Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Olympics viewing strategy

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Almost as stupid as the skateboarding scoring, where they skated around doing several tricks for 45 seconds to pick up 2-4 points, but were then winning 3-5 points in the second part for doing a single trick down a handrail. It's equivalent to finishing every single football match with a round of penalties and then deciding the result based on the overall total score. :facepalm:

What's stupid about the taekwondo scoring? If it's tight, someone can strike a winning blow in the final seconds. Just like in basketball someone can sink a winner at the buzzer.

With the street skateboarding, there's no reason why they can't score higher in their initial 2 runs. The points system is the same in the 2 runs as it is for the 5 best trick attempts. The total is made up of the 4 best average scores out of 7 (2 runs, 5 best tricks) Maybe we're seeing higher averages for the single tricks as it's harder to nail one perfect move than to put together a few simpler tricks.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There are certainly some odd sports. The skateboarding with a bunch of teenagers with Air Pods in their ears didn’t scream ‘Olympic sport’ either…

I did raise an eye brow upon seeing the air pods but I think it's great that sports such as skateboarding, surfing and climbing have been added. 3-on-3 basketball too.

The age of the women's Street medal winners made their achievement all the more impressive. A 34-year-old American was well-placed to take a podium place but was outdone by two 13-year-olds and a 16-year-old. Having that skill and composure at their age is incredible. None of the male winners were teens.

If curling and horse dancing feature, there's no reason why skateboarding shouldn't.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I keep thinking this as well. She would lose one point for stepping out but was 2 up? Maybe we need an Italian coach to teach them how to run the clock down…

That was my take on it. Seems the obvious thing to do. Oh well.

Argies beating the saffers with 6 men for virtually the whole match when 7-0 down and pen against on own line is my current games highlight.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Sounds like the I've made the wrong move in swapping channels:

Screenshot 2021-07-27 11.50.34 AM.png

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I did raise an eye brow upon seeing the air pods but I think it's great that sports such as skateboarding, surfing and climbing have been added. 3-on-3 basketball too.

The age of the women's Street medal winners made their achievement all the more impressive. A 34-year-old American was well-placed to take a podium place but was outdone by two 13-year-olds and a 16-year-old. Having that skill and composure at their age is incredible. None of the male winners were teens.

If curling and horse dancing feature, there's no reason why skateboarding shouldn't.

Yeah, I guess all part of life’s rich tapestry. The skateboarding felt a bit contrived to me, but certainly takes skill. The surfing looked bonkers in those waves. That is definitely a proper sport - needed a lot of bravery!

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
I'm fully immersed after watching the gold rush highlights from yesterday and then staying up until 1am to watch the conclusion of the Womens Triathlon. I love the range of events. You end up watching all sorts. So yesterday was swimming, diving, mountain biking, skateboarding, rugby sevens and trialthon. However I also draw the line at horse dancing (unless we are going to win)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
She'd have wanted more, but a Bronze for Walkden and GB.

With 3 medals from 5 fighters despite Jade Jones missing out, GB Taekwondo has delivered once again.

It's definitely a sport that I'll be looking forward to watching again and, more importantly, I hope that the production line of young fighters is continued.

Let's also hope that Lutalo is kept on by the BBC in some capacity. He's added a lot over the last few days.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
She'd have wanted more, but a Bronze for Walkden and GB.

With 3 medals from 5 fighters despite Jade Jones missing out, GB Taekwondo has delivered once again.

It's definitely a sport that I'll be looking forward to watching again and, more importantly, I hope that the production line of young fighters is continued.

Let's also hope that Lutalo is kept on by the BBC in some capacity. He's added a lot over the last few days.

Taekwondo was OK but not edge of the seat stuff - you don't see any Jean Claude van Damme style flying roundhouses.....

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Another bronze for GB in the Women's Gymnastics Team Final! :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here