Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Other Brighton Institutions Sadly No More

You ain't seen nothing yet ...

Just watch as the cheap tat shops in the North Laine disappear completely, to be replaced by fancy furniture emporiums. How long before they start chasing the on-street jewellery tables away?

I walked down Robert Street the other day, past the old Argus premises. It's all loft apartments and residents' parking bays.

Who remembers when there were at least a dozen butchers shops in Sydney Street? None of them had refrigeration, so the meat was practically given away at 5pm on a Saturday.

Last edited:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Yesterdays Bakery in Gloucester Road just round from the old Argus building. Used to sell break baked the day before unsold at places like Forfars for about 5p a loaf. On a Saturday morning, there was a queue from its door right round into Sydney Street.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Beano pies in St James' Street.:p

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Shades, Pickwick in East Street, Henekeys in Ship Street, Sussex (still there), Druids Head (still there), Deryck Carver in Meeting House Lane, Sea House in Middle Street, Queen Anne (downstairs) in West Street, Sherry's (Middle Street entrance), then Gogi's (West Street) for a pizza, then walk home!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Marks & Spencer in London Road; The Cox's pill factory in Lewes Road along with Lewes Road Sawmills and the Newmarket Diner.

The level pre-hurricane with trees, Uncle Sams in London Road and West Street, The Full Moon Pub Boyces Street, Naysmiths Wine Bar Queens Road, The Open Market in it's prime, the 'Old' Churchill Square with the Solarium cafe.......

The list is endless. Where are they now?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The Sunblest Bakery Woodingdean (and lorry stranded after heavy snowfall in 1979)

Woodingdean_bakery_s.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sherry and Coasters - happiest days of my life they were.

Under my thumb that Rory used to play and that Jo-Boxers track, anyone remember that.

D

Deleted User X18H

chez said:
The Pink Coconut. Creation just isnt the same. Oh and Oriana's.
Oriana's 'wonderful wonderful orianas salty old girl by the sea' I met two previous commonlaw wives down there and some really nice ladies its still there you know myself and the current Mrs HB&B often talk about our dream of opening it back up 'Hove Born and Breds ORIANA'S FOR Brighton and Hove conurbationists only ' No trainers .

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Mr Rosen bailed out about a year ago. I remember hearing one half a very bizarre-sounding conversation between a colleague and him, then his wife, then him, then his wife again, as they first invited publicity about their years of dedication Brighton's sartorial needs. . . then turned scarily aggressive. . . then cheerily invited publicity again. . . then turned. . . etc etc. . . You get the picture. . . Yet all in the space of probably, say, five minutes maximum. . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here