Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old photos of Brighton

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Some good snaps there.

In this one of the pier, you can see a sign that says CONCORDE. Is this a sign pointing down Madeira Drive to the Concorde 2 or was there another Concorde to which is refers?

enhanced-buzz-21435-1376991228-10.jpg

thats not really the pier though is it?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Great pictures. Those later ones bring back lots of memories. I also spent lots of my time in the virgin record shop and when it moved to Western Road.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The concorde was where many public meetings of BISA were held, during the Gory years.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Some good snaps there.

In this one of the pier, you can see a sign that says CONCORDE. Is this a sign pointing down Madeira Drive to the Concorde 2 or was there another Concorde to which is refers?

enhanced-buzz-21435-1376991228-10.jpg

Evan back then people still insisted in walking in the cycle lane! :dunce:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That is the site of the original Concord club, it was a bit of a dive but had some legendary nights down there, my favourite was the BigBeatBoutique nights, it's where Norman Cook started and where FatBoy Slim was created. The Concord got knocked down when they did the redevelopment of that part when they put the Burger King and the arcades there.

I believe the Concord then had nights at the Honey and Beach clubs on kings road arches whilst they redeveloped the current site along the strip. Which used to a bikers cafe if I remember rightly. Had some cracking nights in the new venue too.

It also had the Crocodile Cabaret, a comedy night at which I saw loads of great comedians. And some shite ones.

The compere was Terry Garoghan.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
An Albion forum was held at the old Concord when Greg Stanley attended and spoke as Chairman.

After appearing very shifty that evening and fobbing off the fans it became obvious then that the club was on the slide and the Archer/Bellotti era began. Bad days.

Build a Bonfire!!!!!!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
20576_342502986095_1686459_n.jpg

Taken in 1985 as I can just about make out three album covers:

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair - Top row, 2nd left
Stephen Tin Tin Duffy - The Ups and Downs of - Second row, far right
Madonna - Like a Virgin - Bottom row, 2nd right

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
20576_342502986095_1686459_n.jpg

Taken in 1985 as I can just about make out three album covers:

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair - Top row, 2nd left
Stephen Tin Tin Duffy - The Ups and Downs of - Second row, far right
Madonna - Like a Virgin - Bottom row, 2nd right

I think there's a Phil Collins - No Jacket Required in there... back i the days before he was crap.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Me too. Remember it well. I once bought a Stiff Little Fingers album in there but had to take it back because they'd accidentally (?) inserted a classical music record in the sleeve instead... I put it on expecting to hear 'Wasted Life' or 'Suspect Device' and all I got was a violin concerto!

:eek: What a surprise!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That is the site of the original Concord club, it was a bit of a dive but had some legendary nights down there, my favourite was the BigBeatBoutique nights, it's where Norman Cook started and where FatBoy Slim was created. The Concord got knocked down when they did the redevelopment of that part when they put the Burger King and the arcades there.

I believe the Concord then had nights at the Honey and Beach clubs on kings road arches whilst they redeveloped the current site along the strip. Which used to a bikers cafe if I remember rightly. Had some cracking nights in the new venue too.

My memory is that Norman cook was already pretty big at the time Big Beat Boutique started. I am pretty sure that he had already released Better Living Through Chemistry as Fat Boy Slim. (Although I will concede that my memories of that time are a little hazy).

The Chemical Brothers Dj'd at the opening Big Beat Boutique as I remember and they were incredible. They were truly some of the best nights of my life.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Was an 'intimate' bar with a stage area for gigs. Saw many events there of varying quality but was certainly dated prior to being moved along the road.

It was a great venue, low ceilings and decent acoustics for its shape. I played there many times, I would have been at the low end of the variety of quality. Packed it out a few times though and got some atmosphere going.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Thanks. I don't remember the old site at all, although it was obviously still standing not THAT long ago. Always wondered about the significance of the 2 in the name of the current Concorde. Now I know.

Saw some great gigs at the original Concorde. Jurassic 5, Raw Tribe Killaz (an old Brighton rap crew). Even Big L played there a week or so before he was shot in New York.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here