Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT speed awareness course

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Safe driving course? Several hours of being patronised, lots of boring videos. I went on one a couple of years ago (34 in a 30, for heaven's sake!) and a month later I bumped at low speed into the car in front of me on a roundabout - my first blemish in 44 years of driving - so if you ask me, I think they're useless!

Incidentally, one thing we were told that may be of interest to some, was that there was no obligation to tell our insurance company; there was no conviction, no prosecution, and the charge has been withdrawn, therefore technically no offence that legally had to be reported to the insurance company. The insurance company's are just profiteering - as usual! After all, how many of you have been stopped by plod for a minor offence - having a defective rear light, for example? In my experience, so long as you don't get arsey with plod, they'll accept that you didn't know (or probably / possibly didn't know about it) and send you on your way after you've promised to get it fixed before undertaking any new journeys. Technically, yes, that could be a three-pointer if the police took it any further..........but is anybody seriously suggesting that should be reported to the insurance company too? I don't think so.....

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I have now completed said speed awareness course, of the 20 attending there were 2 women and SEVEN clocked by the average speed cameras on handcross hill!!!

It all boils down to attitude, being a responsible driver and looking further ahead than just the car in front.

We were told that when caught with the newest digital speed cameras, your letter can be being printed off within a few minutes of the offence! Also the technology has been developed to put a speed camera in a cats eye.

Does that mean I'll have to start shooting cats as well as cameras ??? :moo:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yep, did the speed awareness course up here about 4 weeks ago - some useful and very interesting facts - the presenter was hard work, but I did learn some stuff, and I'm far more speed aware in the 30 zones now - I was caught doing 72 in a 60 by a mobile van by the way.

Regarding, notification to insurers, responsibility on you. Why? All these IT systems are joined up these days - Insurance companies are linked to each other and the police have access, by reg number and driver name to instantly check for MOT & current insurance + license info. So why don't DVLA at Swansea simply notify your insurer for you, then, they get you with a premium hike but at least you don't end up paying less but effectively driving uninsured?

Lastly, these average speed camera systems are only used in road works areas at present. How far away are we from them being on a national grid basis with every bridge and gantry fitted with a camera so your speed is monitored everywhere you go. Surely this will bring speeding to an end - I can see so many folk losing their licenses as the culture change will take a generation or more to take effect - the roads would be a lot quieter .... or is this just a pipe dream for big brother?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Safe driving course? Several hours of being patronised, lots of boring videos. I went on one a couple of years ago (34 in a 30, for heaven's sake!) and a month later I bumped at low speed into the car in front of me on a roundabout - my first blemish in 44 years of driving - so if you ask me, I think they're useless!

Oh the irony...:moo:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I just gone done doing 36 in a 30 and have been offered one of these courses. Currently awaiting a confirmation of where and when I have to attend. Certainly won't be advising my Insurers I have been on it!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interestingly when I was 20, I got 6 points in a year, and it was only at 6 points my premium went up a bit. (£50)

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I just gone done doing 36 in a 30 and have been offered one of these courses. Currently awaiting a confirmation of where and when I have to attend. Certainly won't be advising my Insurers I have been on it!

I booked mine online and chose a venue and time to suit :)

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
They told us that unless you are insured with Admiral you wont have a problem at the moment, and that there are some other insurance companies that are considering it despite the vast majority being against it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here