Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar's new signings... something's wrong

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
We have been told by Tony Bloom that Burke provides Oscar with a list of players for each position and he then selects the player he would like and they try to get him.
My question is who were the other players on the list for left back and how far down the list was Ward?
The same question goes for Andrews.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Two good signings, agreed... but I'm sure they are not Oscar's picks. OK, he needs time to get used to our Championship but why no glimmers of new Spanish signings... I think it's very odd. He must want to be judged on producing a team that he has helped to choose, obviously in conjunction with those he has inherited. But when?

What don't you get? Our chairman said Oscar will not be going out and getting players.

Something poyet didn't like but clearly is something Oscar is happy with.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought we signed him because the football he wants to play and his history of developing and improving players in that system. That he might have connections to Barcelona that could facilitate loans was merely a bonus that may or may not produce something.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I very much doubt either were top of the list.
I think it's a reflection of where we are financially, in the Championship.

So do I. It is good to see us sign full internationals on a regular basis, even on loan. I am looking forward to seeing what happens at the end of the transfer window as well.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I think these have been strong solid signings, they are not going to set the world alight nor are they going to do howlers every Saturday. We are a club that wants to play by the rules, play the long game, don't get in too much debt, secure the future for our kids not just go all or nothing in this season. So what if Ward isn't a marque signing, he has been promoted out of this league, has played in the Prem, has played for his country and he isn't going to break the bank.

I am glad Oscar isn't wasting his time scouting players, i like the fact that Burke brings him a list of players that 1. are available. 2. we can afford. 3. are of a good quality. 4. play in the positions we need. So burke brings him 5 dvds and him, Nathan and the gang sit round and discuss the merits of each player; Nathan brings a bit of historical knowledge and Oscar can see who he'll fit in. We know Oscar spends time talking to the player as Andrews said so. Whats the problem? Whats wrong with that. I would rather Oscar settles his family, looks at Birminghams tactics, drill drill drill the players and Burke puts the leg work in. Oscar is not a scout - Burke is.

We the fans put all this spanish and barca burden of expectation on potential signings. The club never have. So its our fault when we feel let down we dont get them.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think these have been strong solid signings, they are not going to set the world alight nor are they going to do howlers every Saturday. We are a club that wants to play by the rules, play the long game, don't get in too much debt, secure the future for our kids not just go all or nothing in this season. So what if Ward isn't a marque signing, he has been promoted out of this league, has played in the Prem, has played for his country and he isn't going to break the bank.

I am glad Oscar isn't wasting his time scouting players, i like the fact that Burke brings him a list of players that 1. are available. 2. we can afford. 3. are of a good quality. 4. play in the positions we need. So burke brings him 5 dvds and him, Nathan and the gang sit round and discuss the merits of each player; Nathan brings a bit of historical knowledge and Oscar can see who he'll fit in. We know Oscar spends time talking to the player as Andrews said so. Whats the problem? Whats wrong with that. I would rather Oscar settles his family, looks at Birminghams tactics, drill drill drill the players and Burke puts the leg work in. Oscar is not a scout - Burke is.

We the fans put all this spanish and barca burden of expectation on potential signings. The club never have. So its our fault when we feel let down we dont get them.

Well said, SC.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would appear that we are looking to strengthen for the immediate future ie the next 3- 4 months by which time, come the January window we may be in a position for Oscar to know exactly who he wants and needs to make a push for the play offs/promotion.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
IMO what you need to get out of this division is good solid championship players, apart from SD our Spanish flair seems to spend most of the time out injured. My point being maybe Oscar does know exactly what it takes to get out of the championship.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I thought for certain that we signed OG because of his Spanish connections. Not only with our Latin players but because of his contacts with Barca and other things Iberian. But nothing. Not even rumours. Nada. All the signings and would-be new transfers are obviously from the club (Burke?) What's the thoughts about the lack of influence he seems to be having with bolstering his team with one's he wants?

I'd say your wrong and Oscar is having an input on the signings, Spanish Dave said in an interview he decided to come back to the Albion after receiving a personal phone call from Oscar and Andrews also said he spoke to Oscar before signing on loan. Lets not forget as well Oscar also decided he wanted an assistant manager who has knowledge of the Championship ( and other English league's ) which is why he appointed Nathan Jones and I expect he's having a bit of input as well ( as you would expect from an assistant manager )
Just because we're not filling the team with Spanish players it doesn't mean Oscar has nothing to do with transfers and it's all down to Burke, After all Oscar said himself he's not interested in the players passport he just wants the right player for the job.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What exactly does Oscar Garcia do? :moo:

Sits on the other side of the tunnel now and practices the art of looking taciturn. Not elegantly sartorial a la Gus. Not clean shaven. Clothes need tucking in, tie loose and suit ever so slightly crumpled.
Do yer know..I rather like that. Gus was like a male model, preened, immaculate and desperate to look in the nearest mirror.
Oscar snorts and grumbles quietly and observes and observes and observes. Clearly a thinker about the game, he is weighing everybody up. No histrionics. No arms akimbo, no eyes rolling, no appealing to the fans. ( although he did go mad re the ' non penalty v Derby...and rightly so )
Oscar watches whilst Nathan barks orders. Its all a learning curve. It will take time. We have to be patient. We have a good man here and in a couple of months we will all start realising this.
TB would not have risked putting this project into any old hands. This man was the only choice. He was hand-picked. If you trust in TB's judgement, then trust in his choice. Take a very deep breath and say to yourself........
" Don't panic...Rome wasn't built in a day....we will get back on track...we may take a small step back before going forward but we will get there....we have one of the best keepers in the division....the best holding midfielder, by a country mile...and the best centre-forward....two experienced centre-backs...two wide match-winners...and a bit of flair in midfield....it just needs a bit of tinkering and a dose of confidence. "
Sorted.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Sits on the other side of the tunnel now and practices the art of looking taciturn. Not elegantly sartorial a la Gus. Not clean shaven. Clothes need tucking in, tie loose and suit ever so slightly crumpled.
Do yer know..I rather like that. Gus was like a male model, preened, immaculate and desperate to look in the nearest mirror.
Oscar snorts and grumbles quietly and observes and observes and observes. Clearly a thinker about the game, he is weighing everybody up. No histrionics. No arms akimbo, no eyes rolling, no appealing to the fans. ( although he did go mad re the ' non penalty v Derby...and rightly so )
Oscar watches whilst Nathan barks orders. Its all a learning curve. It will take time. We have to be patient. We have a good man here and in a couple of months we will all start realising this.
TB would not have risked putting this project into any old hands. This man was the only choice. He was hand-picked. If you trust in TB's judgement, then trust in his choice. Take a very deep breath and say to yourself........
" Don't panic...Rome wasn't built in a day....we will get back on track...we may take a small step back before going forward but we will get there....we have one of the best keepers in the division....the best holding midfielder, by a country mile...and the best centre-forward....two experienced centre-backs...two wide match-winners...and a bit of flair in midfield....it just needs a bit of tinkering and a dose of confidence. "
Sorted.

£10 on a draw at Birmingham then ?

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Sorted.

Nail. On. Head. Once we get a win or two under our belts we'll be fine.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
I thought for certain that we signed OG because of his Spanish connections. Not only with our Latin players but because of his contacts with Barca and other things Iberian. But nothing. Not even rumours. Nada. All the signings and would-be new transfers are obviously from the club (Burke?) What's the thoughts about the lack of influence he seems to be having with bolstering his team with one's he wants?

Totally agree & very bemused by the situation to be honest. If we are bringing in solid and hard working players like Andrews and Ward then why not just employ a Kenny Jacket or Neil Warnock to stabalise the ship, I'm mildly concerned that the board are expecting players like the ones signed to have a huge impact and work into the style Garcia claims to like which is possession based passing football at a high intensity, basically says to me it would be an upgraded and faster tempo to what we did under Gus.

This will take time yes, but something just doesn't fit for me. Maybe as people have mentioned were trying to get the higher calibre player in but with no Gus to drawer the players in and with poogate the club is a little tarnished and its putting players off etc?

Bloom stated in the forum that a realistic target for this season was top 6, well no disrespect to the players signed but they are not top 6 signings.

I really hope some keyboard warrior digs my comments out in May if we finish in the top 6 and proves me wrong but at the moment were signing bodies to stabilize & OG for me is going to struggle here.

Lets hope we see a touch of flair come into squad on deadline day in the ilk of Lopez, Orlandi or ulloa. A couple of Spanish unknowns who have great pedigree would do the trick so OG can at least 5% stamp his mark on who he likes....I've never been sold by this manager not being involved stuff and if it has to be this way then id least it to be a little like Harry Redknapp.....he identifies a target and tells the board to do what they can, this way seems a little bit like...here's a list of players Oscar, point at one and we will go get him.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I think you're right. He needs to see what he has before he knows what he needs.

So you don't think that half a dozen pre season games, three first team competitive games, and dozens of training sessions is enough to get a view then.......just how many do you think he needs then?

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Why don't the club just let the good people of NSC pick the players OG will get, their knowledge is greater than his or the club's. Oh wait, I seem to remember there were several know-it-alls who wondered who David Lopez was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here