Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old photos of Brighton

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The MK1 Concorde was where I had my first pint as a Brighton citizen, and of all things, a certain Rockin' Bill was doing an afternoon set. That was August Bank Holiday 1997.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
The red bus is an old trolley bus, you can see the wires above it going up Preston Road. The last one ran on 30 June 1961 therefore the picture is correctly dated.

Thats not a trollybus - they never ran on the 5 route as the lines never went out as far a Patcham.

None the less, the picture is dated about right.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Some good snaps there.

In this one of the pier, you can see a sign that says CONCORDE. Is this a sign pointing down Madeira Drive to the Concorde 2 or was there another Concorde to which is refers?

enhanced-buzz-21435-1376991228-10.jpg

The original Concorde was pulled down in 1998.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Makes me feel old to see snaps from 70's and later being considered of historic interest - perhaps I should be too ?

Churchill Square . early 70's. had my wedding reception in that upstairs restaurant....Was it the "Solarium"?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
My memory is that Norman cook was already pretty big at the time Big Beat Boutique started. I am pretty sure that he had already released Better Living Through Chemistry as Fat Boy Slim. (Although I will concede that my memories of that time are a little hazy).

The Chemical Brothers Dj'd at the opening Big Beat Boutique as I remember and they were incredible. They were truly some of the best nights of my life.

bloody hell I used to have so many good nights down the concorde. Big Beat Boutique aside they would always have something decent on on a saturday night and even though the place didn't look much it was often quality.

You're right Norman Cook had already made a name for himself. I vaguely remember coming out after a night with everyone singing '45!' a lot as he'd played that brimfull of asha remix he did. Used to go all the time until turned up one saturday and all of London had arrived to see what was going on. Didn't go again after that. Not cos I'm too cool. I just don't like queuing and I'm not cool enough to get in without queuing.

Brilliant nights. Heard the Chemical Brothers myself there one time, and a particular favourite was Jay Saul Kane AKA Depthcharge

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Picture No 3.

Shows Speedway Motorcycles - always good for a browse.
They moved out to Lewes Road - by the gyratory - about 1978-ish
I was working in Redhill Motors at the bottom of North Road at the time

Picture No 9.

In the background you can see the roof of the music hall / cinema before it was knocked down and turned in to Boots

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
am I the only one getting a load of red crosses and pictures unable to load?

Jimmy Grimble

I suspect that's more to do with the (high) quality of the print, and the lack of 'noise' in the picture.

I can well believe those dates on the photographs.

The red bus is an old trolley bus, you can see the wires above it going up Preston Road. The last one ran on 30 June 1961 therefore the picture is correctly dated.

I wasn't suggesting the date was wrong - merely stating it looks recent, as TLO has pointed out, because of the excellent print quality.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Picture No 3.

Shows Speedway Motorcycles - always good for a browse.
They moved out to Lewes Road - by the gyratory - about 1978-ish
I was working in Redhill Motors at the bottom of North Road at the time

Picture No 9.

In the background you can see the roof of the music hall / cinema before it was knocked down and turned in to Boots

Now reverted to a half-decent pub.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here