Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Gatcia

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I didnt say that have no bearing. So you think playing Barnes as a lone striker today even though it hasnt worked in previous games was a good idea? That shows a lack of willingness to change our approach to games

So what would you have done different. Not like we didn't create chances today either

Aug 23, 2011
It is very rare for a manager to hit the ground running, it takes time to get the team playing the way he wants and in my opinion this was always going to be a mid table season although I still will be hoping for more but not expecting it

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The thing that worries me a lot is that apart from one occassion during the shithouse first half performance against Millwall Garcia was not happy with he seems to think and say we have been playing well all season and everything is fine and dandy.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There is the 'lack of our best players' issue which is a mitigating factor but this doesn't explain everything. For me it's his lack of being able to motivate which is the biggest problem. He's pretty dour isn't he.

He's pretty dour publicly, yes. Does that mean he's exactly the same in the dressing room.. I very much doubt it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Which ones are the long-term absentees? CMS and Hoskins, yes. Ulloa, Lua Lua and Bridcutt? No.

Errrr.....Bridders is long term - has he kicked a ball in anger this season?

Ulloa being out for 2 months minimum is pretty long term too. Orlandi has barely featured either. Those three are pivotal to any side and bring a different level of performance that must also rub off on the rest of the team too.

With 8 first teamers missing and others in average form I think even Pep Guardiola might struggle to make us play top notch footie, plus it is the Championship and there aren't too many walk overs. None of Agustien, Lopez, Conway and Lita have arrived match fit either.

The only thing I can directly question Oscar over is him preferring Bruno and Lopez over players in better form. Ok give them a game or two but don't keep picking them if they aren't showing any form at all. That does weaken a team before it sets foot on the pitch.

I would give Oscar credit for blooding youngsters and also for allowing KLL to find some form just as it seemed he was getting all moody for not getting selected. Bit disappointing that Solly March hasn't had a bit more pitch time, he couldn't have done worse than Barnes and Buckley at times.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Im not worried about Garcia but the utter garbage signings such as Conway and Agustien that the club has got in for him to use and the shocking delay in getting a striker in. Too many Journeyman signings will get any team relegated and the club are tying Oscars hands behind his back imo .

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
All so easy isnt it. Just change the formation and we will win aye? So what formation you suggesting? 3 up front? 5 in midfield? What are the answers as clearly 8 injuries havd no bearing?

although it grieves me to say it, try Barnes and Lita together up front......and get the ball Lita quicker

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
What else would you do then? Barnes is our only match fit striker. Short of playing nobody up front there is not a lot of options. You could play Lita but he is obviously not ready for a full 90mins yet.

Not that I'm comparing the two look but what Spain achieved playing with no forwards. Torres wasnt good enough for the starting 11 so they played to their strengths. Barnes has been poor so an option could have been the Spain formation.

Another option would be pushing the midfield on so Barnes wasnt so isolated. Closing the gap between the midfield and forward line. There are 2 options but we chose neither. We stuck with what hasnt been working.

Im not saying I know the answer but it appears Garcia doesnt either.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Something has not been right all season IMO.

Absolutely. Missed out on play off final to our biggest rivals. Had a huge spat with huge egocentric manager. Appointed new, relatively inexperienced manager. Lost the player of the season for the past two seasons. Have 3 out of 4 strikers out (and we should have done more to replace them sooner). Have a big injury list to creative/attacking players. Have a board that will not ignore FFP. It would have been a ****ing miracle for it not to have gone a bit pear-shaped.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Absolutely. Missed out on play off final to our biggest rivals. Had a huge spat with huge egocentric manager. Appointed new, relatively inexperienced manager. Lost the player of the season for the past two seasons. Have 3 out of 4 strikers out (and we should have done more to replace them sooner). Have a big injury list to creative/attacking players. Have a board that will not ignore FFP. It would have been a ****ing miracle for it not to have gone a bit pear-shaped.

Yes. We are having a bad spell, draws away against QPR and Reading, plus beating Burnley, show that we can compete. When the squad is back up to somewhere near its full strength, then we will win games against poorer opposition.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
He's pretty dour publicly, yes. Does that mean he's exactly the same in the dressing room.. I very much doubt it.

There's no way of substantiating that one way or the other unless a player speaks out which I hope they won't. However, his overall demeanor is dour....when have you seen him get animated on the touch line? I worry about his ability to motivate.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The thing that worries me a lot is that apart from one occassion during the shithouse first half performance against Millwall Garcia was not happy with he seems to think and say we have been playing well all season and everything is fine and dandy.

this is a concern.

Times when he has said we played well we have looked pretty poOR IMO

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
NO manager can be EXPECTED to produce results in such a competitive league when the squad is shorn of it's best players for virtually every game, especially not a manager who has only recently taken over.

I hate the over reaction of NSC on days like this.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
NO manager can be EXPECTED to produce results in such a competitive league when the squad is shorn of it's best players for virtually every game, especially not a manager who has only recently taken over.

I hate the over reaction of NSC on days like this.

I get more arsed off with the over reaction on NSC than the result sometimes. We'll have the bulk of he injured back in about 4-5 games. Having Bridcutt and Ulloa back alone will be like making the 2 biggest signings we've made for years - I remember around deadline day that loads of Palace fans were creaming themselves on Twitter at the prospect of signing these 2!

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
We need some perspective here. We are not simply weak through a few injuries.

They are injuries to key players; Ulloa, CMS, Lua Lua, Bridcutt. That hurts.

Three are long term absentees. Hoskins has been out for ever, no fault of his, but he's still on the payroll.

I can't imagine any of the Championship 'big guns' suffering such extraordinarily bad luck and still be hovering around the play offs/auto spots.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be jumping for joy after a 0-0 at Yeovil but considering our circumstances it's not exactly meltdown either is it?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There's no way of substantiating that one way or the other unless a player speaks out which I hope they won't. However, his overall demeanor is dour....when have you seen him get animated on the touch line? I worry about his ability to motivate.

Yes, because waving your arms about and shouting is the key thing that makes a football manager successful. Like Paolo Di Canio.

Jul 14, 2012
I don't like Oscar Garcia. He doesn't know Brighton and Hove Albion, he doesn't know English football and he certainly doesn't know the Championship. He doesn't know the players he has, he doesn't know the players he needs, and he doesn't know what will work at this level. I didn't like his appointment, and I am not enjoying his tenure. I go to most games, I've missed one or two this season for health reasons, I can't help that. But I've seen enough to know that my instincts may be right. The last manager I didn't like was Steve Gritt. Just didn't like him. He ended up being a hero and I sang his name with joy and pride at Hereford (look it up, kids), so I held my hands up at that point. I didn't like the man, but he did the job. I don't like Oscar Garcia, but he isn't doing the job.

But I've not been watching football for three years. I go back a fair way, I've seen a lot of players come and go. I've seen three home grounds come and go. I don't expect our managers to understand our history. I don't want them to. Where we are going is better than where we have been. Where we have been is a provincial club, with good but not great support in terms of numbers, and in terms of passion and intellect. I don't mean that with disrespect, but with reality. I've been reading the "worst violence" threads with nostalgia. I've been there, I've got the scars. I was stabbed twice in a pub after an away game at Southend. THAT was the worst violence I had seen. Those people were prepared.

Oscar Garcia can not be judged yet. I don't post here much, I don't want to. I read the forum at times, I sit in an internet cafe with a coffee and a kitkat. And I disagree with a lot of what has been said, by a lot of different people. Garcia doesn't deserve any abuse. He doesn't deserve any criticism. Even if we had the full squad available to us and we were in this position, I would say the same. He has to be given a year. He has to be shown the respect and the dignity of being given the opportunity to do the job. If we want to be where Swansea are, we can not sack this manager. I don't think he is the one who will take us up. But he is the man who will take us to another level. Poyet did a good job setting the foundations, for everything. But he wasn't the man to take us up the next step because he wasn't prepared to wait a few years. Maybe that's because he thought he didn't have to, and he could do it in two or three seasons. But we need to be sustainable. Garcia probably won't get us into the Premier League. But the next manager will.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Injuries don't last for ever...

Everybody stop being so sensationalist.

Everyone was playing shit today.

I'm with you. Totally bizarre how the same comments are being made this year as last, and the year before (and we have our best players injured), but everyone blames Oscar.

Get over it all and get behind the team and the manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here