Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our goalkeeper options next season, and beyond

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I would like to see us cash in on Sanchez if we could. Steele is not the level we need, and he's never going to blow your socks off like Sanchez . . . but then he's not going to make the most calamitous mistakes like Sanchez either. It would be nice to have a keeper who was a mix of the two of them.
Sorry, but we don’t know this. He’s only played 4 PL games and in one of those he almost gifted Palace an equaliser in stoppage time.

Sanchez is the sort of player that does make mistakes, it’s true, but he’s also the sort of keeper that wins you points with world-class saves. Whilst none of the 5 goals conceded against Leeds and Brentford were bad goal keeping in any way, I can’t help but think that Sanchez would’ve pulled something out of the top drawer to save at least one of them.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
In Estupian’s defence for their 3rd it doesn’t show a bit of wrestling before the free kick was taken that he lost out on hence he lost his man. He was just off balance as it was taken and never recovered.

Not sure about Steele’s position for the 3rd, it’s a delivery from a deep diagonal position, if anything I wondered if our line was just a bit too high? Think we were worried about their aerial threat so battled to keep too high a line hence it wasn’t headed. Whether you conclude Steele could have been further forward or our line a bit deeper, the gap between the two meant that ball could drop to be tapped in. We left a lot of space to aim that ball.

For me all 3 goals have more defensive errors than they do any goalkeeping ones.
Yes - I don’t blame him at all for the first two, and having rewatched the third, I think I probably agree with yourself and @Farehamseagull in that Steele didn’t have much chance. I was looking at where the scorer actually made contact with the ball which was ?4 yards out….

Re Estupinan, he has to do better and be stronger, but it wasn’t just him, it was Colwill as well. Neither are touch tight, both are slow to react, and again there are 3 yards between them, which defensively is a big hole on a set piece, and enough for the scorer to run straight through.

Every Brentford goal was poor defending.

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
If I’m a striker through on goal I would be more confident scoring against Jason than I would Bob. Just a matter of time before Bob comes back in and I hope he is in goal at Wembley. Bob has a lot more presence.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I can only presume those wanting Sanchez back after yesterday weren’t at the game and are basing it on us conceding three.

Nothing Steele could do about any goal which were caused by sloppy marking and defending and us switching off from our own throw.

Meanwhile, Steele got a Premier League assist
It looked to me like a terrible throw from Veltman straight to an Albion player who had three Brentford players around him. Very poor decision making.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I felt like all three attempts were those of an average keeper. The first was almost right at him, albeit at pace. Second was also hit hard, but again very close to him. Not sure I agree that "no keeper in the world saves those"
Not sure from 2 yards away from him you can term pace of the ball as an albeit. To my mind those aren’t saved, the keeper is just fortunate if it hits them. The second it’s probably more saveable had the ball been less close to him. Good strikers finish in that regard, there is always that zone that is under the keeper’s dive that is harder than going full stretch - 1 on 1 for example many will go close to the keeper around or through their legs because it gives them less chance than an outstretched dive.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Laughable that anyone thinks Bob would have done better than Steele for any of those goals today and they were all down to shocking defending. I think anyone thinking/hoping that Bob is getting back between the sticks for a league game this season is going to be disappointed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Laughable that anyone thinks Bob would have done better than Steele for any of those goals today and they were all down to shocking defending. I think anyone thinking/hoping that Bob is getting back between the sticks for a league game this season is going to be disappointed.
Confidence plays a large part in football. Dunk and co. always appeared to have great faith in Sanchez - perhaps thay don't have the same confidence with Steele behind them, and flap a bit as a result.
If RDZ's decisions do lead to Sanchez wanting away and leaving the Albion in the summer, that will be far and away the biggest - and riskiest - that he has made.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Nothing Steele could’ve done about any of the goals, he got a gorgeous assist - had an excellent game. Conceding three goals never looks good, but so did their keeper and everyone is raving about him.

Steele has earned the shirt after putting in great work behind the scenes for years by all accounts, and is a PL number one on merit.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This,

Sanchez is a better shot stopper (apart from penalties bizarrely!)

He’s equally as good with his feet

It’s his box management on crosses which has been the issue, he often came out too far and tried to command the ball over too many players when it would have been better to stay on the line and at least have a keeper face the secondary shot rather than be on the floor by the penalty spot!
Can't agree with that last bit. The sight of Big Bob coming out a soaring imperiously to claim a high centre is some of the best things I've ever seen from a Brighton GK.
On his first loan at Forest Green, he started well, but became over-confident - his eyes saw centres he could catch that his arms couldn't reach, so it was back to Brighton for more work with Ben Roberts. Like every goalkeeper that's ever existed, there will be times when he comes for something and doesn't manage to collect it, but his judgement is as good as anyone's. Nothng against Steele, who's deserved a chance and has done OK, but I would still prefer Sanchez as my no.1.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Can't agree with that last bit. The sight of Big Bob coming out a soaring imperiously to claim a high centre is some of the best things I've ever seen from a Brighton GK.
On his first loan at Forest Green, he started well, but became over-confident - his eyes saw centres he could catch that his arms couldn't reach, so it was back to Brighton for more work with Ben Roberts. Like every goalkeeper that's ever existed, there will be times when he comes for something and doesn't manage to collect it, but his judgement is as good as anyone's. Nothng against Steele, who's deserved a chance and has done OK, but I would still prefer Sanchez as my no.1.

Yeah, deciding when it’s right to do and not right to ie management.

He’s very capable of commanding the box as we saw last season and parts this season as well. However he’s also prone to getting it wrong, particularly on corners when he comes to collect near post and misjudges.

My personal preference would be to have him in goal though based on overall attributes

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Going to win us the FA Cup and then leave ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
For the third Steele was a couple of yards off his line as the kick was taken - then moved back. The ball hit the ground in the six yard box. That is "keepers ball" at almost every level of football. It was a straight forward take for a top keeper - had he gone for it. It doesn't make him a bad keeper - but the defence want to know their keeper is collecting those.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For the third Steele was a couple of yards off his line as the kick was taken - then moved back. The ball hit the ground in the six yard box. That is "keepers ball" at almost every level of football. It was a straight forward take for a top keeper - had he gone for it. It doesn't make him a bad keeper - but the defence want to know their keeper is collecting those.

My initial thought our line was a bit high. We gave them a big target area between keeper and our line. In trying to keep a high line, you can see the scorer is already ahead of Estupinan and Colwill.
Goal01.png

Lowish flight of the ball, at this point the keeper makes their decision. I would say at this point you're thinking your clattering into that group of players and trying to claim a really difficult take.
Goal02.png

Ball is still too high for a keeper to take but not far off, if Colwill had started a yard deeper, he'd have a free header to clear as it drops. Had Steele chosen to take it, he'd be clattering into Dunk and that group of players.
Goal03.png

Finally, the ball doesn't ever touch the ground - Pinnock volleys it thigh high just on the edge of the 6 yard box level with the far post, no one near him. This for me is one of those goals where sometimes the ball goes in directly from the free kick as the keeper can't risk it. Any criticism of the keeper has to include our defensive line, our marking etc. We have 5 marking 3 at the front post, 2 on 2 at the far.
Goal04.png

Attachments

• Goal02.png
    Goal02.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Goal03.png
    Goal03.png
    981.4 KB · Views: 30

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Against Palace Sanchez “claimed” a similar one and, well, erm….

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Lowish flight of the ball, at this point the keeper makes their decision. I would say at this point you're thinking your clattering into that group of players and trying to claim a really difficult take.

Ball is still too high for a keeper to take but not far off, if Colwill had started a yard deeper, he'd have a free header to clear as it drops. Had Steele chosen to take it, he'd be clattering into Dunk and that group of players.
Cheers for that analysis - I can see why there is doubt. But as a defender you'll take a clattering if it prevents a goal. And the defenders should have done better - but for me that's keepers ball. Big shout and catch. Command your six-yard box. And if it is difficult ....... well it's difficult. That's why you are at a big club.

Steele made a few questionable decisions during the game and it did occur to us at the time that his brain might be a little fried. Personally, I'd bring Sanchez back tonight. But I can also see why RDZ would stick with Steele.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Yes - I don’t blame him at all for the first two, and having rewatched the third, I think I probably agree with yourself and @Farehamseagull in that Steele didn’t have much chance. I was looking at where the scorer actually made contact with the ball which was ?4 yards out….

Re Estupinan, he has to do better and be stronger, but it wasn’t just him, it was Colwill as well. Neither are touch tight, both are slow to react, and again there are 3 yards between them, which defensively is a big hole on a set piece, and enough for the scorer to run straight through.

Every Brentford goal was poor defending.
Brentford are the most aggressive side seen at the Amex for years. Not their tackling but their physicality in attacking the opposition goal. When they attacked there were often nine or ten of their team in our half. And their set pieces are the same, very quick and direct movements towards the goal with impressive timing. We’re not a ‘slow’ team to defend but we were (at times) overwhelmed by their massed ranks. Don’t think jet-lag helped our lads either. Steele did ok. Thomas Frank has got a very good system going there.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If we are looking at a new keeper for next season and rumours are that Caoimhín Kelleher wants to leave Liverpool are true then we should certainly be looking at him. He's going to cost a large chunk of cash though as he's still got 3 years on his contract there, but I've always been very impressed whenever I've seen him play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here