Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our Club. Let's be Heard

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Finally, I want to stop hearing that we should take a look at where we have come from. Time has moved on, we are not the club with no ground anymore. Our expectations have changed and we are getting the crowds to generate a genuine push for the top flight.

Amen to that.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
What are you on about? Not only do you have none or very little knowledge of football but you cannot understand basic English.

Liverpool had under Shankly to Dalgleish etc a back room of staff that had been with them for many years and grew up with the club and the changing team of which Joe Fagan was probably one of the best known. They probably still have many who nobody other than ex players would have heard of and that is who I am saying SH may prefer, somebody he knows and has worked with rather than just bringing somebody in who he doesnt know.

If Liverpool have built this fantastic backroom team, yet nobody has heard of them, why would they let them leave? The Albion did not bring in somebody that SH didn't know, NJ was already here. Was this fabulous backroom team at Liverpool built in a day? Maybe we should just start with Mullery and go from there...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Liverpool have built this fantastic backroom team, yet nobody has heard of them, why would they let them leave? The Albion did not bring in somebody that SH didn't know, NJ was already here. Was this fabulous backroom team at Liverpool built in a day? Maybe we should just start with Mullery and go from there...

I wouldnt argue with that but many say AM is too old, I dont agree because you cannot buy experience. As I have said I dont know, and neither does anybody else, the good or bad points of NJ but it appears to me that SH and Oscar before him, didnt have any choice but to take him on as no 2 in the same way that AM was told to take Barry LLoyd 2nd time around. I could be totally wrong and SH is happy with NJ in which case they jointly take the blame for our poor results.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
As I posted on another thread I agree that the biggest problem appears to be the No 2. None of us really know what NJ input is

Just have a think about that sentence for a moment.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I have spoken up for the club during the transfer window, as there were some people coming on here, who frankly did not have a clue about how a club likes us runs, with FFP regulations, budget etc etc and like others when window was completed (I did not rant about lack of activity as I was sure things were happening behind the scenes, and they were !), and I was quite happy with the players we brought in and sort of OK that we got good money for Buckley and Ulloh, however I was unhappy with the stance and PR of the club during this time and wrote to Paul Barber stating that. I received 3 mails back in total, all ignoring my observation re PR, but stating about how well the club is doing etc etc, which is what I do not doubt and have no issues with Bloom or Barber, we are, I believe in very safe hands.

Yes it is our club, I agree, but we have to trust these people to put us on the right track, both on and off the field and I can assure you that one goes hand in hand with the other. If we were doing well on the pitch, we would not have the general gripes that have been emulating from here and other routes, so the way to get sorted is in the pitch and the other stuff seems to follow.

On the pitch, I was not too worried until the last week, where we played 2 very average teams and could have lost both, due to the fact we are playing the wrong formation, with the players we have. We do have the right full backs (maybe Bennett) to play that wing back role, nor do we have an creative midfielder (well maybe McCourt) to suit that style. I think we can all see that, so if we get that sorted, think we will be ok.

I was not one for getting rid of Sammi, but was worried about his statement about McCourt need to learn how to defend ?, does that mean that JFC needs to learn how to attack ?, Stockdale needs to improve his heading ?, Greer needs to improve his left wing dribbling skills ?, the game and team is about different skills, 10 Ronaldo's would not work, nor would 10 Dunk's, we need a blend of skills, and the right players and formation and then we will be OK. Simple this Management game?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was not one for getting rid of Sammi, but was worried about his statement about McCourt need to learn how to defend ?, does that mean that JFC needs to learn how to attack ?, Stockdale needs to improve his heading ?, Greer needs to improve his left wing dribbling skills ?, the game and team is about different skills, 10 Ronaldo's would not work, nor would 10 Dunk's, we need a blend of skills, and the right players and formation and then we will be OK. Simple this Management game?

True. And he is not a callow youth.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Just have a think about that sentence for a moment.
Golfing with mates yesterday and they were claiming it is NJ's fault as well. I really have no idea what he does, so I cannot pass comment on NJ.

With regard SH, either he doesn't know what he is doing (with the quality of players at his disposal) or the players cannot do what he wants (as they are not good enough) or worse, they don't understand what he wants. Whichever it is, we are in dire trouble.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Golfing with mates yesterday and they were claiming it is NJ's fault as well. I really have no idea what he does, so I cannot pass comment on NJ.

With regard SH, either he doesn't know what he is doing (with the quality of players at his disposal) or the players cannot do what he wants (as they are not good enough) or worse, they don't understand what he wants. Whichever it is, we are in dire trouble.

Everyone seems to agree they don't know what NJ does, so how the hell can they claim it is his fault?

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Good shout BobbySmith. I agree, until recently it seemed fixable, but what Sami wants or thinks the players should do doesn't seem to fit with their natural roles or what the fans believe are the right tactics. Perhaps this is why he's alluding to changes in January, which is fair enough, but some of those players have come in on his watch.

It's probably not realistic to expect Sami would get all he wants in January either. He's either a brave visionary, or he's still learning too much and it's going to be bumpy until the spring. To be balanced, luck hasn't helped. CMS even fit doesn't score, the Baldock experiment is another CMS and O'Grady for me looks out of place. It feels like we are caught somewhere between the Latin influence of the past two seasons and something else that hasn't quite been born yet.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Good shout BobbySmith. I agree, until recently it seemed fixable, but what Sami wants or thinks the players should do doesn't seem to fit with their natural roles or what the fans believe are the right tactics. Perhaps this is why he's alluding to changes in January, which is fair enough, but some of those players have come in on his watch.

It's probably not realistic to expect Sami would get all he wants in January either. He's either a brave visionary, or he's still learning too much and it's going to be bumpy until the spring. To be balanced, luck hasn't helped. CMS even fit doesn't score, the Baldock experiment is another CMS and O'Grady for me looks out of place. It feels like we are caught somewhere between the Latin influence of the past two seasons and something else that hasn't quite been born yet.

From what I've seen of O'Grady I would have to agree BUT he scored 15 last season for a team which were relegated. We haven't had a striker score 15 in the league since we got promoted. So that leads me to think its us & not him, I'm struggling to think of many, if any, absolute sitters he's missed. Perhaps we've bought a striker who just doesn't suit our style of play, again.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Thanks for the clarification. I think I'm starting to grasp it now. You want someone from Liverpool who is NOT dead, unlike Fagan, and who actually WAS there when Sami was, unlike Fagan, that is still there in the background 5 years after Sami left, that nobody has heard of, to become our new assistant manager?

Don't forget.... they are a dedicated Liverpool man, been there man and boy, but perfectly willing to switch that life long allegiance to a different club at the other end of the country.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I have spoken up for the club during the transfer window, as there were some people coming on here, who frankly did not have a clue about how a club likes us runs, with FFP regulations, budget etc etc and like others when window was completed (I did not rant about lack of activity as I was sure things were happening behind the scenes, and they were !), and I was quite happy with the players we brought in and sort of OK that we got good money for Buckley and Ulloh, however I was unhappy with the stance and PR of the club during this time and wrote to Paul Barber stating that. I received 3 mails back in total, all ignoring my observation re PR, but stating about how well the club is doing etc etc, which is what I do not doubt and have no issues with Bloom or Barber, we are, I believe in very safe hands.

Yes it is our club, I agree, but we have to trust these people to put us on the right track, both on and off the field and I can assure you that one goes hand in hand with the other. If we were doing well on the pitch, we would not have the general gripes that have been emulating from here and other routes, so the way to get sorted is in the pitch and the other stuff seems to follow.

On the pitch, I was not too worried until the last week, where we played 2 very average teams and could have lost both, due to the fact we are playing the wrong formation, with the players we have. We do have the right full backs (maybe Bennett) to play that wing back role, nor do we have an creative midfielder (well maybe McCourt) to suit that style. I think we can all see that, so if we get that sorted, think we will be ok.

Ooo... 10 Dunks... there's a team I would be behind.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I could be totally wrong and SH is happy with NJ in which case they jointly take the blame for our poor results.

So, if Sami isn't happy with NJ then all the 'blame' sits on the shoulders of our assistant manager?

I really don't get the logic behind that thinking, especially when none of us have a clue what he does on a day to day basis, how he does it, or how effective he is when he's doing it!

Regardless of that, how much influence do you think NJ has? I know there are conspiracy theories around that he's really pulling the strings but if that was genuinely the case why wouldn't he have just been made manager and be done with it?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
As I posted on another thread I agree that the biggest problem appears to be the No 2. None of us really know what NJ input is to SH and whether or not he is a better coach than no 2. Should we bring in an experienced man like Lennie Lawrernce or Alan Curbishley or should we get an old Hyppia team mate in to help like Jamie Carragher and put Mullery in as an advisor. The ball really is in TB court as to what he wants and what we can afford.
Lennie Lawrence seems a good fit to me as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here