Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old Squad Photos

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The ginger lad was tony richardson he came from newcastle was a good player but george & ken didn't much like him so he never got the chances he deserved, the other apprentice next to george was frank mcalear who joined from celtic boys club,peter skouras came over from the states sitting in the middle, between gary stevens and gary williams is dave linstrum he came from dover also howard denton standing next to gerry ryan and the 2 blondes sitiing either side of peter skouras are andy young left side and glen ? the other apprentice on micky rings left shoulder is me

The apprentice? sitting on the far right glen ? as you call him seems to be the out of age kilter as I am sure he was not you other apprentices age.

I seem to recall that he had a link with West Bromwich Albion and was brought to the club by Ken Gutheridge ???

Frank Mcalear had some problems and returned to Scotland and I think had a jail term for lude behaviour.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Brilliant work to give us all those images, Cappers!

attachment.php

Anyone know all the people in this pic?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
And who remembers these cheeky japesters from 1987-88?

(by the way, if anyone has any colour photos of the Albion squad - perhaps from an away programme - from 1992-93 to 1995-96 - please get in touch!)

No Curbishley, Keith Dublin etc

See Gaza Nelson there......great days...can even see my spot in the North stand!

:albion2:

D

Deleted User X18H

Brilliant work to give us all those images, Cappers!

attachment.php

Anyone know all the people in this pic?

Mal Stuart , Steve Gritt ?? Stuart Storer, Mark Ormerod, Mark Morris, Stuart Tuck, John Humphrey, Derek Allen, Dave Martin , Jeff Wood.

Robbie Reinelts, Kerry Mayo, Paul Macdonald?, Ross Johnson, Jeff Minton, Craig Maskell,Jock Ridell (RIP)

Best I can get. ?? = possibly Simon Fox.

Can't name any of the crowd in the North Stand though except possibly Tim Hodges.

Last edited:

then and now

Jan 16, 2010
The apprentice? sitting on the far right glen ? as you call him seems to be the out of age kilter as I am sure he was not you other apprentices age.

I seem to recall that he had a link with West Bromwich Albion and was brought to the club by Ken Gutheridge ???

Frank Mcalear had some problems and returned to Scotland and I think had a jail term for lude behaviour.

Glen was a yr older than us he had an accident in greece in the close season ended up with a lot of stitches to his leg he didn't return the following season and howard was the youngest

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Glen was a yr older than us he had an accident in greece in the close season ended up with a lot of stitches to his leg he didn't return the following season and howard was the youngest

You were a motley crew ;-)

Poor old 'Yank' must of wondered what he had let himself in for !!!!!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Mal Stuart , Steve Gritt ?? Stuart Storer, Mark Ormerod, Mark Morris, Stuart Tuck, John Humphrey, Derek Allen, Dave Martin , Jeff Wood.

Robbie Reinelts, Kerry Mayo, Paul Macdonald?, Ross Johnson, Jeff Minton, Craig Maskell,Jock Ridell (RIP)

Can't name any of the crowd in the North Stand though except possibly Tim Hodges.

Thank you! Pardon my ignorance - who was Jock Ridell?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA

yeah that's deffo paul macdonald...

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Little Jock Ridell was an absolute legend. Kit man and and general odd job, he hated bellotti and used to feed us with such tales of when somebody was nicking the soap powder, for washing the team kit, so a packet was 'mixed' with something that would bugger up a washing machine. shortly after, so legend has it Bellend needed a new machine!

jockonly retired not many years ago. he was knocking on a bit and poor health which, infortunatly, took him in the end.

gaz99

Feb 27, 2009
So, then and now, you're Paul Gent?

Thank you for all the background information of the players. Incredible, the knowledge available on NSC.

i remmber watching paul gent through school ,county and brighton 1 of the best to come through sussex for a long time never to make the grade

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
My last one...:albion1:

Attachments

• Albion 1980-81.jpg
    Albion 1980-81.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 445

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Oh yeah, that classic picture with an artist painting an image of Michael Robinson in...

And the goalies wearing an Albion badge on each nipple (to hide the Bukta logo, presumably).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
And just when I thought there were no more to be found, I found this one from the archives. Possibly the first ever Albion colour squad photo....

Brighton's Winning Beers - TAMPLINS ... they should have that at Falmer.

Attachments

• 1969v3.jpg
    1969v3.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
That 68/69 team pic
Hodges, Powney, Lawton, Gall Templeman, Napier J, Napier K, Livesey, McGill, Burns and McCauley.
Smith, Blackburn, Henderson, Tawse, Armstrong, Wilkinson, Everitt & Turner.

named than straight off as this was the team pic from my 1st season. memory is a wonderful thing, I couldn't remember the name of a woman chairing a meeting I was in at work yesterday yet i've known her for years!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
For you, Freddie, and others around back then, here is that other 1968-9 squad photo after a bit of image retouching....

Attachments

• 1969v4.jpg
    1969v4.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 356

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Anyone have the 77/78 full squad picture where Micky Ring is sitting down with his knob peeking out?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I have the Albion book by John Vinicombe with the full 1977-78 squad photo but I see no knob of Michael Ring! :cry:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Thanks mr Rapper!
This would be a mid season pic after the great Freddie Goodin had taken over from Archie MC . With Alex dawson but no Eddie Spearritt, i'd put this pic at around December time.

Having a go at the names....
Dalton, Smith Everitt (standing on something!), Armstrong & blackburn.
Powney Henderson, Turner Napier J, Gall, Templeman & Burns
Wilkinson, Dawson, Napier K, Lawton, Livesey, Flood & Tawse.

Love the kit, Oldham have something similar now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here