Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our Club. Let's be Heard

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
That says a lot about the majority of posters on here, except of course for those that know everything.

There's no-one here that knows everything. A few that think they do, but no-one that does.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This is a forum for opinons IMHO we need somebody to assist SH with that type of experience hence my suggestion of Lennie Lawerence, Alan Curbishley or Alan Mullery who is already employed by the club and has been quoted as saying SH needs to be given time. Let him prove his words.

Lennie Lawrence will be 67 in December, Curbishley hasn't been in management at all since 2008, Mullery is 72 and the last role in management he had was over 20 years ago in Malaysia and his current role in the club is as ambassador. Each one of these appointments would say to the impartial observer that Brighton are employing over the hill yesterday's men to assist a novice manager because they (club and manager) haven't a clue what to do.

I suspect you mention specifically these men because this is your frame of reference. The game's moved on dramatically even since Curbishley left the scene.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Curbishley was at Fulham last season, director of football? Lennie Lawrrence was at Bolton until a couple of weeks ago. With age you do not lose your knowledge and the ability to see what is wrong. If that is so why did The Argus make a thing about AM saying SH needs to be given more time. his view is irrelevant on your reasoning.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Curbishley was at Fulham last season, director of football? and with age you do not lose knowledge.

Appointed technical director in Dec 2013, sacked in Feb 2014. Getting an over the hill assistant manager in is just papering over the cracks. That's not a way to plan for the future. We've been a couple of games away from the Premiership the last two seasons. I'd rather a novice manager learns his trade somewhere else and then comes to us. The future is far too important to piss around trying to team up Hyypia and Mullery and hope it works.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Totally agree. How many new managers go solo into a club? all seem to have an entourage right down to the goalkeeping couch.Everybody needs someone who they trust to point out the errors, the proverbial shoulder to cry on. I thank god it wasn't Sammy Lee but it needs sorting and fast.

I know Stockdale has taken a few games to settle but a COUCH to replace him? Good if the striker kicks the ball straight and low to the centre but useless on chips and swervers to the top corners.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Buzzer;6634393 The future is far too important to piss around trying to team up Hyypia and Mullery and hope it works.[/QUOTE said:
Our immediate fuiture is survival this season and then regroup in the summer. I do not think relegation will be an issue but we cannot be complacent and anything that helps to change it around must be looked at.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Because Felix didnt want to work with a technical director and possibly paid the price recently.

I don't want someone learning their trade and making inevitable mistakes at the Albion. Get it wrong and we're in League One. As I said above, far too big a risk to be pissing about with oddball partnerships like it's some Hollywood cop movie.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There's a lot of sense here and you're expressing the thoughts of a great many, I'm sure.The only thing I can't agree with is the manager. He and his sidekick have shown little or no idea of how to improve things on the pitch and should go.

This. Why is the OP's suggestion better than just appointing an experienced manager? Why is David Burke, the Head of Recruitment, not responsible for the shambles that was our summer of player acquisition? Nathan Jones was 3rd choice at best for the Assistant Manager's job. He should have been shown the door when Oscar left.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
SH had a time in Germany so not a complete novice learning the ropes and an experienced man might open his eyes to other options like changing the formation that he is set on or getting the best from our strikers unless of course TB is going to buy 3 or 4 players in January.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
The ONLY action that will make a real difference to those responsible for running the club is not to turn up. The chance of this not being very high up on the agenda of every person with any commercial responsibility at the club is nil to feck all. Season ticket revenues may be essentially safe for the season but reduced attendances meaning less income on match days from food, booze and merchandise will have an impact if sustained. Then you have the spectre of a large drop in season ticket renewals next season, especially if the worst was to happen and we were relegated.

If you think anyone with a real say in the club on a day to day basis is not acutely aware of the connection between success on the pitch and the commercial success of the club as business then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. Everyone knows this is a results business but panic decisions are not the answer.

Not turning up though is simply counter productive. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I understand the argument of why pay lots of money to watch a team not perform but if a large number of people choose to depart then we will continue to struggle to maintain a place in the Championship. I would say keep supporting our team, put some trust in the club to know that results need to come and that snap decisions by any of us be it fan, player, coaching staff or commercial management, will be counter productive. Our choices need to be based on time and quantifiable information.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
A fine opportunity who those who want to be heard coming up soon...

Brighton & Hove Albion chairman Tony Bloom will appear at the next Seagulls Over London meeting during the international break.
The meeting will be held on Thursday 13th November at a new venue, in the meeting room at The Priory Arms public house, commencing at 7.30pm.
The pub is located ten minutes' walk from Stockwell Station. On coming out of the station, turn left and walk down Binfield Street. The pub is located at the junction of Lansdowne Way and Priory Grove.
Seagulls Over London is a London based Albion supporters' club, aimed at those working or living in the capital. It has been holding meetings of interest to all Albion fans for more than 20 years.
Membership costs £5 annually, and anyone wishing to join should make sure they have a membership form before leaving on the night.
All meetings during the season are open to members and non-members alike.

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/bloom-set-for-london-qa-2045277.aspx

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
With age you do not lose your knowledge and the ability to see what is wrong

Well, not unless it involves parking or speeding, one assumes.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Curbishley hasn't been in management at all since 2008

834c25cc02aad75bd293a42adbb219af.jpg

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
With age you do not lose your knowledge and the ability to see what is wrong.

Sure? I'll ask my dementia riddled grandfather that when I next see him.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
SH had a time in Germany so not a complete novice learning the ropes and an experienced man might open his eyes to other options like changing the formation that he is set on or getting the best from our strikers unless of course TB is going to buy 3 or 4 players in January.

And if it doesn't work? What if Sami and Alan don't get on? What if they have diametrically opposing views on what needs to be done? Whose view holds sway? And what message does that send to Sami? "Sorry mate we don't trust you to do your job properly. The job's too big for you". He's got no history or latent loyalty to us, quite rightly so he could just bugger off at any time if we sack NJ and appoint some old fart to hold Sami's hand. It also smacks of continual Board meddling in the management side of things. It will come back to bite us on the bum in the future when trying to recruit potential new managers who will think that the club are always one step away from interfering with their job by parachuting an OAP.

Far, far too risky. Far too many ifs and buts for a Championship side with Premiership aspirations even to consider that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well, not unless it involves parking or speeding, one assumes.
Done for speeding once in the last 25 years so not bad but as regards parking I will hold my hands up and say yes I push the limits then look for a loophole to get out of a PCN and on most occassions find one. If that makes me an ogre or unsociable so be it. Incidentally my wife goes on at me about parking saying I think I am a law unto myself, and she is right but I wont change now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here