Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Olympic Ticket Watch

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Oh for god's sake, they list all the events you assume their are tickets available for, you click the link, or example tennis, and all the dates and prices are cross out so there are no tickets. Why cant they just list what is available

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Got the same email.

I don't think they should have limited applications to 3 sessions, they should have just designed the allocation software to only give you one session, until everyone had been given a session, then give you a second session etc (not quite that simply, but along those lines). The problem wasn't that people applied for 10 sessions, the problem is whom they gave the tickets to.

That would have just encouraged people to ask everyone they know (who wasn't applying themselves) to apply for one set of tickets on their behalf in the knowledge that they've got more of a chance than everyone else of getting them.

It's likely that a huge number of the people that applied for tickets, just applied for the £100m finals and or the opening and closing ceremonies.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Oh for god's sake, they list all the events you assume their are tickets available for, you click the link, or example tennis, and all the dates and prices are cross out so there are no tickets. Why cant they just list what is available

Because conspiracy theorists would have said that LOCOG weren't being transparent and actually the entire tennis finals were going to be watched by Evil Bankers, Pedos and despot dicataors.

The link I posted above has all the remainng tickets in one pdf

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I applied for basketball prelim games on August 4th in the morning and athletics in the evening, 400m or 800m womens final I think. Didn't get anything, I would have thought I would have got the basketball games..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That would have just encouraged people to ask everyone they know (who wasn't applying themselves) to apply for one set of tickets on their behalf in the knowledge that they've got more of a chance than everyone else of getting them.
They could have done that as it was, no different. Regardless though, they didn't have to say how they were going to allocate the tickets, they could have just said what they did, but done a better job of distributing the tickets fairly.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Applied for the 200 meters first round heats in the morning and cycling in the afternoon. We got the tickets for the 200 meters but not the cycling.

We presumed we had a good chance for the first round heats and yet would still see all the big guns.

I feel a bit sorry for the organisers as there were always going to be not enough tickets to go round.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
2/3rds miss out so 1/3rd must have got loads and loads of tickets.

Will try and get some of the remaining few athletics tickets on the 8th or 9th August as want to see something at the Olympic venues rather than football at places I have been or the Excel arena where I have been, and I refuse to pay £50 for 45 mins of synchronised swimming!

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Tried my to login in also and all I get is this, explains why.

Please Note: We are currently completing our initial ticket allocation and as a result we are not accepting further ticket requests for London 2012 Olympic Games tickets until this process is complete. If you would like to be kept informed about when our London 2012 Olympic Games ticket request system will be open again, please fill out our enquiry form or follow us .

If you have made a request for tickets you will not be able to access your account while the initial ticket allocation takes place. When the allocation is complete we will send you an email asking you to log into your account, this is when you will find out whether your request has been successful.

Due to the high demand for tickets we expect to complete the initial allocation by Monday 20th June. The website will be offline until the initial allocation has been completed, once this has been completed the website will be back online with the revised availability.
If you have any further questions relating London 2012 Olympic Games tickets, please email us at london2012@sportsworld.co.uk

I've been able to log in and see that I appear to have got the tickets I applied for through them. Still no confirmation email though.

2/3rds miss out so 1/3rd must have got loads and loads of tickets.

I don't think that follows; according to the Guardian 700,000 people were successful, and 3m tickets were sold, giving an average of 4.28 tickets per customer. If the average application was for 2.4 tickets (the approximate average household size) that's less than 2 (about 1.8) successful applications per successful applicant.

It's clear now that the system favoured those that applied for loads of tickets; why they didn't apply some kind of maximum (either in terms of applications per person, or in terms of successes per application) I don't know - they've certainly had enough time to do so.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Didn't get anything at all and don't fancy any of the leftovers (not with a family of five wanting to go) so think I'll ignore the whole thing and hold my own games in my garden instead....

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I don't think that follows; according to the Guardian 700,000 people were successful, and 3m tickets were sold, giving an average of 4.28 tickets per customer. If the average application was for 2.4 tickets (the approximate average household size) that's less than 2 (about 1.8) successful applications per successful applicant.

It's clear now that the system favoured those that applied for loads of tickets; why they didn't apply some kind of maximum (either in terms of applications per person, or in terms of successes per application) I don't know - they've certainly had enough time to do so.

Because why would they want to stop people getting tickets to the unpopular events??

Because why would they want to stop people getting tickets to the unpopular events??

I take your point, but you could limit the ballot successes per application - i.e. if you win tickets in a ballot for one event (you'd have to prioritise when you applied for tickets) then you would not be entered into any other tickets requiring ballots until everyone else in that ballot was in the same situation. I'm not saying it wouldn't be complicated but they've had bloody ages to actually carry out these ballots, more than enough time to use this kind of system.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The ticket distribution has been appallingly ill thought through, and is probably the only thing surrounding the Olympics where you can say as much. It's a pity, because it is the UK tax payer who is forking out for this two week extravaganza, and so ticket distribution really ought to have been as fair as humanly possible - no favouring any sector of society, just make sure anyone who wants tix can at least sample the sport.

The Paralympic committee in particular must be delighted with this shambles. All the good-will directed at Logoc has been eroded over this, to the extent that they will be told to do one when they start offering tickets out to the disabled event.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Might be interested in a ticket as it appears i have sod all chance of getting any others!

Can you pay me £300 by visa today and in six weeks time I'll let you know if your application has been successful....

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
My email confirmation that I haven't got any tickets has just arrived in my inbox, so others maybe receiving theirs as well..

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I take your point, but you could limit the ballot successes per application - i.e. if you win tickets in a ballot for one event (you'd have to prioritise when you applied for tickets) then you would not be entered into any other tickets requiring ballots until everyone else in that ballot was in the same situation. I'm not saying it wouldn't be complicated but they've had bloody ages to actually carry out these ballots, more than enough time to use this kind of system.

That's super complicated and I'm really not sure that there are many people out there with loads and loads of tickets. There was one guy that had spent £11k but he was biddng for high price tickets (which had a higher chance of success). I'd be very suprised if there are many people who bid for lots of low price tickets that have got them all. If they are that lucky they should have been entering the lottery not getting Olympic tickets

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I was asked in a professional capacity a few months ago to help in providing advice regarding the corporate hospitality stands that are being erected at 4 Olympic venues. One each at Olympic Park, Eton Donnay, Horseguards Parade and Greenwich. I think that the capacites at each were in the order of 1000, 500, 500 and 750 (I can't recall exactly and have drunk too much cider anyway ....) . The point is that if you muliply the above by 3 or 4 times for each of the sessions that are being held at each venue by the numbre of days each venue is being used, then that is a lot of tickets. We all know that you need commercial entreprise to help pay for the event, but I can't help thinking that it was not made clear when London won the Olympics that so may tickets would be outsourced. The London Olympics is also the first to have official corporate hospitality tickets on sale.

That's super complicated and I'm really not sure that there are many people out there with loads and loads of tickets. There was one guy that had spent £11k but he was biddng for high price tickets (which had a higher chance of success). I'd be very suprised if there are many people who bid for lots of low price tickets that have got them all. If they are that lucky they should have been entering the lottery not getting Olympic tickets

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Applied for four events, spread amongst - Handball, athletics, gymnastics and BMX racing. Combinations included one adult and either one or three of my kids - total if all successful for all = £180.

£60 came out of our account which was either athletics or handball as those were the two events where all four of us applied, adding up to £60. On today's news that there's oodles of handball tickets left over, I suspect our first ever trip to watch handball is now very much ON ! :) Not over the moon with only getting that, but happy to have at least got something.

I will now be eating large amounts of humble pie having previously predicted that those applying for massive amounts could well find themselves landed with a fortune taken from their accounts. Oh well....we live and learn I suppose :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here