Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our best and worst signings over the last four years.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Its really not all about winning, there are times when the results are secondary, i will never forget the moments of sheer brilliance Vicci gave us. The evening of the Derby match was one of those times the first thing i did on getting home from the game was to renew my season ticket.What a player he was and i still feel privileged to have witnessed the great man at work just a shame it wasn't to last.

Is it not all about the result?

I've renewed my st for years before Vicente even considered coming here, never has an individual player "made" me renew.

As good as his derby performance was I could most probably show you half a dozen other appearances where he was a passenger and offered nothing.

I haven't said he's a bad player, I replied to the thread title regarding best/worst signings.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Best - Bridge (still had immense pace, near perfect in defence, brilliant in attack)

Worst - Obika (Why, and why still on Spurs's books at that age, as he seemed clueless. The only time everyone on NSC agreed about a player!)

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Vicente - without a shadow of a doubt
Worst - a toughie, but I would say Agustien (sorry about spelling, spelling police)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Best - Bridge (still had immense pace, near perfect in defence, brilliant in attack)

Worst - Obika (Why, and why still on Spurs's books at that age, as he seemed clueless. The only time everyone on NSC agreed about a player!)

Bridge disappeared in the play-off game against Palace though for the first goal.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Best 2 by a distance... Vicente and Waynikins
Worst 2 by even further.... Harley & Remy (would loved to be proved wrong by him... he looks the bizz, but!!!)

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Worst, you'd have to look at CMS. Lovely bloke, decent player but we paid well over the odds and ultimately cocked up. Sounds like we got our money back on Dobbie, but Hoskins too was a shocker for slightly different reasons.

Best? The now departed Upson for me. A season and a half of absolute top quality defending on a freebie.
Also...Ulloa. If he hadn't broken his foot this season he'd have probably got 25 goals despite little service. Our only genuine goal threat. Class act.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Worst, you'd have to look at CMS. Lovely bloke, decent player but we paid well over the odds and ultimately cocked up. Sounds like we got our money back on Dobbie, but Hoskins too was a shocker for slightly different reasons.

Best? The now departed Upson for me. A season and a half of absolute top quality defending on a freebie.
Also...Ulloa. If he hadn't broken his foot this season he'd have probably got 25 goals despite little service. Our only genuine goal threat. Class act.

Agree with you about CMS totally. Another incredible bit of business by Darragh MacAnthony, getting that kind of money for League 1 striker who'd had a modest return in his previous one and only Championship season for P'boro. As well as being a decent bloke, he gives his all on the pitch, which also explains his popularity with most fans, but the fee should have been a fraction of that.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Best 2 by a distance... Vicente and WaynikinsWorst 2 by even further.... Harley & Remy (would loved to be proved wrong by him... he looks the bizz, but!!!)
When did we sign Loic Remy?!?!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Worst, you'd have to look at CMS. Lovely bloke, decent player but we paid well over the odds and ultimately cocked up.

CMS has had a mixed 3 seasons to say the least but worst signing out of the 40 or so players who've joined since 2010 ?? His goals in the first half of the season contributed to us making the play offs in 2012/13, his cross got us into the play off for 2013/14. And players get injured. Not his fault.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Best: Upson

Worst: As above, I cannot for the life of me see how it cannot be Obika, movement appalling, finishing shocking, first touch abysmal

Harley - Great goal vs Peterboro
Vicente - why has he even been mentioned.
Paynter - close to Obika, but he could put one foot in front of the other
Assulin - Bit lightweight, but some great cameo's, Ipswich home
Agustein - Played well at Birmingham (A), but then just got lazier.......

All based on players at The Amex, we've had some absolute rubbish at The Goldstone, priestfield and Withdean, as well of course, but Obika would probably give most of those 'a good run' in terms of pure lack of ability as well.

All opinions of course. :albion2:

owen_gibb1989

Nov 6, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GJRBxQ3kII

Probably shouldn't have watched this somewhere I don't have access to a change or underwear!!

But seriously what we would give to have that sort of player in behind our centre forward, might actually create something once in a while!! For me he was the best signing just for the sheer excitement he brought to the place on a Saturday wldnt mind some of that back.

As for the worst if we count loans Billy Paynter takes it hands down, as for permanent I would go with Harley slow and lazy is not a winning combo as it turns out!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Best - Buckley, for scoring those two goals against Doncaster.
Worst - Hoskins. Looked so promising (that goal against Cardiff was brilliant) but injuries have caused him to barely play. And when he is finally fit again he's released which is a shame.

Buckley the best?, for me he is one of the worst!. Yes he scored those two goals against Doncaster, but for a player who cost us a seven figure fee, what else has he done? Flashes of brilliance yes, but he has shown no consistency whatsoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here