OT speed awareness course

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
It's actually made me more speed aware. I'm not kidding it has. I thought it was well done, and I came away kind of glad I went on it. Some very interesting points made.

I think if you go there with a positive open mind and don't sit there with a scowling face like a teenager in detention, you'll take something from it.

I would certainly agree with this. It does make you think about your speed and implications for stopping distances/hazard awareness.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was on the news a couple of weeks ago that some insurers are putting premiums up for those who have been on speed awareness courses. Kind of removes the incentive doesn't it?

You can't blame the insurers, you have been caught speeding thereby showing you are a higher risk driver. Just because you have taken the course it does not make you innocent of the original offence and therefore, you have a duty to inform your insurer.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You can't blame the insurers, you have been caught speeding thereby showing you are a higher risk driver. Just because you have taken the course it does not make you innocent of the original offence and therefore, you have a duty to inform your insurer.

But as I say, where then is the incentive to pay MORE for the course than the fine and also incur the inconvenience of the thing? The police are not happy about this step from insurers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
But as I say, where then is the incentive to pay MORE for the course than the fine and also incur the inconvenience of the thing? The police are not happy about this step from insurers.

By doing the course you are accepting a kind of caution instead of a conviction.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I was actually just being silly. I feel ashamed :( I have been on one of these courses, and it wasn't for a driving offence, it was because mummy said I had to go on one before I was allowed to drive on the motorway :blush:

Ah, at least it shows she cares. :blush:

D

Deleted member 2719

I really did not learn a thing about this course apart from the fact that there were more women on the course than men.
As much as they will try and convince you that cameras save lives it really is only true of that in accident blackspots and silly speeds in silly places.
I have never ever had a point on my license in 30 years of driving and i have now had two 36 in 30 limits in two different locations by a mobile camera,the first i did not see a camera at all (i am quite a observant driver IMO) so probably hiding to get his bonus!
The second time three months later which i believe i was definitely not doing another 36 in a 30 and i will be fighting in court if necessary.

I believe the Sussex safer cameras are on a mission to f*ck over anyone for revenue not to make our roads safer as the second speeding offence there has never been a crash let alone a fatality at this location .

So to sum it up Speed awareness courses are full of blag and bolloxs.

Ps. I did go with a open mind.

I hope you get something from it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I really did not learn a thing about this course apart from the fact that there were more women on the course than men.
As much as they will try and convince you that cameras save lives it really is only true of that in accident blackspots and silly speeds in silly places.
I have never ever had a point on my license in 30 years of driving and i have now had two 36 in 30 limits in two different locations by a mobile camera,the first i did not see a camera at all (i am quite a observant driver IMO) so probably hiding to get his bonus!
The second time three months later which i believe i was definitely not doing another 36 in a 30 and i will be fighting in court if necessary.

I believe the Sussex safer cameras are on a mission to f*ck over anyone for revenue not to make our roads safer as the second speeding offence there has never been a crash let alone a fatality at this location .

Like not doing 36 in a 30 perhaps ???

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think so, Bell, Elephant, Diamond are 3 of there companies that i know of.

From Wikipedia
Admiral Group operates under a number of brands in the UK:
Admiral Insurance
'Bell' from Admiral (Exclusively Telematics Policys, Previously Bell Insurance)
Diamond Insurance (for female drivers)
Gladiator (for commercial vehicles)
elephant.co.uk
Confused.com

It also operates under a number of brands outside the UK:
Balumba and Rastreator (Spain)
ConTe (Italy)
LeLynx and L'Olivier (France)
Elephant Auto Insurance (United States)

Controversies
Speed awareness course-takers penalised
In November 2012 Admiral were criticised by the Police and the BBC for penalising vehicle drivers who had opted to take an educational course on speed awareness in place of receiving penalty points on their licence. Whilst the Police did not treat these courses as a conviction, Admiral group companies had chosen to treat in as a conviction and raise vehicle insurance premiums for these drivers by between £80 and £300.

From my experience with regards to their incompetent handling of what should have been a relatively simple claim which took about 4 years to finally resolve i will have nothing to do with insurance from that group anyway.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I think so, Bell, Elephant, Diamond are 3 of there companies that i know of.

From my experience with regards to their incompetent handling of what should have been a relatively simple claim which took about 4 years to finally resolve i will have nothing to do with insurance from that group anyway.

Appreciate you sentiments, unfortunately for younger drivers, ie my son & daughter they are significantly cheaper than any others, for my son £950 nearest to them was £1230 and daughter was £2000 against £2400. and seeing as Im paying its a saving of over £800 so i will have to live with them!

D

Deleted member 2719

Of course you weren't. :wink:

No seriously i wasn't i had just looked at my speedo as entering the 30.

Believe me they either hadn't calibrated or my speedo is way out or they are fiddling the figures, your guess is as good as mine but, i will go to court about it because they are wrong on this occasion and who knows how many others they are getting wrong.

Why have a mobile camera where there has never been a serious accident, they are there to beef up their bank accounts, make no mistake about that, f*ck saving lives my arse.
I had my best mate die in a car accident just 3.5miles away where others have had fatal accidents and no cameras to be seen there, they do piss me off with all the blag they come out with.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Having spent a fair amount of my working life dealing with the dead and injured from car wrecks and seeing the misery this brings very often upon the innocent victims of a speeding driver I am saddened but not really surprised to read the bravado on here about speeding, especially by serial offenders. Funny how it's never their fault - yet they were behind the wheel.

The only person to blame is the driver and only takes his/her own self discipline to drive a bit slower. After all the Police can't be everywhere and if you drive with reasonable care and attention the cameras are normally pretty obvious (even the mobile ones) so speaks volumes about the powers of observation of some drivers - if you didn't see the camera what else did you miss, even if you weren't speeding? What about the potential for that kiddie about to run out from behind the parked car? What about the oncoming motorcyclist as you emerge at a junction? OK it may not be an accident black spot but why be the punter who turns it into one, so no reason to be complacent. If you are going to take a chance by speeding what else are you happy to take a chance on - using a mobile phone or maybe driving a defective or uninsured vehicle?

Last week I overheard a youngish guy in a pub with what appeared to be his wife, young child and in-laws moaning that he had received a summonse to appear in Court and was saying 'I suppose I'll lose my licence and thats my job gone too'. To which one of them replied 'yes, and only 2 weeks after you did that awareness course'. Punter replied 'yeah a fat lot of good the course was....'. Clearly he had 'previous' and was aware that he could lose his job if caught again but still did it. He seemed to put more effort into moaning that he got caught rather than show any remorse. At the time I thought your young family should be really proud of you (not) having carelessly put his livelihood and their well being at risk. I guess he'll have a few years to reflect on that if only he had taken just a few seconds more to drive with more care and be a bit more observant.

D

Deleted member 18477

Warning - remember if you do ever get 3 points to inform your insurance company. A lady in my office in June of this year got done for speeding and paid the fine and had her driving licence updated accordingly. What she neglected to do was to inform her insurance company. In August she lost control on a bend near Arundel and wrote her car off. When she claimed for the insurance pay out they declined as it says in the small print that any driving offences must be informed to the insurance company at the time they occur or the policy becomes invalid. In a nut shell they refused to pay out and she lost out on £8k worth of a relatively new car.

I checked mine policy on the back of this and in tiny print on about the 5th page of my documents it says the same thing. Good job knowing as many insurance companies might try to wriggle out payment if not all records are up to date. Reminder to all - check your small print!

this. yea ok if you dont crash you might get away with it... but thats a really fickle way of thinking.

D

Deleted member 18477

why were you going 36 in a 30? were you in a rush?

speed limits piss me off more than a lot of things in this world. especially when twats go 40mph in 60's and then continue to go 40mph is 30's :lolol: usually old drivers or women i might add! but the thing that annoys me more is people speeding around towns (30mph zones). do you really want to hit someone? it could be by complete accident where they trip into the road but if you're going more than the speed limit you're f***ed!!!! that alone should be enough to slow people down... i certainly dont want that against me!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
speed limits piss me off more than a lot of things in this world. especially when twats go 40mph in 60's and then continue to go 40mph is 30's :lolol: usually old drivers or women i might add!

That sir, is a brilliant comment!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I have now completed said speed awareness course, of the 20 attending there were 2 women and SEVEN clocked by the average speed cameras on handcross hill!!!

It all boils down to attitude, being a responsible driver and looking further ahead than just the car in front.

We were told that when caught with the newest digital speed cameras, your letter can be being printed off within a few minutes of the offence! Also the technology has been developed to put a speed camera in a cats eye.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports