Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia must take most of the blame for our cup exit

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The whole thing revolves around Brezovan. Last season he played his last game against Arsenal, costing us a 500k replay and didn't play for the rest of the season. He can hang up his gloves again now, all he has done is lost us a game, upset our fans & players who know they are going to lose with him between the sticks. I bet he's not laughing like a demented drain now as he was in the tunnel, completely unfocused & nervous
TK will play every game, there was NO point giving PB a run out, we 're not a charity

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Basically Garcia threw the game and I am sure that was the feeling from the management above. A massive own goal with st renewals due and little to play for this season apart from an outside 6th place play off spot but more likely a mid table finish. Shocking.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The whole thing revolves around Brezovan. Last season he played his last game against Arsenal, costing us a 500k replay and didn't play for the rest of the season.

Brezovan never played against Arsenal last season.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I fully agree with your description of the match and it is clear Hull had plenty left in the tank. Let's face it, we put in one good free-kick from which the 'one man' of our one-man team scored, and it came entirely out of the blue. Other than that, we simply couldn't be bothered to be there. But I'm not convinced it's Oscar's fault. He did no more whingeing about the scheduling of the match than Steve Bruce. He also put out a stronger line-up than he did last Monday at home. It's just one of those nights where at least nine of the starting eleven need to look at themselves and realise they didn't even get close to putting in an acceptable performance. I appreciate every team has bad games, but there is no excuse for how slow and lacking in effort we were for the majority of that match. However, these are attributes that only players can bring to the table, not the manager.

Mostly agree wit htis. I thimk tiredness was a key too as OG said the team was knackered after Saturday quite a few played 90 mins again (how Ulloa did it on his ankle is neyond me!). Brez was a mistake and I also think that playing with no pace was a mistake, although perhaps OG had no choice. Still Im not going to lose sleep. I didnt expect us to get a result. Interesting that in the last two years in our two biggest games we've been a whisker from glory for it all to go bottoms up. Third time lucky!!!

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
If he had picked our strongest team for the first game against Hull we may well have won and saved our "tired" players having to play tonight.

If Ince is badly injured OG gets the blame for that too. No replay, no injury to Ince.

Ward was selected for the replay, so why wasn't he selected for the first game? Chicksen is either good enough or he's not.

We were TWO GAMES AWAY from a Wembley semi-final when we went into the tie with Hull. We already knew that we had a potentially winnable game in the next round if we beat them. They were there for the taking in the first game if we had played our strongest team. STUPID DECISION, Mr Garcia. You cost the club an awful lot of money and you have pissed thousands of fans. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Hold on one second, this is pretty much what I said after Monday's draw at home to them and I got ripped to shreds on here by a load of keyboard dickheads all jumping to Oscars defense, the guy ruined our cup chances with team selections that were unacceptable for this stage of the tournament, that's the short and long!

#gutted

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Although Brezovan had a shocker, I could hardly dispute that. Unfortunately goalkeepers get a rough ride because they are the last line. Inevitably when they cock up it costs a goal. When others do there is often someone behind to pick up the pieces. All that said, size withstanding Harper looked twice as professional than Brez did last night.

But if I wanted to decorate my Christmas I'd go for Brez :)

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Its not so much the selection, although Brez obviously turned out to be costly. Its more the entire week of constant GRIZZLING from OG (and then a couple of players in subsequent interviews) about having to play on a Monday night after a game on Saturday. The manager sets the tone for the team, and from the way he sent them out we just were not up for it in the slightest. You could see in the performance that nobody wanted to be there. It was all too much HASSLE for them. So what resulted was one of the most limp, lethargic displays of the entire season as they just went through the motions.

I feel so sorry for the fans who made the journey up there to witness such a gutless capitulation. From the entire build-up to this game and the demenour of OG, it was entirely predictable that we'd roll over tonight. The scoreline ended up close, but make no mistake, Hull didn't even break sweat. They could not have wished for an easier passage, because basically, we could not be arsed.
Hang on, wasn't Bruce equally frustrated that the game had to be played on Monday? Hull, being a Premiership team had a stronger squad than us and won.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm thumbs downing that because of the sensationalism around the post. Ridiculous.

I question a few decisions he made, but the idea that he needs to take all the blame for the cup exit is stupid.

Through a different set of lenses you could say that Brez and the linesman should shoulder the blame. Without their screw-ups we would have gone through.

Or how about Leo? He should have killed the game off at the Amex. Perhaps he should shoulder the blame?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Its debateable as to what is our strongest squad of available players. Solly March has forced himself into the first team, Dunk has shown that he can fit into the team, JFC worked hard and made a great contribution. On the other hand Lua Lua, seems to be mixed up about what he is about, Orlandi is not the finished article and Calde coming in for Bruno is a fare swap. The team for the first tie was a surprise, but was strong and last night other than Brezovan was fine. I thought we tried hard in the second half last night, but when your 2-0 up you can afford to sit back and put a lot of men behind the ball. The biggest problem is that everything up front, appears to have to go through Ulloa which I feel is a flawed strategy

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Couldn't wait could you to have a swipe.
Have you thought that maybe the strongest team may not have played as well as our (slightly) weaker one? It happens. Or is it just black and white? Of course it is, this management lark is easy. This is why Man city have won every single game this season haven't they. So have Chelsea. So have QPR. Haven't they? Hang on, they have the strongest teams, surely they would win every match?

Agree with Savage all you like, you're both very wrong. It's GOOD ENOUGH, and Hull (The Premiership team) drew with us then beat us. Take it. Shit happens.

If you want to win a game you put out your strongest team. Doesn't matter if it's a league game or cup game. If these so-called fringe players are good enough, why aren't they first choice for league games? If they're not first choice they shouldn't be playing in the cup games ... but I would accept a couple of changes against a team in a lower division. Hull; division above; two games from Wembly; STRONGEST TEAM. Pretty damn simple.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The scope of this post is way to advanced for most of the people on here to get.

I never expected anything more than what we got yesterday. Our chance was the first game and like it or not ulloa burying a free header before half would prolly have been enough.

Agreed. Let's be clear - against a PL side we are the under dogs, and under dogs usually get just one chance - the initial tie - it's very rare that they win the replay.

We now wait until August for more cup football - it's all about the massive games in March now.

On to Millwall, focus and win.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Indeed it was his fellow clown Ankergren that cost us a replay.

No, he didn't.

We matched them the whole game until they brought Walcott and Wilshere on - and that was the advantage they had to beat us - no keeper cock-ups or anything.

Swear people are blaming anything on our keepers at the moment.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
If you want to win a game you put out your strongest team. Doesn't matter if it's a league game or cup game. If these so-called fringe players are good enough, why aren't they first choice for league games? If they're not first choice they shouldn't be playing in the cup games ... but I would accept a couple of changes against a team in a lower division. Hull; division above; two games from Wembly; STRONGEST TEAM. Pretty damn simple.

Spot on. You cannot protect the players from all eventualities, they can get injured whilst training against each other. Unfortunately, I think this had been a season defining week, had we beaten Hull last Monday and then beaten Wigan (like we should have done), things would be looking a lot rosier now. Still roll on Saturday, 2500 of us ready to roar The Albion onto victory against Millllllll.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
We left out the finest keeper outside the Premiership last night !!
Full stop. Terrible decision
I cannot believe a giant powerful man like Breznovan was made to look like a little girl .:ffsparr:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I wonder about this keeper thing. For the last three years or so its the reserve keeper who plays in the Cup. It was happening before Oscar got here. Is it a club policy or is it written into contracts?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Imagine Tom K plays every game for 2 seasons and all of a sudden he gets injured. Would you feel comfortable with a keeper who hasn't played first team football for 2 years or would you rather he had played in a few cup games in that time?

Also, do you not think it might benefit Tommy to have some time to switch off and get away for a few days?

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I do slightly worry about the lack of passion and involvement from Garcia during games. Watching Uwe Rosler on Saturday you could see how involved he was, how much he was marshalling his team and getting involved. Sure, if he carries on like that he'll give himself a heart attack and there is certainly something to be said for setting out your team/tactics and trusting the players to do what they are told without butting in every 2 minutes but at times we do look clueless going forward (and often at set pieces) and some level of input from the touchline probably wouldn't go amiss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here