Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Open Letter to NSC - re: Palace Trolls

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
At least they care about us again. I can remember this place being infested with Orient and Chesterfield *shudders*

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dear NSC,

I often wonder why the good, decent Albion-supporting faithful on this forum engage with the idiot Palace wind-up merchants that come here to agitate, inflame and irritate? While I do acknowledge that fans of other clubs can provide a robust platform for debate, this rarely happens and in my albeit short time on NSC, all I have witnessed are slurs, insults and ad hominem attacks against the city,club and supporters of BHAFC. These (typically CPFC) posters have nothing to add to the discussions on NSC and are only here to wind people up. Why put up with it? People have come to NSC out of interest for their local club, to share thoughts, ideas, concerns, stories and for a general sense of community and not to be harassed by idiots from other clubs.

Fortunately there is a solution to this. These forums have within them the ability to block posts and comments from certain individuals. The Ignore User function is there for a purpose. My suggestion to NSC is to utilise it to the fullest extent. Trolls and posters of that ilk (CPFC) are looking for an audience. The best way to deal with them is to not give them the platform they are desperately seeking.

Granted that I am new to NSC, but I am unfortunately all-too familiar with the types to imbeciles that go on to opposition fan forums and hurl abuse. There are already a number of Palace "supporters" on my burgeoning Ignore User list. It is a cathartic process to remove any and all reference to them and their inane prattle. As a result, my experience on NSC has improved commensurately.

Just a thought experiment, nothing more, nothing less.

Yours truly,

Dr NBC

As you've only been a member since April you haven't actually SEEN any Palace trolls. The ones currently posting are the decent ones who hung around after the St Patrick's Day Massacre. You should have seen the ones after we'd lost at Selhurst, all pretty standard stuff but it got the bedwetters on here into a right tizz.

BTW, and this applies to everybody, DR NBC is a 'newbie', not a JCL. There is a big difference. I do wish people would get the terminology correct. Failure to do so can start a binfest.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I can appreciate this.

I really should have known better than to start a thread which was intended to get people to think critically about an issue the day before a big match with the old enemy.

More fool me. :(

I'd go down the route of discourse theory (Foucault)and apply it to identity formation. Bound to be friction where different identities rub against each other. Current Palarse (spelling compulsory in the BHA discourse) identity requires us to be 'plastic' and/or 'tinpot' or their identity implodes. This is predictable when common performance and status criteria (e.g. crowds, stadium, unblemished past, administrations, league position, St Patrick's Day) put us in the ascendancy. Not so long ago all we could claim was a moral superiority based on the nobility of our collective struggle.

You can apply the same analysis to unravelling the BHA tribes (the groovy gang, those who look down on people who sneak out 5 mins before the end, those who look down on JCLs, those who think familiarity with the rules of grammar beatify the pedant, etc etc).

This is probably 25,000 words short of an answer. Over to you, Doc ...

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I still loathe them with a passion, mind

Chrystal Palarse :D

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What's happened to the thread about where Palace are staying tonight?
Buxted hotel wasn't it? Where's that gone?

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
As you've only been a member since April you haven't actually SEEN any Palace trolls. The ones currently posting are the decent ones who hung around after the St Patrick's Day Massacre. You should have seen the ones after we'd lost at Selhurst, all pretty standard stuff but it got the bedwetters on here into a right tizz.

BTW, and this applies to everybody, DR NBC is a 'newbie', not a JCL. There is a big difference. I do wish people would get the terminology correct. Failure to do so can start a binfest.

I appreciate the distinction. Thanks for that.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
I'd go down the route of discourse theory (Foucault)and apply it to identity formation. Bound to be friction where different identities rub against each other. Current Palarse (spelling compulsory in the BHA discourse) identity requires us to be 'plastic' and/or 'tinpot' or their identity implodes. This is predictable when common performance and status criteria (e.g. crowds, stadium, unblemished past, administrations, league position, St Patrick's Day) put us in the ascendancy. Not so long ago all we could claim was a moral superiority based on the nobility of our collective struggle.

You can apply the same analysis to unravelling the BHA tribes (the groovy gang, those who look down on people who sneak out 5 mins before the end, those who look down on JCLs, those who think familiarity with the rules of grammar beatify the pedant, etc etc).

This is probably 25,000 words short of an answer. Over to you, Doc ...

Well said Shuggie. This is the type of response that I was looking for but was afraid I would not get. I don't really have much to add other than I have always found the desire to form an identity most interesting. Not only is the process important in defining individuals to others, it is equally important to define one to oneself as well. It is a sort of post hoc justification of one's own individual belief structure, all on display. The importance that a sense of "belonging" has on particular social groups can be a powerful motivating factor when looking at identity formation and social behavioural patterns.

Thanks again for your reply, it was most satisfying to read.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As you've only been a member since April you haven't actually SEEN any Palace trolls. The ones currently posting are the decent ones who hung around after the St Patrick's Day Massacre.

These ones have been trained to stick to the Palace threads. When new ones sign up in their excitement they post Palace related crap on threads where it has no place. Then their excitement wears off and if they stick around they learn the protocol.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here