Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

old git rant!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When as a lad in the late 40s and 50s we didn't have electrical appliances like to day and a hand iron that heated on the gas, a cold box at the back door that we filled with cold water every couple of hours. We had a wireless that operated off of an accumulator (battery) that was charged up at the local bike shop. Obviously in the cooking of food there was n convenience sauces like today or surprisingly sliced bread. We did have Pig Bins stood in the street by the lamp post into which we put all our scrap food and peelings, not that there was much as rationing was in place. We also went to the greengrocers (Sleemans) to have a bottle filled with vinegar.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
With the survey saying 4/10 families are cutting back on food what did the old gits not have when they were young.
I'll start double glazing,central heating,holidays abroad,sky,mobile phones,meals out,electricity when the strikes were on... you get the picture:(
We even lived in a paper bag in a septic tank:facepalm:

I'm not entirely sure that the 2 things are connected. Do you have a link to the survey? Or a reason for cutting back on food? Is it to afford luxuries, or have they been cut already?

When I grew up in the 80's we didn't have: double glazing, central heating, holidays abroad, sky, mobile phones, meals out, electricity when the strikes were on... you get the picture:( But so what? The world has changed massively in the last 30 years. It'll change massively in the next 30 too. Some of that might even be for the better... I only have double glazing as the flat I rent is fitted with it. Not been abroad since 2009. No Sky tv either. Mobile phone is basic (not smartphone) and I doubt I'd get electricity if there was a strike in that sector...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Most of my growing up was done in the 50's and 60's. I had an incredibly happy childhood. My Dad left the RAF in 1953, and we had a new Council House by then, he had been in the RAF Regiment since 1942. In 1954 he bought a Pye television from Hills in Station Road and a 2 cylinder Jowett, in which we traveled the country until something killed it, I don't know what. It was replaced by a Citroen Rosetta, of which there are many stories.
Most of the cars he owned are incredibly rare today and are probably worth more than all the money he ever earned in his life. Apart from the Television and the cars, there was not much else for my Sister and me, it turns out I didn't need much, except the one gift my parents gave me.........Freedom. When not at school I lived up the top of the road on the Downs, with a big gang of boys and girls, you returned home when you were hungry or it was getting dark. I don't think "things" make your life better, most of it becomes junk at the end of the day.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Most of my growing up was done in the 50's and 60's. I had an incredibly happy childhood. My Dad left the RAF in 1953, and we had a new Council House by then, he had been in the RAF Regiment since 1942. In 1954 he bought a Pye television from Hills in Station Road and a 2 cylinder Jowett, in which we traveled the country until something killed it, I don't know what. It was replaced by a Citroen Rosetta, of which there are many stories.
Most of the cars he owned are incredibly rare today and are probably worth more than all the money he ever earned in his life. Apart from the Television and the cars, there was not much else for my Sister and me, it turns out I didn't need much, except the one gift my parents gave me.........Freedom. When not at school I lived up the top of the road on the Downs, with a big gang of boys and girls, you returned home when you were hungry or it was getting dark. I don't think "things" make your life better, most of it becomes junk at the end of the day.

Top post sir!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
We didn't have hot water, a bath or inside loo until 1976. Friday night was bath night at my aunt's down the road after which her 14 year old black lab, *gulp* N1gger *gulp* would slouch across us while we watched 'It's A Knockout'. Arguably, we left the house dirtier than when we went in.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I find the tone of many of the nostalgic posts interesting. The older people are almost simultaneously telling us that they had **** all when they were growing up but also that things were much better then. This could of course be my perception and I may be misreading it. I wonder how many of the 'old gits' would swap their childhood for the one our kids are experiencing? I certainly wouldn't, mainly because they are in many way not allowed their childhood. They feel ridiculous pressire.They are pressured to succeed. Pressured to fit in. Pressured to have all the right 'stuff'. Pressured to fix the environmental, social and financial problems previous generations have caused. The amount of children with anxiety problems and low self esteem is ridiculous and seemingly getting worse.

The 'things' idea is interesting and it makes we wonder what would happen to the global economy were we all to stop buying things.

We struggle financially and my kids have far fewer things than most other people we know and live in a far smaller house that most people we know but they do get our time, exercise in the garden and our love, which for me, is far more important than things, I hope anyway. Although it would ve far easier if there was an ipad app that would love them and teach them lifes lessons.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I sort of implied, but didn't write.... I wouldn't have changed a thing. My Mum died last year and left me a few quid. I want as a treat, to buy a tablet and a new second hand car. Now I have the money, I'm not buying anything......... because I can buy anything. Who'd have thought it.

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
Every one is a product of the TIMES and VALUES that they grew up in .
Looking backwards in time has no meaning to present day problems or aspirations.
Taken to extreme examples we would all be jealous of our well off neighbours who had the biggest cave or the most weather proof mud hut 3000 years ago.
Life evolves and there is no point in looking backwards.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Talking to a local farmer in these parts who is despairing that he has vacancies on his farm but can't find anyone to work, yet he has a decent house available as part of the deal. He has no choice but to get workers in from Eastern Europe.

It seems that no natives want to do the work, which means grafting a bit, getting hands dirty and longish hours, in return it is paid (not brilliant but not minimum wage either), healthy outdoor activity and you get a warm roof overhead.

Interestingly the old Victorian workhouse (now converted into quite plush flats, but there's no mistaking its rather foreboding exterior) is just along the road from the farm and is a vivid reminder of what awaited you back then if you were on your uppers. Quite a good incentive to go out and find work. No such thing as unemployment benefit, housing benefit, child benefit to ease your way etc.back then. I'm not suggesting that we should return to workhouses but somewhere along the way the balance between being motivated to work or receiving state aid because you have a genuine inability to do so seems to have been lost.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Every one is a product of the TIMES and VALUES that they grew up in .
Looking backwards in time has no meaning to present day problems or aspirations.
Taken to extreme examples we would all be jealous of our well off neighbours who had the biggest cave or the most weather proof mud hut 3000 years ago.
Life evolves and there is no point in looking backwards.

Disagree.
This is why mistakes are made, in whatever is the present....1200, 1600, 1970 etc. the younger people don't look back and learn from the experience of the past. The same mistakes are usually made anew, with the passing of each generation. One step forward two steps back.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Easy credit has a lot to answer for. As somebody posted earlier, back then we all had much the same and our back door was always unlocked, often open, but people didn't have stuff worth knicking.

We had a house so cold that ise would form on the insides of windows, we had tatty clothes with holes in the knees (and the shins covered in mud from playing football with mates) but people didn't take the piss because we were all in the same boat. now kids (& adults) have to have the best, the latest gizmoes and credit apys for it. Poor these days seems to mean kids don't have an iPad or the latest phone.

On the local news tonight there was a mother of 10 moaning that her benefits are to be capped and how she'd love to work. Yeah right, she had a massive flat screen TV and decent furniture. I'm one of 8 kids but my old man worked hard all his life. Maybe if my childhood was now we'd be one of the richest families on the street!

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
I find the tone of many of the nostalgic posts interesting. The older people are almost simultaneously telling us that they had **** all when they were growing up but also that things were much better then. This could of course be my perception and I may be misreading it. I wonder how many of the 'old gits' would swap their childhood for the one our kids are experiencing? I certainly wouldn't, mainly because they are in many way not allowed their childhood. They feel ridiculous pressire.They are pressured to succeed. Pressured to fit in. Pressured to have all the right 'stuff'. Pressured to fix the environmental, social and financial problems previous generations have caused. The amount of children with anxiety problems and low self esteem is ridiculous and seemingly getting worse.

The 'things' idea is interesting and it makes we wonder what would happen to the global economy were we all to stop buying things.

We struggle financially and my kids have far fewer things than most other people we know and live in a far smaller house that most people we know but they do get our time, exercise in the garden and our love, which for me, is far more important than things, I hope anyway. Although it would ve far easier if there was an ipad app that would love them and teach them lifes lessons.

Things don't make people happy they just feed the system that is destroying society and civilisation. Consumerism exploits division to set targets and aspiration,to create the elite through brand values.It requires people to amass product or wealth for the sole sake of status.
But for the ultimate examples of why our system is ****ed Just look at the destruction of ancient cultures by Colonialism and imposition of "western values".
Some times I think that Poll Pot had the right idea.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
In this..'I want and I want it now!' society...kids have better phones than me,better computers,better TVs and game boys...but what they don't have is the freedom to go out in the street,stick a couple of jumpers down and play football...make dens...play conkers...the only exercise they get is their thumbs on their phones/Ipods....but there again they did'nt get bundled out of bed in the early hours on a freezing cold night and shoved into an air raid shelter and trying to sleep with the thump of bombs...the constant rapid boom boom of AA fire...then in the morning hearing a neighbour saying to mum...'Oh! Mrs .....(name) house got hit last night...they are trying to find her.
I would'nt wish that on anyone and hope it never happens again...but kids are kids and do not know any different to what they are bought up with.
Now ...it's nice to see young kids coming to the Albion,excited faces,starting out on the journey which to most of them is a lifetimes journey...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here