Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia must take most of the blame for our cup exit

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wonder about this keeper thing. For the last three years or so its the reserve keeper who plays in the Cup. It was happening before Oscar got here. Is it a club policy or is it written into contracts?

Using the number 2 goalie gives them some match experience otherwise they would spend the whole season on the bench.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Imagine Tom K plays every game for 2 seasons and all of a sudden he gets injured. Would you feel comfortable with a keeper who hasn't played first team football for 2 years or would you rather he had played in a few cup games in that time?

Also, do you not think it might benefit Tommy to have some time to switch off and get away for a few days?

I'd rather give the reserve keeper a few league games against lower teams in the division (if that's really necessary) than select him for a crucial cup game.

As for time for Tommy to switch off ... he was there at Hull so hardly "getting away". And not sure why he needs time ... Upson has been ever present and I don't see people saying he needs to be rested ... and there's considerably more physical effort in a central defender's game than in a goalie's game.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I'd rather give the reserve keeper a few league games against lower teams in the division (if that's really necessary) than select him for a crucial cup game.

As for time for Tommy to switch off ... he was there at Hull so hardly "getting away". And not sure why he needs time ... Upson has been ever present and I don't see people saying he needs to be rested ... and there's considerably more physical effort in a central defender's game than in a goalie's game.

If we lose the league game then it's "we need to be beating teams like this if we want to go up". Oscar can't win.

I thought Brez did well against them last week so why shouldn't he keep his place for the replay?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The scope of this post is way to advanced for most of the people on here to get.

I never expected anything more than what we got yesterday. Our chance was the first game and like it or not ulloa burying a free header before half would prolly have been enough.

You could just as easily argue we had a chance last night had we started with Kuszcsak, but that chance went begging when we started Brezovan. I know we were away from home but our fans were the only ones you could hear before they were gifted the opening goal.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
The decision to play Brezovan is one thing. To put him on the pitch in the right frame of mind to dominate the 6 yard box and organise his defence is another. If there is a failing in management I would say it was the latter.

Defences are often described as a 'unit'. We are lucky that we can cover our regular unit with replacements e.g. Greer/Dunk or Bruno/Calde so that if a change is needed (even Brez in for PIG) individually, it can still function well. But to make as many changes in the back 5 and expect them to work well is a tall order and makes their task very difficult, even to the extent of absolving any individual for blame, despite Brez being woeful for the 1st.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If we lose the league game then it's "we need to be beating teams like this if we want to go up". Oscar can't win.

I thought Brez did well against them last week so why shouldn't he keep his place for the replay?

I agree that Oscar had to play Brez, the problem lies with Brez not working on his biggest weak point. I would have thought that working with Koosh he would have ironed this key problem out, and I hoped that he had, but he clearly hasn't.

I have always given Brez the benefit of the doubt as I believe everyone can improve their game to a point, but he has demonstrated that he will never improve in this area. I don't blame Oscar for giving him the chance to step up though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My views on the management style of Senor Oscar Garcia Junyent have been made known on various other threads over the past few months, but at the end of the day look at it like this ... We were narrowly beaten, after a replay, by a team from the Premier League. I don't think there can be too much shame in that.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
OG can only pick his team from the players he has been given. That is the problem when you have a "head coach" and the identification of players to bring to the club is left to another.

I think it was Bozza who said that the club had 6/7 targets last transfer window. Presumably Obika, Rodriguez and Stephens were three of them. So rather than putting the boot into OG shouldn't questions be asked about Burke and his apparent inability to identify and attract quality players to the club?

Its all very well for that nice Mr Barber to keep wittering on about us being "Premier League ready". That's complete nonsense. The thing that makes a club PLR is a squad with quality in depth. Its the eleven players that cross the white line that will get us promoted. And it saddens me to say that what we have now just ain't good enough. Burke needs to step up and do the job properly - or go, and Barber needs to knock all his "PLR" nonsense on the head until we truly are.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Imagine Tom K plays every game for 2 seasons and all of a sudden he gets injured. Would you feel comfortable with a keeper who hasn't played first team football for 2 years or would you rather he had played in a few cup games in that time?

Also, do you not think it might benefit Tommy to have some time to switch off and get away for a few days?

All good points for FA cup 1 2 and maybe 3 but at the business end?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My views on the management style of Senor Oscar Garcia Junyent have been made known on various other threads over the past few months, but at the end of the day look at it like this ... We were narrowly beaten, after a replay, by a team from the Premier League. I don't think there can be too much shame in that.

If we're honest the 2-1 scoreline last night was quite flattering for us. It doesn't really paint the true picture of Hull dominating the game against a lethargic and lacklustre Albion side. I think Hull had a few more gears they could have gone through if they needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here