Old photos of Brighton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flex Your Head

20576_342502986095_1686459_n.jpg

Taken in 1985 as I can just about make out three album covers:

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair - Top row, 2nd left
Stephen Tin Tin Duffy - The Ups and Downs of - Second row, far right
Madonna - Like a Virgin - Bottom row, 2nd right

The photo was taken by my old boss who went on to manage the Western Road branch of Virgin shortly after this. The two trendy dudes having a fag out front both worked for the company too and were involved with setting up the new store.

Other records in the window include Paul Young's 'Secret of Association' (next to Tears for Fears), Strawberry Switchblade, 2nd row far left, and Sade's abysmally dull 'Diamond Life', 2nd bottom row, far right.

My eyes hurt now.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
The photo was taken by my old boss who went on to manage the Western Road branch of Virgin shortly after this. The two trendy dudes having a fag out front both worked for the company too and were involved with setting up the new store.

Other records in the window include Paul Young's 'Secret of Association' (next to Tears for Fears), Strawberry Switchblade, 2nd row far left, and Sade's abysmally dull 'Diamond Life', 2nd bottom row, far right.

My eyes hurt now.

There is also Phil Collins - No Jacket Required (3rd row from bottom, 2nd right)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Me too; I worked in the Western Road branch for 7 years.

Quite likely then that we have spoken.

Trying to visualise the store as it was but my memory is poor and keep thinking back to Churchill Square branch. What I do remember though is watching Billy Bragg do an In store there and I bought a signed copy of The Queen Is Dead with Morriseys name in Gold pen the day it was released.

Flex Your Head

CorgiRegisteredFriend;59 12506 said:
Quite likely then that we have spoken.

Trying to visualise the store as it was but my memory is poor and keep thinking back to Churchill Square branch. What I do remember though is watching Billy Bragg do an In store there and I bought a signed copy of The Queen Is Dead with Morriseys name in Gold pen the day it was released.

This might jog your memory a little. I was on my day off so am not in this (mucho relief!), but I know just about everyone in it and it does make me feel a tad nostalgic and misty-eyed.

I was a big Billy Bragg fan and the manager let me watch his set from the temporary till we set up. Billy was allowed to choose a few records to take away with him, and much to my disgust and surprise, he chose several Spandau Ballet 12" Imports at £6.29 each. Allegedly for his sister, but I wasn't convinced.

I remember the signed Smiths sleeves - I think a good 60 -75% of them were sold to the staff!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
This might jog your memory a little. I was on my day off so am not in this (mucho relief!), but I know just about everyone in it and it does make me feel a tad nostalgic and misty-eyed.

I was a big Billy Bragg fan and the manager let me watch his set from the temporary till we set up. Billy was allowed to choose a few records to take away with him, and much to my disgust and surprise, he chose several Spandau Ballet 12" Imports at £6.29 each. Allegedly for his sister, but I wasn't convinced.

I remember the signed Smiths sleeves - I think a good 60 -75% of them were sold to the staff!

There were a few faces that looked familiar- the film has certainly captured some brilliant hairstyles. I kind of remember the lay out now. Obviously the two floors with lps as they were then at the top. Cassettes as you went in. That's about it though. My memory is generally shocking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports