Other Brighton Institutions Sadly No More

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
How about O'HAGANS on the seafront alongside Middle Street.

Oh! My mouth is watering at the thought of those delicious hot dogs with the onions.

They used to taste even better after BRIGHTON TIGERS had thrashed a team like Wembley Lions or Paisley Pirates. Will we ever see ice hockey again in Brighton?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Sherrys (disco/dance hall)
Moth Records (near Churchill Square)
Eva Petulengro's booth
The What the Butler saw machines

all now gone ... but not forgotten

D

Deleted User X18H

Do any of you oldies remember the York Cafe in Beaconsfield Road

capone

Feb 7, 2004
Brighton
The Big Apple (anyone else see the Stones there with The Groundhogs, and Status Quo supporting TRex)?
The Hippodrome, the Curzon, Embassy, The Regent and Astoria cinemas.
And how about The Cottage cafe in Ship Street? That was some juke box.
The Cellar Bar, Shades, The Alhambra. Jo Lyons cafe in North Street.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
hove born&bred said:
Oriana's 'wonderful wonderful orianas salty old girl by the sea' I met two previous commonlaw wives down there and some really nice ladies its still there you know myself and the current Mrs HB&B often talk about our dream of opening it back up 'Hove Born and Breds ORIANA'S FOR Brighton and Hove conurbationists only ' No trainers .

LOL, whenever 1 of my mates & myself go out and get lagered we quite often hatch a masterplan to reopen Orianas should we win the Lottery - it goes on for hours!!

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Anybody remember the tailor Sammy Gordon up Trafalgar Street? Cromby anyone? He used to be best of mates with Ben Sherman. :nono:

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
mrhairy said:
Anybody remember the tailor Sammy Gordon up Trafalgar Street? Cromby anyone? He used to be best of mates with Ben Sherman. :nono:

Had my first tailor made suit from there. Powder blue, draped jacket and with drain pipe trousers. Didn't that suit used to rock?!?

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Andrew Cooper the miserable barber, in all of his President-Eisenhower-hair-trimming-ness, had plenty of good tales to tell. . .

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
mrhairy said:

Right by the bus stop. Was there until just a few years ago I think. Always used to advertise on the front of the Argus.

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
BUTTERBALL said:
Right by the bus stop. Was there until just a few years ago I think. Always used to advertise on the front of the Argus.

You're thinking of the one in North Street?

The original shop was in Trafalgar Street. If you just stopped to breathe outside the shop Sammy would have you inside in a flash and your inside leg measurement was written down before you knew what had happened.

Jerry the geezer with the huge sideburns down in the basement of some record shop.....'Sounds Unlimited' or summat. Always wore Ruperts or Oxford Bags.

The Cottage record shop across from The Dome.

The Aquarium.

The Top Rank Ice Rink. Used to sneak in the door by the seafront by finding the crack in the mosaic of tiles and prising it open. Loads of birds used to crowd the middle of the ice to avoid the flash harrys trying to go as fast as they could then screeching to a stop to spray ice shavings everywhere.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Sammy was up Trafalgar Street and Jerry was King Jerry who still does the Motown Nights at Hove Town Hall. Looks older but basically still the same. He was originally a mod.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lord Bracknell said:

Who remembers when there were at least a dozen butchers shops in Sydney Street? None of them had refrigeration, so the meat was practically given away at 5pm on a Saturday.

My uncle was one of those butchers and from 4.30 onwards used to stand at the doorway with a bell shouting out how much the meat was to get rid of it on a Saturday.

Brighton Tigers, the best ice hockey team in the land.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dover said:
Coopers for Cutting. I never dared to go in, but I know Krispies got scalped.
I went there! Only once when I first started working in the Open Market area (about May 2000). It smelt badly of wee but it was only £1.20 for a #2. There were hand-written signs up telling people not to complain about waiting. I didn't go again, not because of the surroundings but because he was a bit of a reactionary throwback. A mate of mine was in there once and somebody tried to get wheelchair in. "Get out!", he said "I don't want no cripples in here, the chairs ruin the floor!"

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Lord Bracknell said:
Just watch as the cheap tat shops in the North Laine disappear completely, to be replaced by fancy furniture emporiums. How long before they start chasing the on-street jewellery tables away?

Better bloody not :angry: The North Lanes are quality.

D

Deleted User X18H

Butterball, do you mean the Shahi was the Beacon cafe or was on the other side of the road on the corner by ditchling rise.

Lush

Mods' Pet
BUTTERBALL said:
The Sunblest Bakery Woodingdean (and lorry stranded after heavy snowfall in 1979)

Woodingdean_bakery_s.jpg

Should probably add "heavy snowfall in Brighton" to the list...

Louis Tussauds with the guy with the swinging axe over his head - back and forth, back and forth.

The Reject Shop on East Street. Huge Debenhams & Boots on Western Road. Virgin Records - I think where the club shop now is. Alhambra, Buccaneer, Top Rank Suite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports