Oscar Garcia - Is he what we hoped he would be?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It baffles me that people used to constantly moan about Gus' antics on the touchline, his "excuses" in post match press conferences if we lost and now we have someone who is almost the exact opposite, quiet and calculating, full of praise for the players and fans and now they moan about that!
People like moaning!

The difference between Poyet's and Garcia's characters couldn't be bigger. Polar opposites as you said. I wonder if this was done intentionally.....we've had enough of big mouth, lets get someone who says nothing!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'm glad people are now seeing what I saw last year, appointing a manager or head coach with no experience of English football let alone the Championship was a massive mistake. Teams that get promoted from the Championship always have managers that have been in and around the championship for years like Pearson and Dyche, Bruce, Mackay and Holloway last season.

I've seen nothing in any of the home games so far that says we are on the right lines and Oscar is worth carrying on with, turgid negative football, no plan B and yesterday having 3 wingers on the bench whilst crying out for width was the finisher for me. I'm fed u[ with the injury line being repeated week in, week out, excuses are not worth anything when you can't use the resources you get in like Lita and Obika.

Brighton fans have always demanded attacking attractive football which is why Mike Bailey got the sack despite us being the safe in the top division. I hear too many people saying that they're bored and thinking of giving it one more year and then walking away from season tickets.

Barber and Garcia have ruined the Albion.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
We seem to have taken a step backwards.
When we played Leeds and Doncaster we played fast, attacking football. I was relieved as I thought Garcia had finally realised this was the way to play.
Ok so we only won the games 1-0 but they were entertaining.
Since then we have dropped all the attacking wingers.
Lingard looks good but Lopez is not a player that can play as a striker in a 433.
We had so little pace yesterday it was awful. Millwall away was also awful.
Really disappointed as Garcia promised attacking football and (but for a few games) it has been dull, predictable and boring.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
We seem to have taken a step backwards.
When we played Leeds and Doncaster we played fast, attacking football. I was relieved as I thought Garcia had finally realised this was the way to play.
Ok so we only won the games 1-0 but they were entertaining.
Since then we have dropped all the attacking wingers.
Lingard looks good but Lopez is not a player that can play as a striker in a 433.
We had so little pace yesterday it was awful. Millwall away was also awful.
Really disappointed as Garcia promised attacking football and (but for a few games) it has been dull, predictable and boring.

for God's sake-we haven't dropped our wingers-March and Buckley at least haven't been fit and Lua Lua is far far better as an impact sub and can't ever sustain 90 minutes. I guess you could argue that you play Kaz for the first half but I'd argue that he's better coming on against tired defenders.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Tough one. I do think the injuries and the shananigans last summer have made this a tough season. I also think some of the one touch football particularly in midfield this season is far better than we ever played under Gus. However, I do feel that we don't whip enough crosses in, which Ulloa thrives on nor do we have the players in the box for the crosses to aim for.

I said top 10 at the start of the season and still think that now. I'm happy to give OG until this time next year and I hope he will have the chance to influence recruitment over the summer. I feel the squad next season will be very different to this one with so many contracts up in the summer. If we scrape the play offs this year though I am confident for some unknown reason - probably based on our defensive strength...

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
Nowhere in that article do you mention our chronic injury crisis this season which is as bad as I have ever known. CMS, Hoskins, Crofts, Bridcutt and Orlandi just for starters. The reason we have 3 wingers on the bench is because none of them can last a whole game; March is coming back from injury, Lua Lua can't complete a 90, Buckley can barely complete 45. Ince played yesterday with an injury, Stephens, Orlandi (again), Andrews, Ulloa, Bruno, Ward - all playing or not playing to a greater or lesser degree with injuries. I would argue that OG has worked MIRACLES to get us where we are. If you haven't got the (fit) players to be exciting then make your team hard to beat and then hopefully if and when we have a fully or nearly fully fit squad we can give it a go. There is no point playing an exciting formation if you haven't got the fit players who can do it and, for me, it shows the sign of an EXCELLENT manager that he has thought this situation through and is potentially curbing his natural attacking instinct in order to get us enough points to keep us in contention.

Pretty much agree with this. I have watched us this season at home and we seem to play much the same way as GPs way apart from seeming to search out Ulloa's head a little TOO often. Our midfield just hasn't quite moved forward as a unit as much as I would like. I think it will click but unlikely to reach the playoffs. OG will get us up next season.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Incidentally I thought Reading yesterday had very similar problems to us on the pitch - they keep the ball really well but looked lost when they got near the box. Interesting that we're both in a similar position, a case of beating the shit teams but not good enough to break down those with a solid defence perhaps.

What shit teams are you referring to ? The ones at the foot of the table who at time beat those at the top end. There are no walkovers in this division as frequent results show.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Instead of pointing the finger at Oscar perhaps we should be looking at some of the players who have the ability to play in the Championship but are not good enough in a squad going for promotion either automatically or via the playoffs. I think there will be a clear-out in the summer and Oscar will be given the chance to build his own side and then TB will judge him on that basis.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I do not understand all this critiscm of Oscar and our tactics. I like our style of play of trying to keep possession and patience looking for an opening. The only dissappointment for me is our final ball into the box and taking some ov thd nj erous chsnces we create but as the players get used to it we as a team will get better. I am certain that if Oscar thinks the players we have cant do it, during the next few months he will bring in players that he thinks can.

Our style of play involves slowly moving the ball from side accross the defence, occasionaly flirting with the wings, when this inevitably doesn't work the ball gets whacked at Ulloa who has nobody within 20 yards of him. IMO our so called style is slow, predictable, boring and couldn't be further from resembling anything like attacking football. We're slow and ponderous and rarely threaten the opposition goal.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Instead of pointing the finger at Oscar perhaps we should be looking at some of the players who have the ability to play in the Championship but are not good enough in a squad going for promotion either automatically or via the playoffs. I think there will be a clear-out in the summer and Oscar will be given the chance to build his own side and then TB will judge him on that basis.

The concern about that would be the awful players that 'fit our stlye and system'. it'll be tough getting too excited if Obika and Andrews are anything to go by.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
New chant:
We are boring,
We are boring!
So so boring,
Got no nouse,
We are boring
Super boring
We are boring
Rather paint me...'ouse

I reckon this could catch on. Lyrically not too challenging.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I was really excited pre-season with Oscar's talk of attacking football and 'scoring many goals'.

A couple of stats.

1.06 Goals scored per-game. Does that equal the attacking and goal-scoring philosophy OG has promised to bring to BHA?
BHA are placed 18th in the 'Goals For' table.

BHA have conceded 0.84 goald per-game. A great stat by itself, although this in combination with the above proves we play ultra-defensive football.
BHA are placed 3rd in the 'Goals Against' table.

We barely score enough goals to truly compete for a top 6 place and we almost certainly don't to stay in the Premier League.

Ulloa and CMS, our two best strikers can't play to their potential as lone strikers. If you look at their histories before BHA, they both play off a partnered striker,
They both scored buckets of goals at their previous clubs, alongside another striker.

I honestly don't particularly care if/when we get to the Premier League, I just want to be entertained at the Amex every other Saturday, which just isn't happening.

Yearly rant over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports