Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia - Is he what we hoped he would be?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
How many people turn up on a match day because of the manager?
Maybe you'd go if DiCanio was your manager, and you wanted to be there when he finally exploded.
But beyond that?

Everything in football is overdetermined.
There are way too few effects -- two outcomes, three if you count a draw, 1.8 goals a game give or take, and promotion/relegation.
And an infinity of causes for those few effects.

At least it keeps message boards hopping.

carteater

note I'm not trying to be offensive or anything here:
I think one of the main reasons that bloom appointed him was because he doesn't complain or make pointless comments like poyet did, e.g. saying that the championship was a bad league because we were going through a patch of bad form and were still 8th (I think Karma caught up with him on the 13th may), but his post match interviews are boring because they are the practically the same whether we win lose or draw he always seems to say he is very proud of the players and that it was good to win/ disappointing to lose or draw in front of our fans.If its that he's not confident with his english then he could have a go at what mauriccio pochetino does and use a translator.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think one of the main reasons that bloom appointed him was because he doesn't complain or make pointless comments like poyet did, e.g. saying that the championship was a bad league because we were going through a patch of bad form and were still 8th (I think Karma caught up with him on the 13th may), but his post match interviews are boring because they are the practically the same whether we win lose or draw he always seems to say he is very proud of the players and that it was good to win/ disappointing to lose or draw in front of our fans.If its that he's not confident with his english then he could do what mauriccio pochetino does and use a translator.

the post match interviews are boring because of the questions asked. Bar Mourinho are there are entertaining post match interviews (Holloway don't count!).
As for the appointment I would say it is his coaching background and working with, and making better, youth players.

carteater

the post match interviews are boring because of the questions asked. Bar Mourinho are there are entertaining post match interviews (Holloway don't count!).
As for the appointment I would say it is his coaching background and working with, and making better, youth players.

many managers will analyse the game, not just say that he is proud

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We have a thread on NSC which subtly mocks the fact that chairman and fans of football clubs are too impatient and sack managers too easily. Yet here many people have made up their mind after 8 months - very little time for a manager to make his mark on a team.

Edit: I'm talking about the 'Oscar Garcia is the nth longest serving manager etc.' thread.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think one of the main reasons that bloom appointed him was because he doesn't complain or make pointless comments like poyet did, e.g. saying that the championship was a bad league because we were going through a patch of bad form and were still 8th (I think Karma caught up with him on the 13th may), but his post match interviews are boring because they are the practically the same whether we win lose or draw he always seems to say he is very proud of the players and that it was good to win/ disappointing to lose or draw in front of our fans.If its that he's not confident with his english then he could have a go at what mauriccio pochetino does and use a translator.

But all managers say the same old same old, pre and post match. They may articulate differently and use different words, but they all say the same thing.

I find it refreshing to not have the added drama.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I was really excited pre-season with Oscar's talk of attacking football and 'scoring many goals'.

A couple of stats.

1.06 Goals scored per-game. Does that equal the attacking and goal-scoring philosophy OG has promised to bring to BHA?
BHA are placed 18th in the 'Goals For' table.

BHA have conceded 0.84 goald per-game. A great stat by itself, although this in combination with the above proves we play ultra-defensive football.
BHA are placed 3rd in the 'Goals Against' table.

We barely score enough goals to truly compete for a top 6 place and we almost certainly don't to stay in the Premier League.

We haven't exactly had the personel for OG's promised style of football though. We have three wingers, one is constantly injured, one is predictable and is quite injury prone himself and the other is only just breaking in to the first team. Our most creative player is injury prone, our other most creative player wasn't given a full pre-season so it took forever for him to get up to speed which hinders his ability to find form, ANOTHER one of our more creative players hasn't played in weeks with the assumption being he is lazy and he has a bad attitude. Our engine room has lost the one player who could both defend and go forward and do both well leaving the responsibility to two young players one of whom has been the surprise package of the season and other being constantly criticsed by our fan base for not being a world beater at the age of 19 and a loanee who started well but his form has dipped in the last few months.

So given all that do we really have the personel for ultra-attacking football? Or is it perhaps better to go defensive and make the team hard to beat? It's boring to watch but we've got the same points total as this time last season so if Oscar can do that with all the crap that happened over the summer, all the injures, the time you need to allow a new manager to get to know the league and his players/ players getting to know him and his style, imagine what he can do with a full summer preseason and players fit and ready to go.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We haven't exactly had the personel for OG's promised style of football though. We have three wingers, one is constantly injured, one is predictable and is quite injury prone himself and the other is only just breaking in to the first team. Our most creative player is injury prone, our other most creative player wasn't given a full pre-season so it took forever for him to get up to speed which hinders his ability to find form, ANOTHER one of our more creative players hasn't played in weeks with the assumption being he is lazy and he has a bad attitude. Our engine room has lost the one player who could both defend and go forward and do both well leaving the responsibility to two young players one of whom has been the surprise package of the season and other being constantly criticsed by our fan base for not being a world beater at the age of 19 and a loanee who started well but his form has dipped in the last few months.

So given all that do we really have the personel for ultra-attacking football? Or is it perhaps better to go defensive and make the team hard to beat? It's boring to watch but we've got the same points total as this time last season so if Oscar can do that with all the crap that happened over the summer, all the injures, the time you need to allow a new manager to get to know the league and his players/ players getting to know him and his style, imagine what he can do with a full summer preseason and players fit and ready to go.

Nicely put..but u will never convince those who don't like the type of football we've played for the last few years...or those who don't think Garcia is 'exciting' enough ...etc etc....but i'm with you

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Add to that that he was without the star striker for 3 months and the player of the season for the previous 2 seasons for all but 3-4 games (without having the chance to spend the transfer cash), you've got to say he's done quite well. I think to be where we are right now would've been about par even if we hadn't had all the injuries and 'loss of focus' on key players.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Nowhere in that article do you mention our chronic injury crisis this season which is as bad as I have ever known. CMS, Hoskins, Crofts, Bridcutt and Orlandi just for starters. The reason we have 3 wingers on the bench is because none of them can last a whole game; March is coming back from injury, Lua Lua can't complete a 90, Buckley can barely complete 45. Ince played yesterday with an injury, Stephens, Orlandi (again), Andrews, Ulloa, Bruno, Ward - all playing or not playing to a greater or lesser degree with injuries. I would argue that OG has worked MIRACLES to get us where we are. If you haven't got the (fit) players to be exciting then make your team hard to beat and then hopefully if and when we have a fully or nearly fully fit squad we can give it a go. There is no point playing an exciting formation if you haven't got the fit players who can do it and, for me, it shows the sign of an EXCELLENT manager that he has thought this situation through and is potentially curbing his natural attacking instinct in order to get us enough points to keep us in contention.
At last...Oscar has not been here a season yet,inherited one of the worst injury list I 've ever seen at the club...we are just outside the play offs...and some fans are moaning that Oscar has not come in,shaken the world by it's boots and we are not 20 points clear at the top.
Welcome to the world of non instance success...

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

He does....Nathan Jones.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
At last...Oscar has not been here a season yet,inherited one of the worst injury list I 've ever seen at the club...we are just outside the play offs...and some fans are moaning that Oscar has not come in,shaken the world by it's boots and we are not 20 points clear at the top.
Welcome to the world of non instance success...

Exactly.

Given what he inherited and has had to work with, the fact that we are where we are is a bloody miracle IMO. Has he ever had the ability to pick the same team two matches in a row if he wanted to? Can't have happened often with the injury ins and outs we've had lobbed at us.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There is a view across football that this possession type of play is the way forward. If we end up playing like Barcelona have in the past I don't have a problem and OG is as well placed as any to develop our club to that sort of standard. The issue will be the length of time it takes us to have the sort of wealth required to bring in top top players who are comfortable on the ball.
With the players at his disposal and budget I think he has done a remarkably good job to pick up the pieces from the disaster that occurred at the end of last season.
Like other posters, I would prefer to see a bit more attacking football for my money, but all good sides start off having a solid defensive foundation. I am still not quite sure how we have achieved this with some of the defenders at his disposal - must be something to do with being a good coach.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I just wish that we stared with a far more attacking line up for home games.

Three wingers on the bench yesterday, what's that about? Surely one of Buckley or March should have started?

Too many dropped points at home this season.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
If you'd like to add some facts to this debate.

Boring and negative? Compared to who?

Let's compare our average number of shots per game to the top two.

Leicester 17 shots
Burnley average 14.

Guess how many we average per game? FOURTEEN!!!

Oh wait how about the one's on target? Leicester and Burnley both average 5 on target per game.... we average FOUR.

So we DO create chances, we're just not very good at putting the chances away.

All in all, not doing so bad really considering the appalling injury crisis to our goal scorers.

BTW all this guff about spending most of our time passing it around at the back... 43% of our possession is in the middle third with around 30% in the final third... In case you're wondering that's not too dissimilar to Leicester and Burnley......

I've put what I think the problem is in BOLD

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would imagine we will have a squad overhaul over the summer. He is implementing his style and I am sure he has worked out who suits his system and who does not. Early days to be judging whether he will make a success of things. I would say we have had relative success already under him. We're the 28th best club in the country as it stands and there is plenty of time to go up or down from out current position.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
You have to wonder why the club would employ someone who had no experience of English football, right after missing out on promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here