Oscar Pistorius allegedly kills his girlfriend - reports

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I thought Oscar came across as a bit of a nasty **** at London 2012 after throwing his toys out the pram when he lost a race. And as for the "he thought it was a burglar" !!! Why would the police release that kind of information straight after the crime?? And more importantly, why did everyone believe it? Naaa guilty as shit

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Plausible, yes (it has happened), but I don't think anyone suggested it was acceptable.

Would you rather people said 'It is in South Africa, so shooting your girlfriend is the natural way of things'?

It's a bad news story whatever the truth is, and wouldn't have happened here.

It is an extremely bad news story, but I think that you are misunderstanding what I am trying to say.

The news coverage this morning in SA was seriously awful, and it is that that has pissed me off. Not once whilst I was watching/listening to it (until about 12:30pm our time), did anyone suggest that it was not an accident. It was the total assumption that it was an accident and that therefore explains what happened in a rational, almost acceptable way. Like I said to Bushy, it perpetuates the negatives of this country. Shooting intruders is NOT the norm here, but media coverage today suggests that it is. That is what has pissed me off.

I am sure that it has happened there, and will happen there again, but people are less likely to swallow a story like the one perpetuated today.

- - - Updated - - -

She apparently has 4 separate gun shot wounds. That's going to take some explaining.

Indeed

Not really. We've not been told it was an accident.

Not officially. But every story this morning was "Oscar accidentally shoots his girlfriend" rather than "Girlfriend found dead at Oscar's house".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
She apparently has 4 separate gun shot wounds. That's going to take some explaining.
So you already know his defence or how he is going to plead?
No, but it sounds like you do. You are presuming that it's going to take some explaining (and presuming he's going to plead not guilty). I'm simply saying it might not. You're probably right though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, but it sounds like you do. You are presuming that it's going to take some explaining (and presuming he's going to plead not guilty). I'm simply saying it might not. You're probably right though.

You do take your pedantry seriously don't you!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
awr-hawkins-maps.png

Not much to add really

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You do take your pedantry seriously don't you!
I'm doing a PHD in it. Check profile.

In my defence, I was simply saying this may not take much explaining, he may just have shot her 4 times to kill her. It's possible.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Was it a 'Ripping Yarns' episode that went something like: BANG! "Sorry, the gun went off when I was cleaning it." BANG! "Sorry, it went off again!"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What utter bollocks. It does happen here.

Indeed. The statistics show that one woman dies at the hands of a male partner every week in this country.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I thought Oscar came across as a bit of a nasty **** at London 2012 after throwing his toys out the pram when he lost a race. And as for the "he thought it was a burglar" !!! Why would the police release that kind of information straight after the crime?? And more importantly, why did everyone believe it? Naaa guilty as shit

Me too, my whole opinion of him changed after that race at 2012. It was staggering that someone would take losing so badly and so publicly. Clearly unhinged and today proves it.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Me too, my whole opinion of him changed after that race at 2012. It was staggering that someone would take losing so badly and so publicly. Clearly unhinged and today proves it.

I agree he looked a total prick after that interview. Not sure I could link his reaction then to one of cold blooded murderer though. And yes, this a sounds very much likes he is guilty.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What utter bollocks. It does happen here.
It's not utter bollox at all. Tell me the last world famous British athlete that shot his girlfriend's brains out in his home?
Indeed. The statistics show that one woman dies at the hands of a male partner every week in this country.
And it would be more if everyone had guns in their home.

I said it wouldn't have happened here, and it wouldn't have done. If he lived here, he wouldn't have even had a gun at home.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Yes it would, which is my point.

I do not believe that it is a normal part of life here, but this type of reporting perpetuates the negative stories about SA being some sort of war zone.

A friend of mine is from Durban(ish), and he has told me of the stories of the jewellery sellers in the pubs around Jo'berg. Buy jewellery from them, then when you leave the pub they will stab/shoot you and take the jewellery back, plus whatever you have on you and your cash. He's also said he feels safer walking the streets of Durban than he does walking the streets of Brighton.

Someone I used to work with come from Port Elizabeth, and said she's seen very little trouble there.

It's the same as any country. Inner London has a HUGE gun crime problem, but the media will always try to wash over it to portray their country as a lovely place to be.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
It's not utter bollox at all. Tell me the last world famous British athlete that shot his girlfriend's brains out in his home?
And it would be more if everyone had guns in their home.

I said it wouldn't have happened here, and it wouldn't have done. If he lived here, he wouldn't have even had a gun at home.

Now that is complete bollocks.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
View attachment 39560

Not much to add really

Apart from NZ and Oz own the same percentage of guns as SA, but don't have the homicide number. Papa New Guinea owns very few guns but has high homicide rates.

All that says is gun ownership is not proportional to homicide.

- - - Updated - - -

No, he's quite right.

My Dad has lived in the UK all his life. At one point he had 3 shotguns and two air rifles.

If you live in the UK you are still allowed to hold a gun. Just look at the crazy bloke up north that went around shooting all and sundry (including his own family).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Iam not getting into adebate about guns. Again, The Truth might get involved and that moron makes me want to put my own fist through my brain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports