez is good with the ball at his feet. I think he's actually better than Steele.

The reason Steele is playing is because he follows instructions about how and when to use the ball. So it's more tactical as opposed to ability, in my opinion. As well as being a massive kick up the arse to Sanchez in general.
I stand by Bob s the better keeper imho
But it’s Steeles shirt to lose currently
He s playing very well

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Steele is clearly a great guy to have around the squad, happy to play second/third fiddle, but he's out of his depth in the Premier League.

I didn't really feel that Sanchez was THAT bad with his feet, I was more concerned with his flapping and the mistakes that seemed to be becoming a regular occurrence.

I'd like to keep the faith with Sanchez, if possible.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I would like to see us cash in on Sanchez if we could. Steele is not the level we need, and he's never going to blow your socks off like Sanchez . . . but then he's not going to make the most calamitous mistakes like Sanchez either. It would be nice to have a keeper who was a mix of the two of them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not down to goalkeeping today, far too little marking and too much freedom for all 3 goals. Another keeper may have claimed the cross for the third, but it was a challenging ball over a crowded box, high risk take imho. The first, just luck for a keeper if it hits you or not.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think we have to go back to Sanchez or sell him. Unless decided already, then we need to give him some gametime and see if his determination in back after the shock he’s had. I for one would like to see him given the chance. If the second option then it feels like we have plenty coming through and a short term, older but elite pro is what we need not a 25 year old to flip in 2 years time for profit. Keylor Navas ending up at Forrest I’m sure is crazy wages like Lallana but the type of short term deal that could be out there with a view to improving the likes of Rushworth and Beadle.

I might get slammed, but if Potter gets sacked by the summer, I’d take Roberts and Bruno back in a heartbeat and leave the other staff to wander in the wilderness. Think Roberts was amazing and the secret.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can only presume those wanting Sanchez back after yesterday weren’t at the game and are basing it on us conceding three.

Nothing Steele could do about any goal which were caused by sloppy marking and defending and us switching off from our own throw.

Meanwhile, Steele got a Premier League assist

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Steele is clearly a great guy to have around the squad, happy to play second/third fiddle, but he's out of his depth in the Premier League.

I didn't really feel that Sanchez was THAT bad with his feet, I was more concerned with his flapping and the mistakes that seemed to be becoming a regular occurrence.

I'd like to keep the faith with Sanchez, if possible.

This,

Sanchez is a better shot stopper (apart from penalties bizarrely!)

He’s equally as good with his feet

It’s his box management on crosses which has been the issue, he often came out too far and tried to command the ball over too many players when it would have been better to stay on the line and at least have a keeper face the secondary shot rather than be on the floor by the penalty spot!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I know it’s just a matter of opinion, but for me Sanchez is a much more rounded keeper with a much higher ceiling than Steele. I’d be thoroughly disappointed if we lost him.

Looking at yesterday, for example, whilst I appreciate Steele set up our first with his feet, I honestly think Sanchez saves at least one of their goals, if not a couple.

But our opinions don’t really matter, so we’ll just have to see what RDZ wants longer term.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I know it’s just a matter of opinion, but for me Sanchez is a much more rounded keeper with a much higher ceiling than Steele. I’d be thoroughly disappointed if we lost him.

Looking at yesterday, for example, whilst I appreciate Steele set up our first with his feet, I honestly think Sanchez saves at least one of their goals, if not a couple.

But our opinions don’t really matter, so we’ll just have to see what RDZ wants longer term.
I think everybody would say Sanchez has more potential than Steele but I don’t think any keeper in the world saves any of those Brentford goals yesterday.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think everybody would say Sanchez has more potential than Steele but I don’t think any keeper in the world saves any of those Brentford goals yesterday.
They don’t.

However, having now seen the third, I would query his starting position. Great delivery, but perhaps if he’s slightly further out he goes for the cross….

Still shit defending at the back post though, just allowed a straight run by the scorer.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
They don’t.

However, having now seen the third, I would query his starting position. Great delivery, but perhaps if he’s slightly further out he goes for the cross….

Still shit defending at the back post though, just allowed a straight run by the scorer.
Even the cross for the third I don’t think he could do anything with as the delivery was too flat. If he had started further out - which I don’t think he could have with a free kick in that position - and come to collect it, he would have been in no mans land as he wouldn’t have been able to catch it as it would have been too low at the point it reached him. That was just all down to an excellent delivery and poor defending.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Even the cross for the third I don’t think he could do anything with as the delivery was too flat. If he had started further out - which I don’t think he could have with a free kick in that position - and come to collect it, he would have been in no mans land as he wouldn’t have been able to catch it as it would have been too low at the point it reached him. That was just all down to an excellent delivery and poor defending.
Yes, perhaps I’m being harsh.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Sanchez stops / claims at least one of the goals but doesn’t make the assist for the first goal (which the whole bench, Sanchez included, were quick to praise Steele for).
Actually, Sanchez long ball distribution is better than his short ball. I remember his pings out to Cucu and others last season.
I do wonder if we will see Sanchez back for Bournemouth.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They don’t.

In Estupian’s defence for their 3rd it doesn’t show a bit of wrestling before the free kick was taken that he lost out on hence he lost his man. He was just off balance as it was taken and never recovered.

Not sure about Steele’s position for the 3rd, it’s a delivery from a deep diagonal position, if anything I wondered if our line was just a bit too high? Think we were worried about their aerial threat so battled to keep too high a line hence it wasn’t headed. Whether you conclude Steele could have been further forward or our line a bit deeper, the gap between the two meant that ball could drop to be tapped in. We left a lot of space to aim that ball.

For me all 3 goals have more defensive errors than they do any goalkeeping ones.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Actually, Sanchez long ball distribution is better than his short ball. I remember his pings out to Cucu and others last season.
To quote RDZ - Jason Steele is able to do what he asks from a goalkeeper,

I don’t think there’s anything from yesterday that forces a change and the assist is exactly what RDZ wants to see I’d imagine

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
After conceding 3 at home, whether his fault or not, it would be an opportunity for the former No.1 to win his place back. Dilemma for RDZ this week.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
I felt like all three attempts were those of an average keeper. The first was almost right at him, albeit at pace. Second was also hit hard, but again very close to him. Not sure I agree that "no keeper in the world saves those"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here