Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT speed awareness course

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I'm doing one of these at withers tomorrow for being a naughty boy, has anyone done one and if so what can I expect?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I did one, I was late so had to put my foot down to get there!

It's 4 hours of talks and video's of crashes etc. It's worth it for not getting more points, insurance going up etc. Mine was on a glorious sunny day and he we don't get many of thise, so was pissed off.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm doing one of these at withers tomorrow for being a naughty boy, has anyone done one and if so what can I expect?

It's actually made me more speed aware. I'm not kidding it has. I thought it was well done, and I came away kind of glad I went on it. Some very interesting points made.

I think if you go there with a positive open mind and don't sit there with a scowling face like a teenager in detention, you'll take something from it.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
It's actually made me more speed aware. I'm not kidding it has. I thought it was well done, and I came away kind of glad I went on it. Some very interesting points made.

I think if you go there with a positive open mind and don't sit there with a scowling face like a teenager in detention, you'll take something from it.

Will it stop my mrs prattling on in my ear, helping me to miss the bright yellow mobile van on the coast road :lol:

Keeping an open mind so I might well learn something :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've been on so many of these I could run the bloody thing.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Did this course also at the Withdean this year. As a driver of 45 years who thought he knew everything there was to know. I was surprised about different aspects of driving I did not know.This course has changed the way I drive, trying to stick to the various speed limits and being aware of all things around one.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's worth it for not getting more points, insurance going up etc.

It was on the news a couple of weeks ago that some insurers are putting premiums up for those who have been on speed awareness courses. Kind of removes the incentive doesn't it?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It was on the news a couple of weeks ago that some insurers are putting premiums up for those who have been on speed awareness courses. Kind of removes the incentive doesn't it?

You still don't get the points. So I think most would still rather not be 3 pts closer to a ban regardless of premiums.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
You still don't get the points. So I think most would still rather not be 3 pts closer to a ban regardless of premiums.
But kind of half defeats going on the course if your insurance is still going to go up ?

So by the time you have had the day off work and paid for the course many will now just take the points and pay more insurance ??

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But kind of half defeats going on the course if your insurance is still going to go up ?

So by the time you have had the day off work and paid for the course many will now just take the points and pay more insurance ??

I just figure most people would want to avoid points on their license. This could effect hiring a car, some jobs you might be going for etc. For half a day off, I suspect most will be glad to keep a clean license.

If you've already got points, do you really want to edge closer to the 12 and a ban? If you've got 6 already you certainly wouldn't want the jump to 9.

I've never had points on my license (21 years and counting...) and so took the course to keep it clean. I'd do that again regardless of whether my insurance is effected or not.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I just figure most people would want to avoid points on their license. This could effect hiring a car, some jobs you might be going for etc. For half a day off, I suspect most will be glad to keep a clean license.

If you've already got points, do you really want to edge closer to the 12 and a ban? If you've got 6 already you certainly wouldn't want the jump to 9.

I've never had points on my license (21 years and counting...) and so took the course to keep it clean. I'd do that again regardless of whether my insurance is effected or not.

My last 3 points only just came off so I'm only really doing the course to keep it that way. I drive a motability contract hire car so the insurance issue doesn't really come into play for me :)

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

You are still supposed to tell your insurers that you have been on a speed awareness course and premiums will increase as a result.
But most seemed to think because you have done it instead of having 3 points you don't need to.
If in the event of a claim they discover that you have not disclosed being on one it could jepody the claim for non disclosure.
Got this from Admiral insurance when I spoke to them at the weekend.

Chinster

Aug 7, 2011
I did the course last month and was surprised to find Richard Reynolds on the same table as me!!!!
The course was worthwhile though. There are some aspects of it that if you put into practice will make you a safer and better driver.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought they only allowed each individual to attend one of these instead of a speeding offence, or were yours due to accidents you were involved in?
I was actually just being silly. I feel ashamed :( I have been on one of these courses, and it wasn't for a driving offence, it was because mummy said I had to go on one before I was allowed to drive on the motorway :blush:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You are still supposed to tell your insurers that you have been on a speed awareness course and premiums will increase as a result.
But most seemed to think because you have done it instead of having 3 points you don't need to.
If in the event of a claim they discover that you have not disclosed being on one it could jepody the claim for non disclosure.
Got this from Admiral insurance when I spoke to them at the weekend.

Isn't Admiral basically the one insurer doing this at present?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
While doing an appeal for my daughter at Lewes County Hall around 18 months ago I thought I saw Nick Cave suited & booted on one I believe. Probably due to that slight altercation with a speed camera which was demolished? Obviously I may be wrong and if so I apoligise.
So you are in good company! :cool:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
While doing an appeal for my daughter at Lewes County Hall around 18 months ago I thought I saw Nick Cave suited & booted on one I believe. Probably due to that slight altercation with a speed camera which was demolished? Obviously I may be wrong and if so I apoligise.
So you are in good company! :cool:

You're wrong in that the speed camera he hit is now fully repaired and working again...

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Warning - remember if you do ever get 3 points to inform your insurance company. A lady in my office in June of this year got done for speeding and paid the fine and had her driving licence updated accordingly. What she neglected to do was to inform her insurance company. In August she lost control on a bend near Arundel and wrote her car off. When she claimed for the insurance pay out they declined as it says in the small print that any driving offences must be informed to the insurance company at the time they occur or the policy becomes invalid. In a nut shell they refused to pay out and she lost out on £8k worth of a relatively new car.

I checked mine policy on the back of this and in tiny print on about the 5th page of my documents it says the same thing. Good job knowing as many insurance companies might try to wriggle out payment if not all records are up to date. Reminder to all - check your small print!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here