Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia - Is he what we hoped he would be?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I would also add that OG has had nowhere near the backing Poyet had in the transfer market and I also have it, on pretty good authority, that (I suppose I should add allegedly) he's not overly amused by this and was less than impressed when Barber stated he had a slightly bigger budget to play with. That's not a criticism of the board by the way - it is what it is but again if you add a crippling injury list to a potentially weaker playing budget then he's doing perfectly fine.

This could have a major effect on how he wanted to develop the squad and may have tied one hand behind his back however I don't think he is getting the best out of what he has and seems a slave to a formation and system.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I really don't get all this bile that has been directed at Jones. A "yes man"? He shows a damn sight more passion than we ever had from Taricco.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You can add Andrews, Lopez and Orlandi to that list. Although to be fair Orlandi won't be missed as he has contributed nothing this season anyway. I suppose the same could be said for Lopez but at least he is not always crocked.

how do you rate a fit orlandi?....personally i rate him..but him and dave in the team is a bit of a luxury

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I would imagine that the squad that OG inherited is not what he hoped for, considering that most of our key attacking players seem to be injured more often than not. Even if he wanted to, he has not been able to field the same team week after week.

Our defence is solid because they have not been beset by injuries and have been playing together most games. The time to judge OG will be when our attacking options are fully fit and able to play game after game with each other.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
how do you rate a fit orlandi?....personally i rate him..but him and dave in the team is a bit of a luxury

A fit Orlandi would be a great asset to the team. But he is so fragile it's a joke. Unless you can get 20 games a season out of him, then his wages(which are sure to be high) would be better spent elsewhere. A great player is no good if he is sat at home or in the stands for 3/4 of the season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A fit Orlandi would be a great asset to the team. But he is so fragile it's a joke. Unless you can get 20 games a season out of him, then his wages(which are sure to be high) would be better spent elsewhere. A great player is no good if he is sat at home or in the stands for 3/4 of the season.

well hopefully he will be back soon..but as part of a midfield three where he has played recently i am not so sure

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I would imagine that the squad that OG inherited is not what he hoped for, considering that most of our key attacking players seem to be injured more often than not. Even if he wanted to, he has not been able to field the same team week after week.

Our defence is solid because they have not been beset by injuries and have been playing together most games. The time to judge OG will be when our attacking options are fully fit and able to play game after game with each other.

Exactly. Stability is so important - see Burnley.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Let's look on the positive side.
It is Oscar's first season at the club, his first in English football.
He had very little time to plan pre season, whilst the other clubs had all summer.
An injury list did not help, but it has helped to show us a few of the up and coming youngsters.
So next season, a whole summer in a new training academy.
Dale Stephens will be bedded in, Ince and Solly will be more experienced, Chicksen looks a good replacement should Ward move on, CMS and Hoskins will hopefully be like new signings, and Crofts will be back.
I think a few will be shown the door and hopefully a few astute signings coming in, with a proper summer to track them and get them involved.
Hopefully Ulloa will stay, as for Koosh, will any Prem sides want him.
Looking at other clubs, i think that BHA are in a fairly healthy position.
Still nearly a third of the season to go and if the play off's are not achieved then this time next season will be the time to judge Oscar.....imo.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Right it's a epic thread so if you have an attention span of a 2 year old, and what you post a one word reply calling me a ****, at least be original, I look forward to them. Anyone what to have a serious debate and prove me wrong, then I look forward to it! I could have posted it after the Watford game that saw us lose three on the bounce, but then I would have got ,tut only posting 'cause we lost, so whilst I know we haven't lost for a couple of games, try and look below the surface people!!!

Week after week we see negative shit from Brighton. I post this after 4 points from 6 games, although worth noting in those games we mustered two whole shots on target (one of which was a penalty).

Firstly I quite like Oscar. I meet him a couple of times, and he seems a humble pleasant sort of bloke. I ****ing hated Gus Poyet with a passion and wanted him out long before most others, but have to admit I'd rather him in charge than this gormless pair we have at the moment. Oscar Garica has to be the most under achiving manager I can recall at the Albion in 40 years supporting them. Absolutely ****ing clueless the pair off them.

Before anyone picks me up on that, I do not recall a manager getting so little out of a group of players. Sure we've had worst managers in terms of league position and results and performances in the past, but they had shit squads to work with. Garica has a good squad, a very good squad for this division, yet seems to bring the worst out in them week after week.

Ullah is painfully uninterested in playing as a lone target man, and who can blame him, and looking at Kuszazks body language and it tells you he aint sticking around next season for this shit.

Reading are a team on the slide, and we do not manage ONE SHOT on target at home. Did their keeper actually use his hands other to the place the ball for a goal kick?

Its not a one off, or a bad patch we are going through. It's week after week after week. It is so painful to watch.

And he has the gumption to comment on the radio and think we may have won it!!! What world does he live in!!

Oscar manage the ****ing team.. PLEASE... Pick a system that works for our players. Your system does not work. One goal a game is not good enough.

Why have THREE WINGERS on the bench???? What was that all about? Three wingers on the bench, but none from the start?? Someone explain that to me!

Watch Garica against QPR Tuesday. I sit right behind him and not once did he interact with the team. Hardly ever does. Plenty to say to his little "yes man" next to him, but all he does is pace up and down the whole game , hands in pockets without any interaction with the team. He just stands and watches the game hunched with his hands in his pockets. Not exactly motivating for the side is it!! I noticed Kuszczak hold him arms aloft after Greer got sent off, as though to say, "what the **** we doing". The players get no, or very little direction from the bench during a game.

Results and league position is not what is going to drive fans away from the Amex. Its the lack of entertainment, boring football and Oscars style of play that will cause much more damage to attendances and season ticket renewals than league position. I am trying to convince my group of 5 to renew their season tickets next year. Didn't have much chance after watching that type of performance again! Yet, remarkablely we find ourselves 2 points outside the play offs and still in touch, yet this should no gloss over the fact we should be up there and running away with Burnley at the moment.

But once again yesterday, the crowd turned on the referee who despite having a piss poor game, got the Gordon Greer 2nd booking spot on. But lets all blame him, instead of looking at the main cause of the problem.... which is Oscar Garica and his brand of negative football.

I honestly believe we have a squad that is good enough. The only loss to that group of players over last season IMO is Bridcutt. Wayne Bridge was struggling at the end of last season, and with hindsight Ward is the much better option of the two.

All this talk of a striker crisis is rubbish. We only play with one Ulloa, and check your programmes people, when he was out injured, we seemed to have our most entertaining period and best in results terms as well. Is that because Barnes was better than Leo....... I think not. So why when Leos playing do we struggle to score goals. I agree with most on here who will say he's one of the best strikers we've ever had, certainly in recent times, so why do we struggle to score when he plays. Answer - tactics, style of play. It is not suited to him, just as it isn't suited to the squad, and that is the moan. CMS and Hoskins would have made the same different as Leroy Lita, none, because Oscar will sit them on the bench.

All I want is a Brighton manager to drop this formation and style, and look at his squad and pick the best side, and pick a formation that best suit those players. What I do not want to a manager who picks the best players to suit a formation, when that formation is too much for those players to perform, which I think our current one is. That is not having a pop at the squad, because as I said before I believe this is one of the strongest squads in the division, but they nor for that matter, sides outside the top 6 in the premiership are good enough to play Oscar's "Barcelona way" and scoring one goal a game, and with not many more shots on target a game, I believe goes some way to proving that. If the day ever comes that our squad is best suited to the current style, then I look forward to seeing it. But that day is a long long way away I'm afraid.

Some may say they are enjoying the football at the moment. Fair play if you do. Personally though I'd rather see us win games and be chasing an automatic promotion place, then scrap for the final play off spot, which I believe we will fall well short off in the end. Rather than play pretty tippy tappy football around the halfway line (which at times I fully admit is stunning), and register one or two attempts on target during 90 minutes, I'd rather see us attack the other goal more! If the Football League ever change the league tables, so that the points column or even the goal different column is changed for a possession column, I might change my view, but for now I think we are one of the most underachieving sides in the division, and certainly one of the most underachieving Albion squads I can recall

Here's looking forward to our ONE goal against QPR on Tuesday (thats if we manage a shot on target). Let's hope they don't score any and we may be okay!! If not we can always blame the ref and Harry Redknapp!

Rant over! Look foward to ignoring the usual idiots who are bound to come along, but do look forward to a decent debate with someone who completely disagrees with that.

An excellent summation of how I and many of my bha supporting friends feel. This system is not working, in particular at home. As i said in the match thread yesterday it is so reminiscent of Mike Bailey. So, so negative at home. Supporters will turn away from this unless something changes.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I wonder if the sentiments in the OP would be the same if we had spanked Reading by 3 or so goals.
The point is we didn't. And setting ourselves up the way we do, there is no way we would score 3 goals (bar own goals or penalties perhaps). The point that i think the OP is making is that this is happening game after game at home, with no sign of anything changing. Many, many fans are beginning to get frustrated by it.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Nowhere in that article do you mention our chronic injury crisis this season which is as bad as I have ever known. CMS, Hoskins, Crofts, Bridcutt and Orlandi just for starters. The reason we have 3 wingers on the bench is because none of them can last a whole game; March is coming back from injury, Lua Lua can't complete a 90, Buckley can barely complete 45. Ince played yesterday with an injury, Stephens, Orlandi (again), Andrews, Ulloa, Bruno, Ward - all playing or not playing to a greater or lesser degree with injuries. I would argue that OG has worked MIRACLES to get us where we are. If you haven't got the (fit) players to be exciting then make your team hard to beat and then hopefully if and when we have a fully or nearly fully fit squad we can give it a go. There is no point playing an exciting formation if you haven't got the fit players who can do it and, for me, it shows the sign of an EXCELLENT manager that he has thought this situation through and is potentially curbing his natural attacking instinct in order to get us enough points to keep us in contention.

This.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Tony Bloom is no fool, he can be ruthless when he needs to be. Ultimately if he decides Oscar Garcia was a mistake he'll get rid, no question.

Personally I think he's done a pretty decent job considering the injuries, his lack of first hand knowledge of the English league, the disrupted preseason, the financial constraints, his weak English language skills, the new culture that he finds himself in, the difficulties in managing a home life in a new country, the hangover from a charismatic former manager and the promises he may or may not have made to certain players before his departure.

I don't like the gurning, his hand in his pockets looking at his shoes or his complete (to my eyes) lack of passion during games, but then its not what I'm used to. Perhaps his way is a better way?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
well hopefully he will be back soon..but as part of a midfield three where he has played recently i am not so sure

This is the problem, where does he fit in??? He has got vision, he can pick a pass, no problem with that. But he has no pace and is lightweight. So he is no good out wide on the wing and he is no good in the engine room in the middle. I feel his best position would be to have a free role just behind the striker. But you can't build a team with him in mind because you never know how long he is going to last. Which is why I feel he is just taking up a wage that could be better used elsewhere. I doubt he is going to get less injury prone with age.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
the hangover from a charismatic former manager

It baffles me that people used to constantly moan about Gus' antics on the touchline, his "excuses" in post match press conferences if we lost and now we have someone who is almost the exact opposite, quiet and calculating, full of praise for the players and fans and now they moan about that!

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I think we've shown we're not quite top 6 this season, where we are is a fair reflection of our season and to be honest, positions 7-10 will do me, not brilliant, not bad. I do think however that the injury to Crofts has cost us playoffs this year, he's been a huge loss. That's not Oscars fault is it? I'm happy with him as our manager, but would expect play offs next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here