Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

old git rant!

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
When i was a kid during the Eighties, all the kid on the neighbourhood would make go-karts together out of fruit crates and old pram wheels etc...

These days it's about who has the most expensive electric car!

We now live in a consumer society and kids are super spoilt.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
We used to play out in the street at every opportunity. During the school holidays it was all day, every day.
Kids today just can't do that.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
,MY PARENTS WERE BOTH WORKING BUT STILL NEEDED A PERSONAL LOAN TO BUY THE HOUSE FOR £5,000,

Do you mean they took out a mortgage to purchase their property?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
With the survey saying 4/10 families are cutting back on food what did the old gits not have when they were young.
I'll start double glazing,central heating,holidays abroad,sky,mobile phones,meals out,electricity when the strikes were on... you get the picture:(
We even lived in a paper bag in a septic tank:facepalm:

We licked road clean wi' tongue.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Our first car was a Morris Minor, when we stopped to fill up my dad asked the petrol pump attendant for four gallons, then gave him £1 and told him to keep the change. Happy days.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
As a child living in a village in the 1950s we did not have:
television
fridge
telephone
washing machine
car
central heating
supermarket

We got our first television in 1962. Our first washing machine and fridge in 1965. Our first car in 1968 (a Ford Anglia). A house with central heating in 1971. The nearest thing to a supermarket was Sainsbury's grocery shop in Western Road, Hove, which wasn't self-service, but I remember buying sachets of shampoo for 2d in Mitchell's at the bottom of Brunswick Road, because that was all we could afford. No such thing as conditioner, then. We used vinegar or lemon juice in the rinsing.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
In Park Terrace East in Horsham, just before the demolished the major part of the estate two houses shared one toilet, fact, early 60's. The bath was under the draining board in the kitchen and you had to walk down the end of the garden, to the shared toilet, for a poo .... not nice! (Or take the bucket down there!)

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Today's pensioners had jobs for life, final salary pensions, free education, free council houses, right to buy cheap mortgages, free bus passes, heating allowance and the ones in my family go on three cruises a year.

They are the least suffering demographic. For those that are suffering, it's their own fault - My generation won't get any of the above and neither will my kids.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Then again house prices were affordable for the previous generation. Our young people who are not from a wealthy background have virtually NO chance of getting their own place let alone thinking that they may one day aspire to a house with 3 rooms and a decent size garden.

Nor will they have the chance to make the huge amount of money that has been made on property by the previous generation.

Energy bills in the last 8 years bills have gone up 140%. Salaries by contrast went up by only 20%.

Council tax has gone up 100% in the last 10 years.

Petrol prices are up 26% in the last 2 years alone.

I could go on. My only point is these are tough times for the majority of ordinary people. And the older generation should be able to see some reasons why, whatever their previous hardships.

Add to this a free University education, with government grants too! There's nothing like pulling up the rope ladder after you've got to the top, is there?

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Add to this a free University education, with government grants too! There's nothing like pulling up the rope ladder after you've got to the top, is there?

that's the point I was trying to make, you said it much better than I did.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
And don't forget that these old gits will get the luxury of being looked after in their old age by their grateful offspring.

:)

We won't be able to look after our parents, we both have to work to keep the roof over our head. They will most likely end up in an old peoples home, that'll be paid for out of what's left of their estate leaving no inheritance for Mr&Mrs Chris001.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here