Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar interview coming up on Radio Sussex!!

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
This is the crux of the matter , Oscar thinks the performance on the pitch is ok but it isn't. The players aren't showing any bottle , for example Ulloa in the second half looked totally disinterested because he threw a wobbly in the first half and could have easily been sent off for not getting his own way.

It seems to me, and I may be wrong, that the player just aren't playing for Garcia. They seem as bored of him as I am!!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Well with the much talked about increased player budget this season, that leaves Burke and his gang finding players without Poyet and making a poor job of it in my view.

Firstly, I'm very sceptical about this supposed increased player budget this year and I have heard that OG was surprised when Barber announced it as well. Now, I'm sure the club wouldn't actually lie about it (as the accounts would show this up) so I wonder how much massaging of figures is going on (I have absolutely no proof of this at all so may be nonsense and I don't know how they would have done it). And I agree that I think the Poyet factor does make a difference - love him or loath him Gus had charisma and love him or loath him OG doesn't. Charisma doesn't make you a good manager but it helps if one of your jobs is to sell the club to prospective signings. I would love to know exactly why Grabban didn't sign and whether the Poyet factor might have persuaded him. I think Grabban may have made all the difference to the season.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Screwing up the Grabban transfer was so awful, that if most people screwed up like that in everyday jobs, they'd be fired! Who's fault was that? Burke, Bloom or Garcia?
Also not signing Conway was a joke.
These weren't bank breaking transfers, in fact they both seemed very keen to sign for us.

Garcia and Jones aren't really what's required in this league. Getting the ball forward more and more quickly doesn't seem to be happening. We are Dour.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Screwing up the Grabban transfer was so awful, that if most people screwed up like that in everyday jobs, they'd be fired! Who's fault was that? Burke, Bloom or Garcia?
Also not signing Conway was a joke.
These weren't bank breaking transfers, in fact they both seemed very keen to sign for us.

Garcia and Jones aren't really what's required in this league. Getting the ball forward more and more quickly doesn't seem to be happening. We are Dour.

Agree with all of that, question is and mist importantly does TB. If he does, will he act and get MAckay in? To b honest, another season like this one and ST sales will drop massively as the CUSTOMERS react to poor entertainment..

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich do ok and have directors of football and have for ages. That is just off the top of my head. :facepalm:

You can add Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, FC Porto and Udinese to that list as well. Man city as well? Meh never mind.

Of course it can work, as long as the guy doing the job is up to it. I question our mans track record to hold such an important job.
If you look at his career, it has been spent under the wing of a top former FA and England coach Les Reid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Reed_(football_coach) who employed Burke at both Fulham and Southampton as part of Reid's ream, but he has never been the head man as he is now at Brighton.
The only time in English football he has not been under Reid until now, was at Manchester City, where his role was a little unimpressive compared to his job now:

"September 2009 – June 2010 (10 months) Manchester City
Responsible on reporting all aspects of a Cluster of Clubs in the Southeast.
Opposition reports when needed.
Identify and recommend Talent in 15-21 age group across Europe.
To build upon existing contacts at Clubs and in Football around Europe"

Given time he may prove to be a great appointment, but it looks like both him and Oscar could well be out of their depth. But it is my view that David Burke did not control things under Poyet as he does now and I think the quality of signings brought in since Gus has gone, has proved IMO Burke's judgement maybe lacking.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Of course it can work, as long as the guy doing the job is up to it. I question our mans track record to hold such an important job.
If you look at his career, it has been spent under the wing of a top former FA and England coach Les Reid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Reed_(football_coach) who employed Burke at both Fulham and Southampton as part of Reid's ream, but he has never been the head man as he is now at Brighton.
The only time in English football he has not been under Reid until now, was at Manchester City, where his role was a little unimpressive compared to his job now:

"September 2009 – June 2010 (10 months) Manchester City
Responsible on reporting all aspects of a Cluster of Clubs in the Southeast.
Opposition reports when needed.
Identify and recommend Talent in 15-21 age group across Europe.
To build upon existing contacts at Clubs and in Football around Europe"

Given time he may prove to be a great appointment, but it looks like both him and Oscar could well be out of their depth. But it is my view that David Burke did not control things under Poyet as he does now and I think the quality of signings brought in since Gus has gone, has proved IMO Burke's judgement maybe lacking.

Why 'English' football, is foreign experience worthless 'Spanish ironic'

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I'm sure on one of his pre season BBC interviews Poyet came out and said the new manager needs to be given time: he knew what lied in front of whoever was gonna be in charge here this season. IMHO it's what cause the fallout with Barber and the subsequent offers to resign.

I aint a fan AT ALL of how we're playing but Oscar can only work with what he's been given.

Pulls IS manager of the year

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Not sure that Garcia's overly slow grasp of English has disguised a lack of clear vision for positive play, I have no confidence that he could 'do a job' in the Premier.
Maybe a replacement for Garcia been given the nod for mid season & budget is being held in waiting ?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Why 'English' football, is foreign experience worthless 'Spanish ironic'

I am questioning Burke rather than Oscar. If Oscar had the same input as Poyet did, I doubt their would be an issue. But I get the feeling that Poyet was not happy with the player budget and quality of players proposed to come in. Oscar has said very little about this subject and just got on and used what he has been given and this is where I question Oscar.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Two observations:

1. In his role as Head Coach how much other football does OG see? Does he ever go and watch players who we might be interested in or does he rely solely on Burke and dvds? I suggest the latter and this is one of the problems with the Head Coach concept at this level - you're not necessarily getting the full picture of how a player performs over 90 minutes.

2. Jones may be more of a problem than OG. I know if Jones was managing me there would undoubtedly come a point in time where I'd want to punch his lights out. OG needs someone who has strengths where he was weaknesses - I'm not sure what NJ's strengths are.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Gus had charisma and love him or loath him OG doesn't. Charisma doesn't make you a good manager but it helps if one of your jobs is to sell the club to prospective signings. I would love to know exactly why Grabban didn't sign and whether the Poyet factor might have persuaded him. I think Grabban may have made all the difference to the season.

A big slug of Leadership is about character, the strength to inspire others, act as a figurehead and role model and get the very best performance out of a team. From my experience there's a very common characteristic that runs through the most successful leaders and I've not seen it at all in OG. In his defence we see very little of him but we didn't see a whole lot more of Gus but you could just tell he had it (not that I ever liked the bloke!)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A big slug of Leadership is about character, the strength to inspire others, act as a figurehead and role model and get the very best performance out of a team. From my experience there's a very common characteristic that runs through the most successful leaders and I've not seen it at all in OG. In his defence we see very little of him but we didn't see a whole lot more of Gus but you could just tell he had it (not that I ever liked the bloke!)

I think that's a very important element for managing a Brighton team. If you think about it the most successful managers we've had were all good motivational leaders (e.g. Lane, Mullery, Adams, Poyet).

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
? To be honest, another season like this one and ST sales will drop as the CUSTOMERS react to poor entertainment..

This at least I can agree with.......I think for sure that next season is the make or break year, fingers crossed.

Feb 14, 2010
This has to be wrong but this season seems like the traditional under achieving club that is BHA. It feels like the club, players and manager took for granted the large support but didnt want to fight for promotion.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Excellent article on Roberto Martinez in yesterday's Guardian, about his personality and man management skills etc., several current Everton players singing his praises. You do have a suspicion that our current personnel set-up is somehow repelling, rather than attracting some of our targets, in the way that it wasn't under Poyet.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Pulls IS manager of the year

The exception doesn't always disprove the rule tho!!!

Granted, pulis has organised a squad with very limited ability.

TBH, I'm left scratching my head about what's goin on at the albion. FFP seems to disguise who at the club is actually doing their job well/to an acceptable level.

Are the players being suggested to OG really the best of what is available?

Is all the criticism of NJ and Burke giving OG some breathing space and detracting from the poor job he is doing?

Throw in the injuries and I don't know who to blame :)

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich do ok and have directors of football and have for ages. That is just off the top of my head. :facepalm:

You can add Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, FC Porto and Udinese to that list as well. Man city as well? Meh never mind.

None of them have been in their roles for longer than 5 years.

At Barca and Madrid the D of F role reports into the manager. We don't have a manager, we have a head coach.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Thats right, Burke/the scouting department draw up a shorlist of available/affordable players and Oscar gets to pick the best of a bad bunch.

That appears to be the long and short of it, if he is offered z-list players by Burke and his followers don't expect miracles on the pitch. I think the only way forward as they see it now is to develop the youth side so could be a few more years before we see further progress

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here