Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia must take most of the blame for our cup exit

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
It's not do much about them getting tired, it's more the wear and tear on their bodies. If a player picks up a little knock in January, for instance, and still plays every weekend and during the week then it's going to take a while to get back to full fitness again and could even become much worse meaning they are out for 2-3 games where we really need them. Anyone who's even played park football will know that towards the end if a season you feel more tired and it takes that bit longer to recover from games. Giving key players a chance of a rest in cup games could very well be the difference between winning or losing when it comes to the business end of the season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So how exactly did TK "tire" on Saturday, he touched the sodding ball 3 times, and two of those were to bend down and pick it out of the net.

The only weak link in tonight's selection was in goal, and it cost us the game.

I know we didn't deserve to go through on that performance, but we bloody well would have done with Tommy in goal.

You should look at the FLS on iplayer at the end of the game they have TK and Greer coming down the tunnel...he looked knackered...no idea why though lol....as a separate argument if TK gets injured..do you really want a guy coming in with no game time? Just asking ike

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
No, the players often do. The players certainly take a lot of the blame for tonight's abject first half performance, but Oscar lost us the tie by not committing our strongest team to try and beat Hull at the first attempt.

We were 5 minutes from winning that first tie. You have no proof at all that playing our best side in the first tie would have won us the game.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So how exactly did TK "tire" on Saturday, he touched the sodding ball 3 times, and two of those were to bend down and pick it out of the net.

The only weak link in tonight's selection was in goal, and it cost us the game.

I know we didn't deserve to go through on that performance, but we bloody well would have done with Tommy in goal.

I agree about Kooshak, but many team managers play their second keeper in the cups, Hull included. Steve Bruce was lucky to have an experienced calm keeper like Harper to call upon. Oscar wouldn't have seen much of Brez in the first team and after tonight I doubt whether he'll see much more.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I fully agree with your description of the match and it is clear Hull had plenty left in the tank. Let's face it, we put in one good free-kick from which the 'one man' of our one-man team scored, and it came entirely out of the blue. Other than that, we simply couldn't be bothered to be there. But I'm not convinced it's Oscar's fault. He did no more whingeing about the scheduling of the match than Steve Bruce. He also put out a stronger line-up than he did last Monday at home. It's just one of those nights where at least nine of the starting eleven need to look at themselves and realise they didn't even get close to putting in an acceptable performance. I appreciate every team has bad games, but there is no excuse for how slow and lacking in effort we were for the majority of that match. However, these are attributes that only players can bring to the table, not the manager.

He may have questioned the timing as well, but Bruce was far more upbeat about the tie than Garcia in the run-up. I firmly believe that it filters down to the players. How on earth can they be "up for it" when all the manager has done is complain about playing Saturday-Monday, and bleated on about "tiredness".

Sorry, you're professionals. Deal with it. This is your JOB. It was exactly the same for both teams, yet only one team looked really motivated out there.

We stank the place out, and while thats not ENTIRELY Oscars fault, he played a big part in it by being such a marose, miserable woe-is-me BEDWETTER in the run-up.

Yes. BEDWETTER.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We've reached it twice in the last three seasons, haven't we?

I hardly think Oscar deserves the plaudits for negotiating a home tie against a team in our division and a match against a mid-table League One side. But nor do I think he deserves heavy criticism tonight. He should certainly have played Kuszczak, but other than that he still put a largely experienced side on the pitch full of players who have played plenty of games for us this season. It's not his fault they looked like they could barely be bothered to break sweat in the first half.

Yes a team above us in the division and which has a much stronger squad and in receipt of parachute payments. The match against the mid table League One side was on a poor pitch and in very poor conditions. We played very well in both games with squad players. If your memory has deserted you I suggest you read the ratings on here for both games.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Its a great argument after we have lost though isn't it..if we had won..manager makes great move...lose and he's an arse

The way I see it quite a few players who don't normally get a run in the senior team contributed to the run we had in the FA Cup this season. They earnt their chance to be part of the senior team through those performances. Brezovan included.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Couldn't wait could you to have a swipe.
Have you thought that maybe the strongest team may not have played as well as our (slightly) weaker one? It happens. Or is it just black and white? Of course it is, this management lark is easy. This is why Man city have won every single game this season haven't they. So have Chelsea. So have QPR. Haven't they? Hang on, they have the strongest teams, surely they would win every match?

Agree with Savage all you like, you're both very wrong. It's GOOD ENOUGH, and Hull (The Premiership team) drew with us then beat us. Take it. Shit happens.

Or....expect the manager to pick a side that might actually win the game.
And for that to happen, you can't significantly weaken it in any position.

Oscar did.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes a team above us in the division and which has a much stronger squad and in receipt of parachute payments. The match against the mid table League One side was on a poor pitch and in very poor conditions. We played very well in both games with squad players. If your memory has deserted you I suggest you read the ratings on here for both games.

Nobody is disputing the performances in the Cup prior to this replay have been very decent.

But if you're going to try to tell me we did anything but turn up and roll over tonight, then I'd be interested to hear your take on it.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

Much stronger squad - where??????

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Or....expect the manager to pick a side that might actually win the game.
And for that to happen, you can't significantly weaken it in any position.

Oscar did.

We lost on Saturday too...

Are you saying the players who lost us the game on Saturday were more deserving of a game in the FA Cup over some of the players who'd got us this far in the Cup?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

Oh, and we were bloody terrible tonight.
Absolutely clueless in the first half, so no, we didn''t play well in both games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
His personality is always dull though. While I am fully behind him as a football manager, he's a long way from the top of my list of ideal dinner party guests. Even if we were one game from promotion, he doesn't seem like the sort to deliver a rallying cry.

I genuinely don't think he's responsible for tonight's tame showing, even though I fully agree with your assessment of how poor we were. There were players out there not doing the basics, like closing down, working hard, moving the ball quickly, looking forwards when possible and sprinting to the 50/50s. These aren't things the manager has to teach them before every game, they're minimum requirements.

I agree, OG is not someone you could envisage delivering the Gettysburg Address.

But he gave those players an excuse tonight. He gave them an "out", because it was as plain as piecrust on Rik Wallers tie that he personally had no enthusiasm whatsoever for this replay. He gave them an out, and they duley took it. The adrenaline of getting a goal back gave us a bit of a temporary boost, but the suffocating lethargia of the preceding hour had already done the damage.

The players are ultimately responsible for the performance, but I don't think OG can in any way be absolved from blame for how he sent us out. It plainly didnt matter to him, and thats precisely how we played.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
OG can only make use of what he has got, remember this is still basically Poyets team which is no slant on the current or previous encumbent. OG probably has a good idea who to ship out during the summer and who he would like to bring in. We do not have strength in depth which has been highlighted tonight and a major pain throughout the season so far. OG has soldiered on and not used it as an excuse for failure for which he should receive credit. Our injury list for the first half of the season was a who's who from the first team, and to be where we are in the league is a major bonus. As for tonight well he had to mix and match and as mentioned in the previous thread had it worked we would be lauding him to the heavens. Take it on the chin and look forward to Saturday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I agree, OG is not someone you could envisage delivering the Gettysburg Address.

But he gave those players an excuse tonight. He gave them an "out", because it was as plain as piecrust on Rik Wallers tie that he personally had no enthusiasm whatsoever for this replay. He gave them an out, and they duley took it. The adrenaline of getting a goal back gave us a bit of a temporary boost, but the suffocating lethargia of the preceding hour had already done the damage.

The players are ultimately responsible for the performance, but I don't think OG can in any way be absolved from blame for how he sent us out. It plainly didnt matter to him, and thats precisely how we played.

Pretty much this. I'd call it the 'tone from the top'. If the leadership (OG in this case) actively display a couldn't-care-less attitude, it's always going to filter down, and it did. Ho hum, been a nice ride, let's move on.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
The fans pay their season ticket money to watch 23 league matches. They are buying in to a 46 game season. Therefore, the manager cannot bail out two-thirds of the way through and field a weakened side vs. Wigan to switch his priority to the FA Cup.

Similarly, he cannot ignore the FA Cup and the glory and tradition it represents. Therefore, he needs to juggle. If he plays his best team throughout they will tire - even the likes of Barca might beat City but a few days later they pay the price by losing to Real Sociedad and surrendering the lead of La Liga to Real.

In some respects playing a full- strength team in the Cup might have been interpreted as a signal he felt promotion was beyond this squad. He clearly believes it IS still attainable, judging by his selections.

Gus let Tony Bloom down at the business end of the season and I think Oscar is committed to staying in the race for as long as possible. There certainly isn't any sign of ego derailing our tilt this time around.

Had we finished our chances vs Wigan most of these knee jerk threads wouldn't have appeared. We played poorly tonight but there are bigger fish to fry this season with a huge month in March.

The scope of this post is way to advanced for most of the people on here to get.

I never expected anything more than what we got yesterday. Our chance was the first game and like it or not ulloa burying a free header before half would prolly have been enough.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I find it a bloody cheek after the management and team decided to " throw " the game abainst Hull City and a chance of a home tie against Sunderland to reach the semi finals of the FA Cup, a competition I am thousands of other BHAFC hold dear to find a marketing e mail from the club in my inbox saying " ah well we are out of the cup but we have some cheap clobber for sale at the club shop "

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here